Gunboards Forums banner

Cz.82 Ammo question for a buddy

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  steve98664 
#1 ·
I've got a buddy with a Bulgarian makarov and another friend with a Cz.82 that want to know if Silver Bear HP will function. Primarily, the Czech is the worry. Apparently the Wolf stuff gives the Cz a bit of a problem, but the SB fmj stuff goes without a hitch. Now, they're wanting to know if there is any kind of problems that other shooters have encountered with the HP flavor of Silver Bear.

Any feedback about the HP Silver Bear would be VERY appreciated. This is for a former board surfer, my357mag, who used to post quite a lot. He's just been flipped around in the shuffle.

#3 ·
Silver Bear HP has run 100% in my bride's CZ 82. Great practice ammo. Fairly clean , good accuracy--head and shoulders above Wolf in every way.
Poor , really no , core expansion in water testing. Jacket peels back and sheds some petals. I would stick with Gold Dots ( 100% functioning , great expansion, ok penetration) for protection , but mileage varies.
Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Thanks a ton for the feedback, gentlemen. I know that Thomas will appreciate seeing what y'all have said. That said, when we talked, he mentioned that he thinks that the Cz.82 has a bit tighter construction than his own Bulgarian Makarov, which may explain the problems with the Wolf in the Czech. I guess that we shall see.

Thanks again, gents.

#8 ·
Methinks these guns were made for solid jackets, but will function just fine (mine do) if the feed ramp is smooth. I have an 82 that gets cranky and I can feel where it needs a little polish.
Plus...break in counts too.

#9 ·
I used to have problem with HP type of ammo in one of mine. Found out that sometimes the cheaper stuff leaves some deposits in the chamber (duh, a slap the forehead moment) and had to clean it with good bore brush.

Another had similiar problems, and a quick polish with the dremel to the feed ramp cured the problem 100 percent.

Ed

#10 ·
My CZ-82 stumbles occasionally (maybe 1 round out of a 50 round box) on the Wolf cone-head 100g FMJ. It has run 100% with ANY round nose bullet, jacketed or lead, with the Sierra flat nose jacketed bullets, and with Hornady XTP jacketed HP bullets (which I reload to duplicate the Hornady factory loads - much cheaper to practice with.)

The Wolf cone-head failures are always an almost-chambered stoppage, with the round stuck half-way in and pointed at the top of the chamber. Just the tiniest bit of back pressure on the slide releases the lockup and chambering proceeds normally. I suspect it is a function of the peculiar shape of that specific bullet coupled with some tiny variations in overall cartridge length that cause the occasional stoppage. But since I'm about out of the 100g Wolf, and Midway is out of stock with no backorder, and Midway just delivered 1K of the 95g (round nose) Wolf Military Classic, I'm simply going to shoot up the rest of the 100g in my Makarovs, which like it just fine.

#11 ·
Reload for 9X18mm ?

Do any of you reload with cast lead bullets?

What bullet mould do you find works well for the CZ-82?
for the price, I like the LEE aluminum blocks - do they have a 9mm MAK bullet mould? I know that the X18 dia. is a little larger than the 9X19 bullet.

Can you use regular 9mm para loading dies, or do we have to get special MAK dies for this round?

I'm thinking that about 4.5 gr. of Unique behind a 95 to 100 gr. cast slug might work well - of course I'll check the manuals for starting load data just to make sure before rolling any rounds.

If my older manuals don't list the X18, could we use .380 data interchangeably? I would sort of think so.

#12 ·
I do not cast my own, but do load lead round nose in 9x18. They are my plinking rounds, and I load 'em pretty soft. I have been loading 93g round nose Meister bullets for several years, and just got a batch of 95g Bear Creek moly coated round nose to try (have loaded but not shot any yet.)

Lee offers Makarov bullet molds in a 95 grain round nose, their shape number 90466. Looking at their catalog it seems that you can get it in a single, double or 6-cavity mold.

You will want to use 9x18 dies. Lee's are cheap enough and do the job well.

I don't have experience with Unique. I've loaded 93-95g lead using Accurate #2 and #5, and Alliant Power Pistol. All of those work well.

#15 ·
Actually...

When I was a youth growing up in the White Mountains of NH between 1955 and '67 (where did you hail from?) that's pretty much what we did.

My Dad usually spent a whole Winter carving and fitting a rifle stock - and he really made some beauts.

Started reloading for .45-70 and a little S&W tip-top .32 that one of my Ancestors carried as a Mass. Prison guard in the late 19th Century.
I used to lug it around the woods as a teenager tucked into the inside chest pocket of my old WW-II "Ike" jacket.

Still have that old revolver, too.

Knock the old primer out with a small finishing nail and hammer over a hole in a piece of wood or small anvil, seat a new one with a tool made out of a door hinge with a hole drilled through one side;
Top it off with fffg black powder, and cork it with a #0 buck shot.
Jam it down with an arbor press and slather it with a little grease.

Used to pick red squirrels out of the trees with that little pistol and those buckshot reloads.

Ahh, the memories...

#16 ·
Uncle Jaque

I reload the 9 x 18 and cast my own
the LEE mould says its a 95 grn RN bullet but the ones I make out of their mould weighs at 100 grn's
I cut down 9 mm brass to make the 9 x 18 brass
size the lead 100 grn bullets to .363 dia
use 4 grn's of W 231
by the way this is my carry round

they say you shouldn't shoot lead bullets out of a CZ-82

NORM

#17 ·
#18 ·
Here are some comments I left on another thread:

Well, I've shot a few hundred Meister cast lead through my new-to-me CZ-82 over a few range sessions. As you may know, lead bullets are supposed to be a big no-no for that other little gun maker that uses polygonal rifling, Glock. So I was a bit concerned - except that I have about 1K of 9x18 lead plinkers for my Makarovs, and I wasn't about to have to buy plated of jacketed bullets just for the -82 if I could avoid it.

My plinker loads are very mild - about 800fps or a little less. Still, the lead bullets did leave some streaks down the barrel that Wolf jacketed stuff didn't. (I was pretty anal about checking the bore during the shooting session, especially the first time.) What I did, though, is shoot a few dozen of the Wolf (fairly hot) jacketed bullets down the bore at the end of the session. Cleanup only took a couple of passes with a bronze brush and CLP (I use a .40 brush in my 9x18 barrels, after finding that the "regular" 9mm brushes barely contacted the bore surfaces.)

I think the use of lead bullets is probably fine in the polygonal bores. But based on the kaboom experience some Glock shooters have had with lead bullets, I think you just need to keep an eye on the bore and clean any leading out after each shooting session that leaves much visible lead residue behind.

I just ordered some moly coated cast bullets from Bear Creek Supply, to see if they are any cleaner shooting.​

I'm off to the range in a few minutes to see how the moly coated lead bullets perform, both over a chrono and with regard to leading.

If you read the comments on the link provided by jjk308 you will indeed see warnings against use of lead (in Glocks, and by extension in polygonal barrels generally). But you will also see comments similar to mine above, that there are many Glock shooters who use lead exclusively, and if you keep your bore clean you won't have a problem. Glock is famous for having shooters who clean their gun every 10,000 rounds whether it needs it or not - Glocks apparently can handle that with jacketed bullets, but with lead . . .

#20 ·
Silver Bear

I don't have any of the newer 94 grain HPs, only the older 115 and 120 grain stuff. They feed fine in my Mak but I have had several FTFs in the 82. But I also have some Fiocchi HPs and they work in both pistols. I do have plans to start reloading for these pistols. Might as well as I already reload for 40 or so other calibers (but it is to save money I keep telling myself).

#21 ·
94g Silver Bear

I have used silver bear 94g in my CZ82 for some time. No problems on any of my 9x18's. However, I noted some extra casing expansion/swelling on the 115g older silver bear I was using on my CZ82 and on my Bulgarian Mak. Though it was slight, it was noticeable. Silver bear is great ammo! I do wish I could get more 115g or 120g. I wouldn't use it all the time, but I would use if for self defense and occasional practice to confirm it works well. I have never found expansion tests for the 94g, but the 115g tests look good. I have 94g loaded up in my CZ82 right now for home defense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.