Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get burned up here, flamed, let me say that I own and enjoy three Makarov's; an East German, Russian IJ70, and a Bulgarian. All great guns. BUT, the CZ-82 has it all over them. Better trigger, more ammunition, (12 VS. 8), better magazine release. It's more accurate than any of them. I carried my East German as a back up to my Glock 21 when I was a LEO, but switched after I shot the CZ82. I'm not selling my Mak's, but the Czech rides in my pocket pretty often.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Not exactly sure what your point with the thread is, except to "get burned up" or flamed, it sounds pretty much like you want an arguement unless there is some point I am missing.

But that said, I have shot a half dozen CZ82's, and do not own one yet, I do own, and carry a Mak almost every day. I think you are right, there is no comparison, but in my case the Mak wins. Goes to show you how much personal preference goes into a choice.

Enjoyyour CZ82, glad you found something that works well for you :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I've had standard Maks and sold all but the IJ-70. You just can't beat the thin outline and logical design, a design I believe rails over any Walther due to the simplicity and the milled parts. As far as reliability, they can't be beat. I just sold my military ones to get the money to buy other toys.

I had a CZ-82 and did like it, but sold it within a few months. It is too wide to carry and every time I removed the grips to clean the gun, the darn trigger-something pin would fall out. There's a lot of tiny parts and I just wasn't comfortable with them.

I just bought a P-83 and it's great. It's a little too heavy for me to carry, but the larger grip surface is much more comfortable to shoot with than the standard Maks. I even score better with the P-83 and it is my new 9x18 range gun.

If I carry, I use a Seecamp or the Polish P-64. The P-64 is not a range gun to me, but a perfect fit for CCW. It's a small Mak actually.

·
Registered
372 Posts
They all have there strengths and weaknesses so that makes it a personal preference thing. If I had the money I would own at least one of each. Heck, Tell me where else you can get a solid all metal gun that is built like a tank and will out last most of us. I hate plastic guns and I LOVE all the different 9x18 caliber guns. They are all a piece of history. A plastic gun is just a plastic gun.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
In a Combat situation the CZ-82 beats all, the Ruskies in Afghan. thought of the Mak as a last resort to commit suicide!
However for carrying as a CCW gun, my Keltec PF-9 beats my Maks,P-64 and even all other guns!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
That 'suicide' quote was attributed to a Russian sniper in Afghanistan. I imagine he probably would've said the same about the CZ82.
Dont know about that, the 82 had a lot more firepower as well as came issued with special Czech ammo which was about 1/3 more powerful than standard 9x18 ammo!
I myself dont see the big Hoopla about the Maks, even though i have 4 which i got yrs ago cheap! I only got them because they were about $130. a piece.
But they beat throwing a rock, but for self-defense not realy a great choice!

·
Administrator
8,029 Posts
Special Czech ammo? Right.

Why post on the Makarov forum where fans of the pistol congregate that the Makarov is not really a good choice? Strange behavior. Having a hard time riling up your favorite forum?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Well this is the Makarov forum and we're pretty tolerant of others but every now and then some of the others will rattle the box and get something stirred up.
Special Ammo for the CZ-82, How many have ever seen any or better yet shot any?
Yeah, they hold a few more rounds but I don't think I need to rely on that, if I did I'd have one of the Tupperware guns with the 30 round mags.
How many CZ-82 owners can strip them completely down, I mean remove every spring, pin etc. put the parts in a bag and put it back together in just a few minutes.
Don't get me wrong I've got a couple of 82's and a 83, do I shoot them? yes. Do I carry them? no.:tisk:

·
Silver Bullet Member
794 Posts
I'm a fan of both pistols. I have 2 82's (actually one is an 83) and 3 Maks (1 Bulgie and 2 EG's). My favorite of the 2 switches back and forth between them. I certainly can't say which is better, I'm hardly an authority, but each has it's strengths and weaknesses (e.g. CZ: better sights and higher capacity, Mak: slimmer profile & simplicity of design). Simply put, they are both great and I see no need to get into a pissing match over which better.

·
Gold Bullet member
685 Posts
I prefer shooting the CZ-82 , but I prefer the simplicity of the MAK. I have yet to disassemble a CZ-82 past a full field strip and firing pin removal, because I am afraid of it. I have completely disassembled and re-assembled my maks, including barrel changes, many times. The only hard parts are the barrel press and getting the trig guard and spring back together.

I need to refinish a few CZ 82's, but fear keeps me from attempting it.

D

·
Platinum Bullet Member
78 Posts
the Ruskies in Afghan. thought of the Mak as a last resort to commit suicide!
This is a loose quote from "Snipers Paradise Interviews A Soviet SPETsNAZ Vet Of The War In Afghanistan" By David M. Fortier 2003. It is too bad that the next sentence is never quoted as much yours. "but that could be said about all handguns" or "but it was considered extremely cool by soldiers to have one".

And the reason for his quote was to make the point that the Afghans did not engage at pistol ranges but rifle ranges. The article also states that everyone, officers included, dropped their pistols as useless and "carried AK's into combat" because of that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a CZ83, sort of wish I'd kept it - good pistol but I found a good deal on a BDA .380acp I wanted it's my 'BBQ' gun. I have my Mak as primary ccw and Beretta .32acp as back-up usually. I'm eyeing the CZ 82 now that some nice ones are becomeing available as a back-up weapon to my '06 bolt. I pair long guns w/a back-up pistol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.