Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody out there tinkered with the safety on a CZ-82?

Mine is very loose, loose enough that my thumb can nudge the weapon into safe while I'm recovering from my last shot. I guess I've got a bit of a high grip. There's no definite click or anything, the safety lever goes into and out of safe without any resisitance at all.

I've seen the exploded view parts illustration from the CZ-83 manual, and it looks like nothing much more than drifting a pin and sliding a few parts off the frame, checking to see that they're working properly.

Has anybody done this? Any thoughts?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Stay Tuned!

As much as I'd like to help you out here, I'm still waiting for my CZ-82 to arrive from SOG.

After that blessed event, I will dicker around with it and see if I can come up with a more or less rational, practical and expeditious way to take it apart and put it back together again, much as I did for the CZ-52.

Only then will I be able to respond to these queries with a modicum of intelligence.

Until then, hopefully someone else out there or in here has a better clue than I do!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Just pulled one of mine apart. I looks to me there is a pin that is pressured against the left side of safety that causes tension to keep safety from moving.
You may try to WD40 and/or pick at it if it's stuck. This is the best I can do.

A push pin in the tang, by cocked hammer seems to hold the safety together.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I took out the pin Mr. Mitch mentioned, took the safety off, removed the safety catch and the safety catch spring. I cleaned and lubed them, reassembled, and nothing changed.

After tinkering with it for a while, with no results, I called CZ-USA and spoke with one of their gunsmiths there, Mike. Mike had never encountered this situation before either, but he talked me through what was supposed to be happening and helped me figure out (well, he pretty much told me) what was wrong.

The safety catch is supposed to get its tension from the friction it generates as is passes over a ball bearing on the frame. Sure enough, I didn't have the ball bearing.

On the exploded parts view from the CZ-83 owners manual, http://www.cz-usa.com/data/downloads/support_manuals/CZ_83.pdf, the bearing is labeled "steel ball" and is part number 20.

I ordered the ball and another safety catch spring, since I may have screwed up the spring trying to fix the safety. Total price, including shipping, about $9. When everything gets here, it will probably be ready to go in less than 15 minutes.

Mike at CZ-USA was a huge help. Mike, if you read this, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts