Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my CZ-82, recently obtained from SOG, to the range today. Actually, it was something like a family day at the range type of thing. My daughter loves guns, and my wife, well, likes to shoot some now and then... :)

The gun performed very well. The point of aim is a bit low, but I got 4 inch groups at 10 yards and 10 inch groups at 25 yards free-handed, which I consider good for me. :)

Ammo. Got one jam in 200 rounds with Sellier and Bellot FMJ, which might be related to the problem described below, and 3 jams out of 25 (!!) rounds of Hornady's JHP/XTP. Apparently, hollow points don't feed well in this firearm. Well, no big deal, S&B are also much cheaper. ;)

Now the problem. It manifested itself at the end of our shooting match, so at first I attributed it to the gun being dirty already. But it was still happening when I cleaned the gun and dry-fired it a couple of times.
It looks like the pistol switches to the DA mode all by itself with the cocked hammer. When I pull the trigger, it sort of "catches" the hammer, just like in the double action mode and if I pull it more, releases it. Of, if I stop pulling, returns it to the un-cocked position. It happens suddenly, with no apparent cause. Once you **** the gun, pull the trigger and it dry-fires, next time, you do the same thing, the trigger "gets caught".

As I'm typing this, I'm dry-firing the gun occasionally. So far, the trigger behaves normally. Maybe, a thorough cleaning has helped it?

So, I need some advice. Is it like "remove a dead cockroach from the mechanism" type of thing, is it easily correctable by bending something a little or should I take the pistol to the gunsmith and have it inspected? I don't do CCW or anything like that, it's mostly a recreational family-bonding thing, but eventually I might go for a concealed carry permit...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for your replies, though I think I have an update. The problem seems to manifest itself only when the gun is over-greased (like during the cleaning) or very dirty (I suddenly realized that 200 rounds is a lot to put through it in one day :)) I dry-fired the gun a couple hundred times after cleaning, no sign of trouble.

Also, I've been searching for info on JHP feeding issues with CZ-82, got some interesting info on the web... Maybe, I'll try some HPs one more time.

·
Copper Bullet member
918 Posts
Thank you guys for your replies, though I think I have an update. The problem seems to manifest itself only when the gun is over-greased (like during the cleaning) or very dirty (I suddenly realized that 200 rounds is a lot to put through it in one day :)) I dry-fired the gun a couple hundred times after cleaning, no sign of trouble.

Also, I've been searching for info on JHP feeding issues with CZ-82, got some interesting info on the web... Maybe, I'll try some HPs one more time.
field strip it,take the grips off and give it a good soak in mineral spirits. then dry it and hit the moving parts with breakfree clp. prehaps you have some cosmo old grease and gunk in the working parts. you should be able to fire it as many as you want. my only problem has beem the slide release spring releasing itself, and having to be put back in.

·
Copper Bullet member
489 Posts
HP rounds

I have tried several brands of 9x18 HP's in my CZ82. It has a well smoothed, armory tuned feed ramp. I have tried Hornady, silver bear 94g, silver bear 115g, RAM HP, and Reeds HP. I might be forgetting some.

Only silver bear HP has fed ok for me. I never have issues with feeding except after about 150-200 rounds with silver bear HP. The ramp just gets to chalky and black for feeding.

I haven't had any issues with FMJ feeding badly except for wolf coneheads and the shellac'd rounds by wolf and others. S&B, silver bear FMJ, RAM FMJ, Mesko, S&B steel cased, and numerous other FMJ's have all worked fine.

IF you go for extended shooting sessions of 3-4 boxes or more, use FMJ after 3 boxes or so. Hornady makes fine ammo, but their HP rounds don't feed well in any of my 9x18 pistols.

·
Copper Bullet member
918 Posts
I have tried several brands of 9x18 HP's in my CZ82. It has a well smoothed, armory tuned feed ramp. I have tried Hornady, silver bear 94g, silver bear 115g, RAM HP, and Reeds HP. I might be forgetting some.

Only silver bear HP has fed ok for me. I never have issues with feeding except after about 150-200 rounds with silver bear HP. The ramp just gets to chalky and black for feeding.

I haven't had any issues with FMJ feeding badly except for wolf coneheads and the shellac'd rounds by wolf and others. S&B, silver bear FMJ, RAM FMJ, Mesko, S&B steel cased, and numerous other FMJ's have all worked fine.

IF you go for extended shooting sessions of 3-4 boxes or more, use FMJ after 3 boxes or so. Hornady makes fine ammo, but their HP rounds don't feed well in any of my 9x18 pistols.
ive only shot a couple of mags of the hornady, and they worked without a hitch in my cz82. do they fail for you immedately or or after several mags?

·
Copper Bullet member
489 Posts
Hornady

I get a jam at least once every 3rd mag in my CZ82. In my P64, more often. It has been a long while since I tried it in my Mak but it seems like I had problems every mag or 2.

As mentioned, I can get 3 or 4 boxes of silver bear through without issue on any of my Mak caliber pistols.

·
Copper Bullet member
918 Posts
I get a jam at least once every 3rd mag in my CZ82. In my P64, more often. It has been a long while since I tried it in my Mak but it seems like I had problems every mag or 2.

As mentioned, I can get 3 or 4 boxes of silver bear through without issue on any of my Mak caliber pistols.
so you can get through about 3 mags of HP ammo before an issue? (HP other than silver bear) i think i need to order some silver bear HP just to be sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.