Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange experience with ONE magazine in my CZ-82s. I have bought 2 guns from Centerfire Systems in the past month or so, and each came with 2 mags, one with a thick baseplate and one thin. I have also bought one new mag from CZ-USA (which has a thin baseplate too.)

One of the thin baseplate mags will not reliably drop free from either gun. In the newer (to me) gun, the mag WILL reliably drop free IF I loosen EITHER one of the grip screws 1/8 turn from gently but tightly all the way in. On the other gun, the mag will not reliably drop free even with the grips off. Sometimes it drops, sometimes it doesn't. I THINK it hangs up on the magazine catch, which doesn't seem to QUITE retract all the way into the frontstrap (if you get up close and look at it with a strong light behind.) But all the other mags just drop in and drop out freely (even when empty and so are at their lightest weight) when the magazine release is depressed from either side. Hangup with the sticky mag occurs regardless of which side of the mag release you press.

The sticky magazine seems to be in excellent shape. (In fact, all of the magazines seem remarkably blemish free - only the thick baseplates show chipping paint.) When fully inserted and locked there seems to be the same clearance between the sticky mag and front strap as with any of the other mags. There are no signs of dragging or other abrasion anywhere on it. And it feeds ammo just fine. I THINK the sticky one is the thin-baseplate mag that came with the second gun, but didn't mark any of them so can't be sure. It has the CZ crossed sabers, so I presume it's genuine.

Anybody else had this experience? After being spoiled by Makarov magazine prices of a few years ago I look at the $25 & up price on the CZ mags as not something you just throw away (although I can always look at HK P7 mag prices to get grounded in reality.) I'm thinking I'll just have to mark it for range use only, but if anyone has other suggestions I'm open to listening.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Have you cleaned the mag well REALLY good? Try a little lube too.
Most likely, usage will loosen them up. HTH

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had this same problem with my Star BM, and the mag follower wasn't locking the slide back and that was causing the mag to hang up. I had to actually pry it out. I tweaked the follower a little and haven't had any problems since. Don't know if you're problem is the same, but it's worth checking in to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sticky CZ82 mags

Just got what appears to be a new CZ82 today from Aim. Everything apprars to be new, the holster, the mags, and the pistol has no wear anywhere, barrel, hammer, nothing. Everything appears brand new. Both the mags will only drop down about a quarter inch and then you have to pull the them out. I am hoping that some use will cause this problem to cure itself in time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check to see if you loosen the grip screws and it drops free. I found that there is a little area of material around the grip screw on the inside of the grip that rubs the magazine. You can see this if you remove one grip panel and insert the mag to see where it rubs. I recessed the area and they drop free.

·
Copper Bullet member
489 Posts
drop free

I'm not sure if these mags are designed to be drop free. However, mine usually do.

The mag release button is a bit notorious on these for causing mag release issues. The 2 solutions are buy a new mag release button (which will have a different pattern on the exterior too), or remove the existing one and clean up the inner edges that rub at an angle on the mag release. Apparently, the angular surface of the button may not be even on each side which causes one side of the button to work better than the other. It may also cause the mag to have problems releasing since the catch is not moved correctly by the inside of the button. I have read a couple opinions that the edges of the button that contact the release are not machined, but ground manually (or look like that).

Mine releases good from one side, but not from the other. I have a new mag button I bought from CZUSA that I have yet to install. I'm not looking forward to it in case I knock my slide spring loose! Those are easy to lose and hard to install!

If you are just absolutely sure its the mag, check the position of the insert hole for the mag release for a good one, compared to the bad. Maybe a bit of filing or sanding will help on one of the edges of the hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts