Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The grip screws on my new-to-me CZ-82 keep coming loose. I have to tighten them every 2 magazines.

The original grips were cracked, so I ordered a new set from CZ-USA. They are for a CZ-83, of course, and needed a bit of Dremel work on the backs before they would fit flush all around (CZ told me this at the time I placed the order, and since I have the tools I went ahead.) I know I could use Loctite, but am wondering if there's a simple fitting issue I've overlooked that would solve the problem without resort to chemicals? I've NEVER had a set of grips come loose so fast, and I've owned a lot of guns over the years.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You might try going to one of the BIG hardware stores where you could find an assortment of neoprene O rings. Get a pair that fit snug around the grip screws.

·
Registered
719 Posts
CZ 82 Grips

I had the same problem with mine. I believe that the grips have a very small amount of free play in them allowing the pistol rotate slightly upon recoil. The right side is the one that kept coming loose on mine. I used Loctite on mine to cure the problem. If you do, be sure to use the non permanent type.
The only other thing that could be done would be to glass bed the grips very carefully so to eliminate the free play that I spoke of earlier.
6.5x55 MOA

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had some tiny lock washers that actually fit under the screw heads. Tightened them just snug, not tight.

·
Copper Bullet member
489 Posts
I have tried locktite, lock washers, and finally, orings. Check out the parts blowup for a CZ-83. There are oring like inserts on the grips. My CZ-82 never came with them. I am using viton orings, which are working much better than anything else so far. I think if I got softer oring materials, like silicon or even neoprene, it might work the best. Viton orings are hard and my grip screws came loose after about 10 mags worth of rounds at the range.

I started looking into orings after I read a post on the CZuser forum about the inserts missing from wooden grips from CZ.

CZUSA sells grips, grip screws and such for cheap. I have not tried the grip inserts from CZUSA if they sell them seperately. I did not get them with the grips I bought from CZUSA.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<snip> CZUSA sells grips, grip screws and such for cheap. I have not tried the grip inserts from CZUSA if they sell them seperately. I did not get them with the grips I bought from CZUSA.
Good catch, Steve. I never noticed the grip insert item on the diagram (you can't actually see it on the diagram, just an indication of a part number) and didn't study the parts list. I didn't ask for the inserts when I ordered the grip from CZUSA, although they were so explicit about the need for fitting current (CZ-83) grips to a CZ-82 that I'm a little surprised they didn't mention the part on their own. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If you have cz83 grips they did have a small barrel sleeve on the screw. My CZ83 in 380 has them. My cz82's don't.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Your screws came loose because the grips were shifting from use. You need to either use the inserts made for them or bed the screws in - Locktite thread repair is OK, or any filled epoxy paste if you are careful. Be careful to use a release agent on the screw and use very little bedding, and only under the screw head. Unscrew when the epoxy has set enough to stay in place but before its completely hardened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts