Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, had a problem with my CZ-82. Lost the spring that tensions the slide stop. Bought some bobby pins and reshaped a pin to make the slide stop work. Took about an hour of fiddling but it works. I have fired 200 rounds since the fix, seems to be holding up fine. Just wanted to post this if someone else has the same problem (heard it is pretty common if you remove the grip panels) (I did this right after getting it home), looked for the spring and vacumed the floor where I disasembled, with no joy. Hope this helps someone.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Amazing!

Isn't it just amazing how those little springs can just vanish into thin air without leaving a trace behind?!

CZ-52 sear springs are infamous for that, too.

Here's a tip; go around in your bare feet for a while; you might not see it but if you step on it you'll more than likely FEEL it!
I've actually found several stray itty-bitties that way - usually quite unintentionally after I had abandoned the search for them.

Another way is to drag a magnet around.

A Dental Assistant in here makes those springs out of brace wire - but your bobby pin trick sure is a daisy!!
I'll have to remember that for when I lose mine...
as I surely will do, sooner or later.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Norm Sutton, who posts on this forum, has replacement slide stop springs available when yours decides to visit a parallel universe.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I used to be pretty good at unorthodox replacements and remember using a bobby pin somewhere.
In fact I have a ball-point pen spring in my Bushy AR15 that works just fine. No need to order one. I even save the pins from metal watch straps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Norm Sutton, who posts on this forum, has replacement slide stop springs available when yours decides to visit a parallel universe.
Thanks for the info wrangler. When I lost mine there was no options for replacement. Good to know there are options now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Slide stop spring

Gentlemen,
I just recently purchased one of the Centerfire CZ 82's ($159.99
) and even though it is a little rough, internally it is in superb shape. In my hast to check out the internals of the pistol I pulled a bonehead and broke the slide stop spring when I punched out the slide stop. I now realize that I should have just left well enough alone. From now on it is just the quick tear down for routine maintenance.
It just sheared off in the small retainer hole on the shaft of the slide stop.
My first question is, is there a replacement spring, and second how hard is it to replace? I am fairly good with assembly and disassembly, but I've never dealt with this type of pistol. With the barrel machined as a part of the frame, it looks like this spring is almost impossible to get to. Help please.

BTW, this thing shoots superbly w/Sellier and Bellot factory loads. 1.25" @ 15 yds.

Thanks

·
Registered
480 Posts
<snip> My first question is, is there a replacement spring, and second how hard is it to replace? <snip>
Just went through this myself a few weeks ago. It's scary (the first time - hope I don't have to do it a second time, although if I do it will be a piece of cake.)

First, Norm Sutton, who posts on this forum regularly, offers replacement springs at a very reasonable price. They come in two flavors depending on the type of pin the spring hooks over - I have 2 82s from Centerfire and they have different pins, so write Norm and ask which one you need. Whatever style spring you need, buy several, to be sure you never need more than one. ;)

First, remove the magazine, slide, recoil spring and grips. Then, replacement of the slide stop spring requires that you remove the trigger guard/mag release. This part is held on with a single pin below the mag release button. You can drive it out after you remove the grips . It is not tapered so you can drive it out from either side. The trigger guard comes off as a unit, and there are no loose parts to fly away, so you don't have to worry about doing this in a clear plastic bag.

Once the trigger guard is off, you can see the pin that the front (hook or loop) of the spring has to go over. It took me some fiddling with tweezers to get the spring end stuck in the slide stop shaft hole and then the other end over the front pin, but it's just a manipulation project - nothing secret, just fiddly.

Putting the trigger guard back on simply requires that you exert some pressure on the front part of the guard, pushing toward the grip, to align the hole in the guard with the holes in the frame, so you can push the hinge pin back in. I used one of the padded jaw bar clamps that Vice Grip offers, but I believe you could do it by hand if you have a strong grip.

Given the reputation of these guns for being tricky to reassemble, the worst part of this project is anticipating that difficulty. But in fact, as Norm assured me (correctly,) there is nothing of that sort to worry about with this particular repair.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kip

·
Registered
9 Posts
CZ 82 problems

Kip,
Thanks for the detailed description. Doesn't sound bad at all. I really appreciate the help. I'll write Norm and get a couple springs coming. Cheers to you too.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts