Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to pick up my first CZ-82 tomorrow. I have been searching the internet for awhile, but I could not find any instruction that show me how to completely take CZ-82/83 apart. Anyone out there know how, please post your instruction here.

Thank you very much.
Cal
:confused:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks, Norm. The Owner's Manual gives basic field stripping instructions. Despite the "field stripping" label on this thread, what I think travinh is (and certainly what I am) looking for are the instructions for the next steps that go to full dissassembly. So -- once you have the slide off and take the grips off, what next? It seems to be all pins from there on, but which pin to you remove first? Is it tapered so that it only goes out from one side or is it cylindrical? Are there pieces that fly out after you remove that next pin so that you need to do it in a plastic bag? When you start to put a part back in, do you need to put pressure on some other part so things go together easily?

That's the sort of info that's available on the net for a lot of different handguns, but something I have been searching for (unsuccessfully) for the CZ-82/83.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Stand By for "Shop Notes - CZ-82" (?)

I found pretty much the same deal for the CZ-52 when I first started buying them - so I just gathered up a bunch of tools and dove right in like I normally do!

But having embarrassed myself a few times by forgetting how things are supposed to go back together, I keep notes, draw sketches, and take photographs along the way so that I can "back up" if and when I get stuck.

After having torn my Czech-O-Matics down to the toenails a couple of times to see what makes them tick (as well as to clean the cosmo out of them) and gotten them back together again, I had accumulated a pretty good assortment of notes, sketches, and pictures.
So when I come in here and find people begging for information, I can refer to my notes (I keep most of 'em on computer file or in a 3-ring binder) and at least share what worked for me.

After a while it seemed natural to just share my material with everybody here in case they might find it useful, as I guess a few have. Never really did fill out my "Shop Notes" posting though; it suffers from a distinct lack of organization and there are a lot of things left out. I've started "updating" it a few times, but now I'm wondering if I ought to just start over again from scratch.
We'll see.

I have also done similar projects for the SKS Fire Control Group (Trigger) and the VZ-52 7.62 X 45mm Rifle.

It's kinda fun, actually!

So unless some genius comes up with a reliable, comprehensive shop manual on the CZ-82, I might just do the same trick on that and see what happens, now that I've got one on order.

Paid SOG by check so i expect it to be held pending check clearance for a couple of weeks anyway.

That's OK; got plenty of things to diddle with in the meantime!

But shortly after the LBT delivers it and I get it unwrapped, we're going down to the shop together and get intimate!! {8^{D~

("Don't worry about that little box, Martha; It's just a powder activated sex toy...")

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Uncle Jaque,
I am really excited to check out your CZ-82 "Shop Notes".
Please post it here when it is available.
Thanks,
Cal

I found pretty much the same deal for the CZ-52 when I first started buying them - so I just gathered up a bunch of tools and dove right in like I normally do!

But having embarrassed myself a few times by forgetting how things are supposed to go back together, I keep notes, draw sketches, and take photographs along the way so that I can "back up" if and when I get stuck.

After having torn my Czech-O-Matics down to the toenails a couple of times to see what makes them tick (as well as to clean the cosmo out of them) and gotten them back together again, I had accumulated a pretty good assortment of notes, sketches, and pictures.
So when I come in here and find people begging for information, I can refer to my notes (I keep most of 'em on computer file or in a 3-ring binder) and at least share what worked for me.

After a while it seemed natural to just share my material with everybody here in case they might find it useful, as I guess a few have. Never really did fill out my "Shop Notes" posting though; it suffers from a distinct lack of organization and there are a lot of things left out. I've started "updating" it a few times, but now I'm wondering if I ought to just start over again from scratch.
We'll see.

I have also done similar projects for the SKS Fire Control Group (Trigger) and the VZ-52 7.62 X 45mm Rifle.

It's kinda fun, actually!

So unless some genius comes up with a reliable, comprehensive shop manual on the CZ-82, I might just do the same trick on that and see what happens, now that I've got one on order.

Paid SOG by check so i expect it to be held pending check clearance for a couple of weeks anyway.

That's OK; got plenty of things to diddle with in the meantime!

But shortly after the LBT delivers it and I get it unwrapped, we're going down to the shop together and get intimate!! {8^{D~

("Don't worry about that little box, Martha; It's just a powder activated sex toy...")

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have heard recently from someone who is quite good with tinkering with, and figuring out how to do a complete take down on pistols. It sat for 6 months before he finally got it together again. His wisdom on the matter is DON'T TAKE IT DOWN !!! Just field strip it, clean it and enjoy shooting it. It is not a Makarov. He added, if you don't like the person, by all means advise him to tear it down. :D I was wanting to do the same thing too, but unless Uncle Jaque has some really good "notes", I might just take his advise and shoot my very accurate CZ82, and not add any more gray hair prematurely to my red head unnecessarily. :p

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Rumor Has it...

Yes, I have read the rumors about how the CZ-82 is a real bear to work on, and once taken apart they can be very reluctant to come back together again.

Even if and when they can be re-assembled with no left over parts, they allegedly have a really bad habit of never working properly - if at all - afterwards.

That's one reason why I was sort of casting about for one of those "ruined" pistols that I could buy reasonably to use as a cadaver to conduct exploratory autopsies on before opening up a perfectly good one.

Don't just trash 'em, fellas; sell (or donate; I'll even pay the shipping!) to me in the interest of SCIENCE! {8^{D~

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't do it.... Of course someone will do it just because I said don't do it. But seriously, don't do it. Regret is an inevitable consequence....
-Troy

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hey, TTH has finally made it to the other side! Welcome! :D I'm sure he got it back together. :eek: How does it shoot now???

·
Registered
18 Posts
I worked on the trigger group for hours.... I eventually drove 40 min to CZUSA and had Matt put it together for me. Here is a for instance... I can do a walther ppk, p-64, makarov or Colt 1911 easily.... The CZ kicked my butt not worth my time to reassemble. Taking it apart and blasting, parkerizing and duracoating it is no problem. I would just not recommend doing it since putting it back together is horrible. In the back of my mind I knew I lived close to CZUSA so if necessary I could drive it down there. They are a great group of guys. I met 3 of them. Anyway. The double action is not the same after the whole affair. I believe it will work itself back to normal but overall the milsurp CZ-82 looks like a new firearm after refinishing it.

Hey, TTH has finally made it to the other side! Welcome! :D I'm sure he got it back together. :eek: How does it shoot now???

·
Registered
480 Posts
Well, TTH's experience coming on top of timbo's input makes me think that I won't be getting any more CZ-82s, no matter how great a bargain they are. I don't completely disassemble my Brownings or my Makarovs very often, but I know that I CAN if I want to - and when I put them back together they work the same as they did before. I've only disassembled one of my S&W revolvers in the past 40 years, but I know that I CAN if I want to - and when I put it back together it worked the same as it did before.

Not sure I want to own a gun that I basically CAN'T disassemble, and that if I do I may not be able to get it back together at all, and if I do get it back together it won't be the same as it was before disassembly. Too bad. I was about to order another CZ-82 this week.

Anybody know if this is true of the larger CZ autos? I recently had the chance to shoot several of their 9mms, and especially liked the P-01. They're a good enough bargain that I put one on the "some day" list, but if it's a gun that won't come completely apart either I'll take it off the list.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It would be great if TTH could use his friendship and influence with the experts at CZUSA to write up a detailed complete step-by-step CZ-82 disassembly/reassembly manual to post up on the internet for all of us '82 owners?

I would think that it might benefit CZUSA by reducing a lot of time-consuming calls for help to get walked thru reassembling their individual guns!;)

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
From what I have heard all the other CZ's are excellent and can be taken apart. I actually believe the only reason my double action doesn't work the same (yet) is due to the duracoat thickness in the very tight tolerances near trigger pin area (not a problem on other guns I have refinished). Probably just one or two coats would have made it different rather than 3. I do think the gun is a very reliable gun... however, just a difficult one to reassemble. I am thinking about buying another one but not refinishing it. I am also wanting to buy the new P-01 after the guys there showed me one in person an OD Green lower and black upper. I am impressed with my CZ 22cal varmit rifle. That rifle is accurate.

As to the reassembly manual maybe someone else can take care of that one... I already made one for the P-64 which is linked on that website. Here is the link here http://216.193.236.162/P64_Assembly_Manual.zip

If I had more time I would do another manual for the CZ-82/83 but I am too busy.

-Troy

·
Registered
480 Posts
TTH, even though I'm discouraged about the -82 I'm curious about your project. Before learning of the difficulty of reassembly, I was giving thought to making this my first refinish project - it sure could use it.

My well used milsurp appears to have blued trigger guard, trigger, mag release, slide stop, safety and hammer, with only the frame and slide being "painted." It appears from your photos that you duracoated ALL of those parts (except I don't see the mag release in the "silver" batch, and do see the mainspring plug.) I'm just curious as to why you decided to duracoat more than the frame and slide? (Please take this as a newbie question - I've never changed the finish on any gun, so have no idea of the considerations that go into the decision making process.)

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
TTH - hello to this forum also.

What a box of parts you photographed!

·
Registered
17 Posts
TTH, I was going to take one of mine apart this winter. Having another as a reference seemed like it should help....But after that story I think I will leave it alone.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't media blast the mag release cause it was actually perfect looking already the rest was kinda rough. Now the gun looks factory new. I'll snap a photo of it for you and post it here soon. I duracoated the rest of the gun like the trigger and trigger guard and mag bottoms cause I wanted the gun to match relative to the finish.
-Troy

TTH, even though I'm discouraged about the -82 I'm curious about your project. Before learning of the difficulty of reassembly, I was giving thought to making this my first refinish project - it sure could use it.

My well used milsurp appears to have blued trigger guard, trigger, mag release, slide stop, safety and hammer, with only the frame and slide being "painted." It appears from your photos that you duracoated ALL of those parts (except I don't see the mag release in the "silver" batch, and do see the mainspring plug.) I'm just curious as to why you decided to duracoat more than the frame and slide? (Please take this as a newbie question - I've never changed the finish on any gun, so have no idea of the considerations that go into the decision making process.)

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
On Second Thought...

After all the horror stories I've read here, I'm now a little reluctant to go tearing my CZ-82 (which just arrived Friday afternoon) apart, especially since it has no cosmoline in it and seems to work just ducky as is.

Not unless and until I have a pretty darned good reason to, anyway.

Now if anyone wanted to sell me a "cadaver" pistol or collection of parts that they've given up on trying to put back together, I might give that a whirl. From what I've seen of the pistol's innards so far, I think that they are certainly challenging, but not, at least as far as I can determine, insurmountable.

But knowing that most of you guys know as much if not more about general gun - tweaking than I do, if you've been stumped by this beast, I might be well advised to take due pause for serious contemplation before ripping apart a perfectly good CZ-82 just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thanks Jaque, mine too shoots sweet, and I hope it never needs much repair. A nice carry weapon as well as a fun one to show off with at the range. :)

After all the horror stories I've read here, I'm now a little reluctant to go tearing my CZ-82 (which just arrived Friday afternoon) apart, especially since it has no cosmoline in it and seems to work just ducky as is.

Not unless and until I have a pretty darned good reason to, anyway.

Now if anyone wanted to sell me a "cadaver" pistol or collection of parts that they've given up on trying to put back together, I might give that a whirl. From what I've seen of the pistol's innards so far, I think that they are certainly challenging, but not, at least as far as I can determine, insurmountable.

But knowing that most of you guys know as much if not more about general gun - tweaking than I do, if you've been stumped by this beast, I might be well advised to take due pause for serious contemplation before ripping apart a perfectly good CZ-82 just out of curiosity.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts