Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wideners has them both, and the PA-63 is $229 with two mags and surplus holster (like the CZ 82). The CZ 82 is double stack and $279... is CZ 82 worth the extra $50 over the aluminum framed PA-63?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
You did not mention a use for them if indeed a specific one is planned. if it is to be a CC pistol the PA-63 is the smaller and lighter of the two, which is not to say the CZ is large, just larger in the grip. But of the two, I would personally much prefer the CZ as a defensive pistol.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Own both, and the PA-63 is my go-to for carry. Very easy to hide in a waistband holster, and a slightly long T-Shirt. Winter months I'd have no problem with the CZ, when wearing thicker clothes.
As to shooting at the range. The PA-63s well known muzzle flip can get a bit old. Still enjoy time with it. The CZ-82 is a sweetheart to shoot.
Sorry I can't give a strong vote one way or the other. But if you comfortable with the slightly larger size of the CZ, and can only have one, I'd lean toward the CZ.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just returned from the range after shooting my new (to me) CZ 82. I'm completely sold on it. It fits for me and it's an accurate and reliable weapon. I cycled through 6 mags of Red Army Standard 9x18 with no problems.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been browsing youtube videos most of the weekend on the CZ 82 and the PA-63, and I have to say, it is a hardsell... But I just checked Wideners, and the CZ 82 is now showing out of stock... If my funds arrive in time, then it looks as though I will go for the PA-63.

As for my intension; carry & range is what I have in mind... But mainly I want to try and fill the vo8id of passing on the $89 Makarovs all those years ago.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been browsing youtube videos most of the weekend on the CZ 82 and the PA-63, and I have to say, it is a hardsell... But I just checked Wideners, and the CZ 82 is now showing out of stock... If my funds arrive in time, then it looks as though I will go for the PA-63.

As for my intension; carry & range is what I have in mind... But mainly I want to try and fill the vo8id of passing on the $89 Makarovs all those years ago.
SOG has the CZ 82 in stock http://www.southernohiogun.com/handguns-1/surplus-handguns/cz-82-9x18-w-hols-andextra-mag-1.html

·
Gold Bullet member
1,099 Posts
The PA63 has more recoil and is not pleasant to shoot and parts are not easy to get. I believe FEG is now out of business. The CZ83 is pleasant for a mid-size and new parts can be obtained directly from CZUSA. The FEG is more compact for concealed carry as the double stack frame of the CZ requires it to be wider. If I could own only one and would use it at the range, I would definitely get the CZ . You won't think about the slightly higher price after you own the CZ but I think you would regret the PA63 every time at the range. (Others don't object to the PA's recoil and muzzle flip).

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,909 Posts
My FFL receiver who is also the best quality gunsmith in this Metro area gave me his professional opinion on the PA 63 versus CZ 82. Oh, and he is pretty well known for his pistol skills at Camp Perry shoots.

He told me to stay away from the PA 63 and their aluminum. He will not even look at a PA 63 for the fact that so many after a bunch of range shooting have problems he cannot fix for them. Then customers get upset because he cannot do some thing about it for them. Namely cracked or broken frames with the aluminum. He will not even take one in for a trade. I listened and now have 3 CZ 82 that I will not part from.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had read somewhere that you did not want to shoot a very hot load through the PA-63 because of the aluminum frame. I am still waiting on funding to be in place, as I may opt for one of the CZ 82's at SOG.

What is eating at me, is I also want a revolver. I purchased an older (& worn) Taurus M82 as my first revolver, but have my doubts about it being a "shooter" So while I am actively seeking my first Makarov, I am also seeking a nice wheel gun... so many guns, so little funds.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I had read somewhere that you did not want to shoot a very hot load through the PA-63 because of the aluminum frame. I am still waiting on funding to be in place, as I may opt for one of the CZ 82's at SOG.

What is eating at me, is I also want a revolver. I purchased an older (& worn) Taurus M82 as my first revolver, but have my doubts about it being a "shooter" So while I am actively seeking my first Makarov, I am also seeking a nice wheel gun... so many guns, so little funds.
Contact Taurus, tell them you have a worn used revolver you are not sure about. They have a lifetime warrantee which they honor well, you will probably send it in for a rebuild to like new. And you will soon probably be told its not worth it because Taurus are so lousy, since you already own it go for it. and just let them spout off. MOST people I have talked to who spout of about Taurus never owned one, but yes they have had some issues in the past with spotty QC. But, then again the ONLY revolver which ever gave me problems was a Smith, so no firearm company is perfect.

For a new carry wheel gun look real close at the Ruger LCR, they have the sweetest DA trigger I have ever felt on a stock handgun. They carry ighty nicely too.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,047 Posts
My CZ82 is my Jeep gun... It has 2 Hi-cap mags with it as well, that's a lot of firepower from a great point and shoot piece. Since it's a heavy gun, the recoil to weight ration allows for a perfect shooter. I have no experience with the PA-63 and nothing against it as a shooter, just doesnt do anything for me.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,099 Posts
If you want a Makarov, I hope you are aware that the PA63 and CZ82 are not real Maks; they only use the same caliber ammo. Instead of ordering one of the two mentioned pistols, consider taking your $300 or so to an Alabama gun show (the AGCA show in Birmingham is this weekend) and buy a surplus Bulgarian military Mak or a Russian commercial Mak. Both are in your price range and you would not have to pay shipping or a transfer fee. IN MY OPINION, either of those (and I prefer the Bulgarian) are much superior to the PA63 and better for most purposes than the CZ.

·
Registered
46 Posts
]If you want a Makarov, I hope you are aware that the PA63 and CZ82 are not real Maks; they only use the same caliber ammo. Instead of ordering one of the two mentioned pistols, consider taking your $300 or so to an Alabama gun show (the AGCA show in Birmingham is this weekend) and buy a surplus Bulgarian military Mak or a Russian commercial Mak. Both are in your price range and you would not have to pay shipping or a transfer fee. IN MY OPINION, either of those (and I prefer the Bulgarian) are much superior to the PA63 and better for most purposes than the CZ.[/QUOTE]

I cannot agree more with Jarred 52. I have a CZ 82, a Russian and Bulgarian Makarov. The PA-63 I have considered, but need at least 3 more Makarovs before that consideration becomes very serious.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I know the PA-63 and the CZ 82 are not Makarovs... but they are the closest in 9X18 surplus items that are arriving at a couple of the online retailers. True Makarovs are fetching premium most days on the auction sites, and I just do not have $400 - $600 in spare change to put on one. I would rather have a Bulgarian first or Russian makarov second if I could find the right one. Until then, the CZ 82 at SOG is looking like what I could end up with.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll add one more to the list... *I can still put my hands on a Baikal IJ-70 commercial Makarov (hi-cap) for around $319. I really liked the adjustable sights and the feel of the h-cap grip... I'll check back at the local gun store to see if it is still available...

·
Administrator
4,834 Posts
I'll add one more to the list... *I can still put my hands on a Baikal IJ-70 commercial Makarov (hi-cap) for around $319. I really liked the adjustable sights and the feel of the h-cap grip... I'll check back at the local gun store to see if it is still available...
These days that's not a bad price for a hi-cap but you need to be aware that the original Russian hi-cap mags are what you want, most of the aftermarket hi-cap mags are pretty much junk and original hi-cap mags are expensive. Also the adjustable sights are on the fragile side and if you break them replacement parts are almost impossible to find. Spend a little more and get a bulgie, in the long run you'll be happier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts