Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had maybe a dozen M95 carbines and the one that I miss the most was the one with the Bulgarian crest (pic), as I haven't stumbled onto another.

My question today is about one that appears to have been re-barrelled with a Cz barrel or by the Czechs themselves. It appears to have the two-headed Austrian eagle proof and the "Circle T" Cz refurb proof and no early date stamping on the top of the barrel. The barrel is a darker blue than the receiver and its serial number stamping has not been worked over. The handguard has two partial circle stamps (similar to Czech?) and the top of the buttstock has boxed markings similar to those on M91/59's and some other Mosin carbines that (I think) were imported from Bulgarian storage depots. I mostly kept it because the bore is very sharp and shiney - the best of any that I have seen. Is this barrel marking somewhat common or relatively uncommon? Thanks, DDR

(Sling in one of "TP"'s excellent reproductions.)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey DDR, I have at least one of the circle T proofed weapons. My understanding is that the circle T stood for Tegelstahl, a type of steel used by the Austrians. I thought the cicle T for the Czechs came later than their use of the M95. On the other hand I am surprised that the barrel doesn't have the letter suffix stamped on it.
Mc

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looks like a late Austrian replacement barrel--no acceptance date, so maybe it went straight to Bulgaria around '38. Does it have a banded front sight?

-Devo

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks! Yes, it does have a banded front sight.

Of course I find this information after I made the post, but going back to a 2002 posting from DocAV, he mentions that there was a contract in 1919 for the "repair and refurbishment" of a quantity of M95 carbines by Czechoslovakia. He also mentions (2003 posting) that the circled "T" on the M95's stands for "T-Stahl", an improved barrel steel used in M95's for re-barrelling. DDR

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
I've had maybe a dozen M95 carbines and the one that I miss the most was the one with the Bulgarian crest (pic), as I haven't stumbled onto another.

My question today is about one that appears to have been re-barrelled with a Cz barrel or by the Czechs themselves. It appears to have the two-headed Austrian eagle proof and the "Circle T" Cz refurb proof and no early date stamping on the top of the barrel. The barrel is a darker blue than the receiver and its serial number stamping has not been worked over. The handguard has two partial circle stamps (similar to Czech?) and the top of the buttstock has boxed markings similar to those on M91/59's and some other Mosin carbines that (I think) were imported from Bulgarian storage depots. I mostly kept it because the bore is very sharp and shiney - the best of any that I have seen. Is this barrel marking somewhat common or relatively uncommon? Thanks, DDR

(Sling in one of "TP"'s excellent reproductions.)
One of my BRNO M95 Carbines has the same barrel proof -

'"T' circled = Tegelstahl. Gun rebarrelled with a new type quality steel barrel. Originally an Austrian mark. Mark maybe found under the woodline. Also found on Czech guns made after WW1 "

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have many stampings on my Steyr M95, looks like a t with a c or circle. A K on the top by where the action/bolt slips over. A B or upside down B and what looks like an H. It has 2679 on the wooden buttstock and 2679J stamped on the barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts