Gunboards Forums banner

Cz.82 Ammo question for a buddy

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  steve98664 
My CZ-82 stumbles occasionally (maybe 1 round out of a 50 round box) on the Wolf cone-head 100g FMJ. It has run 100% with ANY round nose bullet, jacketed or lead, with the Sierra flat nose jacketed bullets, and with Hornady XTP jacketed HP bullets (which I reload to duplicate the Hornady factory loads - much cheaper to practice with.)

The Wolf cone-head failures are always an almost-chambered stoppage, with the round stuck half-way in and pointed at the top of the chamber. Just the tiniest bit of back pressure on the slide releases the lockup and chambering proceeds normally. I suspect it is a function of the peculiar shape of that specific bullet coupled with some tiny variations in overall cartridge length that cause the occasional stoppage. But since I'm about out of the 100g Wolf, and Midway is out of stock with no backorder, and Midway just delivered 1K of the 95g (round nose) Wolf Military Classic, I'm simply going to shoot up the rest of the 100g in my Makarovs, which like it just fine.

I do not cast my own, but do load lead round nose in 9x18. They are my plinking rounds, and I load 'em pretty soft. I have been loading 93g round nose Meister bullets for several years, and just got a batch of 95g Bear Creek moly coated round nose to try (have loaded but not shot any yet.)

Lee offers Makarov bullet molds in a 95 grain round nose, their shape number 90466. Looking at their catalog it seems that you can get it in a single, double or 6-cavity mold.

You will want to use 9x18 dies. Lee's are cheap enough and do the job well.

I don't have experience with Unique. I've loaded 93-95g lead using Accurate #2 and #5, and Alliant Power Pistol. All of those work well.

Here are some comments I left on another thread:

Well, I've shot a few hundred Meister cast lead through my new-to-me CZ-82 over a few range sessions. As you may know, lead bullets are supposed to be a big no-no for that other little gun maker that uses polygonal rifling, Glock. So I was a bit concerned - except that I have about 1K of 9x18 lead plinkers for my Makarovs, and I wasn't about to have to buy plated of jacketed bullets just for the -82 if I could avoid it.

My plinker loads are very mild - about 800fps or a little less. Still, the lead bullets did leave some streaks down the barrel that Wolf jacketed stuff didn't. (I was pretty anal about checking the bore during the shooting session, especially the first time.) What I did, though, is shoot a few dozen of the Wolf (fairly hot) jacketed bullets down the bore at the end of the session. Cleanup only took a couple of passes with a bronze brush and CLP (I use a .40 brush in my 9x18 barrels, after finding that the "regular" 9mm brushes barely contacted the bore surfaces.)

I think the use of lead bullets is probably fine in the polygonal bores. But based on the kaboom experience some Glock shooters have had with lead bullets, I think you just need to keep an eye on the bore and clean any leading out after each shooting session that leaves much visible lead residue behind.

I just ordered some moly coated cast bullets from Bear Creek Supply, to see if they are any cleaner shooting.​

I'm off to the range in a few minutes to see how the moly coated lead bullets perform, both over a chrono and with regard to leading.

If you read the comments on the link provided by jjk308 you will indeed see warnings against use of lead (in Glocks, and by extension in polygonal barrels generally). But you will also see comments similar to mine above, that there are many Glock shooters who use lead exclusively, and if you keep your bore clean you won't have a problem. Glock is famous for having shooters who clean their gun every 10,000 rounds whether it needs it or not - Glocks apparently can handle that with jacketed bullets, but with lead . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.