Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my cz-82 for a couple of months now. Have shot a couple of hundred rounds thru it, no problems. Have been meaning to do some serious type accuracy testing, but never got around to it. Anyway, went to the woods yesterday and there in the road is a nice sized timber rattler. Had just cleaned my truck up, so no hoe or shovel in back. What to do? Get my cz-82 out, distance about 10 yards, dead rattler. Guess this answers any questions about accuracy.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
See my post on "Now You've Done It!";

You've finally persuaded me to order one!

Now I've gotta run out and buy another set of reloading dies and components.

Thanks a lot, guys! };^{)~

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Stay Tuned....

It will be interesting to see which one of us takes delivery first, and which supplier - SOG or AIM, gets it out the door first!

Did you order yours on a C&R or through a Class 01 Dealer?

We (C&R) have to use next day air UPS, while they can legally have it delivered for less than half the cost by parcel post.

Had the price with shipping been the same or even close, I would have gone with AIM too, as I have had really good experiences dealing with them in the past.

Has anyone experimented with cast lead bullets in these things?
Any recommendations?

I would think that the polygonal rifling would do quite well with lead.

·
Registered
480 Posts
<snip> Has anyone experimented with cast lead bullets in these things?
Any recommendations?

I would think that the polygonal rifling would do quite well with lead.
Well, I've shot a few hundred Meister cast lead through my new-to-me CZ-82 over a few range sessions. As you may know, lead bullets are supposed to be a big no-no for that other little gun maker that uses polygonal rifling, Glock. So I was a bit concerned - except that I have about 1K of 9x18 lead plinkers for my Makarovs, and I wasn't about to have to buy plated of jacketed bullets just for the -82 if I could avoid it.

My plinker loads are very mild - about 800fps or a little less. Still, the lead bullets did leave some streaks down the barrel that Wolf jacketed stuff didn't. (I was pretty anal about checking the bore during the shooting session, especially the first time.) What I did, though, is shoot a few dozen of the Wolf (fairly hot) jacketed bullets down the bore at the end of the session. Cleanup only took a couple of passes with a bronze brush and CLP (I use a .40 brush in my 9x18 barrels, after finding that the "regular" 9mm brushes barely contacted the bore surfaces.)

I think the use of lead bullets is probably fine in the polygonal bores. But based on the kaboom experience some Glock shooters have had with lead bullets, I think you just need to keep an eye on the bore and clean any leading out after each shooting session that leaves much visible lead residue behind.

I just ordered some moly coated cast bullets from Bear Creek Supply, to see if they are any cleaner shooting.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Well, you now know of the accuracy. Did you eat the rattler? If not, you missed a good meal. Fried like chicken backs.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I just shot my aim surplus CZ82 from the first batch and its very accurate too. I was using russian wolf 9mm mak ammo too. I love the CZ pistols so far i have the CZ85DB in 9mm luger, CZ83 in 380acp, CZ83 in 9mm mak and two CZ82's in 9mm mak. I was hoping the 9mm mak would be less recoil so the women can shoot it but it really barks too. I purchased a ruger MkI 22lr and a 32acp zastava so the women in the family can shoot. I hope to collect more CZ's too.:D

My CZ82 is now my new carry gun too. Being a double action(first shot) and carrying 13rds in a small package is hard to beat at $200.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Results So Far...

The first time I fired my new CZ-82 with Sellier & Beloit 95 gr. jacketed RNs this is what I got:

Then I tried it again from over a rolled up army blanket on a bench at 15 yards (or thereabouts) to see what it would do:

Still shooting low right, but it outgrouped my Systema 27 .45, and that cluster of 3 is within 3/4 inch of each other.
If I can bring those fliers in and do it offhand, that would be pretty impressive, I suppose.

One way to adjust point of aim is to adjust ammunition; In most pistols, the hotter the round, the higher the POI as you've got more recoil going on and raising the angle of the barrel before the bullet clears the muzzle.
At least that's the theory, and it conforms with my experience.

It a right hand twist rifling, the pistol also tends to recoil to the left (mine does).

This would suggest that this pistol may have been sighted in for a hotter 9mm MAK round, as it is rumored the Czech Military uses in these weapons which, printing higher and a little to the left of where lesser velocity rounds might strike, would bring these groups right about on, don't you think?

Does that make sense?

Anyway; when I got home I snugged the slide in the padded jaws of my vise, took a hammer and a bronze drift, and gave the rear sight an ever so precise whackandahalf to the left.

Then I'll hold a little more front sight over the top of the notch.

That little white dot on the front blade comes about half way up, and when I center it in the rear notch, there is quite a bit of blade over the top. I would think that if one were using that dot under low light conditions that it might tend to make the pistol shoot high.

Does anyone have any insight as to the particulars of the standard Czech Military issue 9X18mm MAK loading?
Bullet weight, velocity, that sort of thing?

I really don't want to go hotrodding a direct blowback action much if at all, but if these things were really designed for a round with a little more "Chutzpah" than what MAKs and PA-63s are normally fed, then I might at least try to ballistically duplicate the Czech issue round... provided that I can find out what that might be, of course.

It would be interesting to see what if any difference it would make on POI.

·
Registered
480 Posts
In my experience, the hotter the round the LOWER the point of impact relative to point of aim. While the higher energy round does produce more recoil/barrel rise overall, my conclusion is that the faster bullet must just get out of the barrel sooner, before the gun has a chance to reach the full extent of its barrel rise.

This observation is based on many years of loading for a variety of guns with barrels from 2 to 7.5 inches. My theory is just that, but my experience has been consistent - in the same gun, hotter load equals lower point of impact.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the Chechs are using a heavier bullet to get the more powerful round it could explain the low impact. If you polled a 95gn bullet and substituted a 105gn bullet I would expect a slightly higher POI because the heavier slug will remain in the bore slightly longer. The bullets I have been playing with are lead 110 SWC's,

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
Uncle Jaque:

The standard for military-issue 9x18 ammunition was 6.1 grams (94-grains) and 1,033 fps.

Sellier & Bellot manufactures 2 models of 9x18 rounds - one is brass and one is steel cased. They also make the Winchester 9x18. They all weigh in at about 94-grains and travel about 920 - 940 fps. That seems a bit watered down for public consumption.

The old 9x18 military surplus we used to get from East Germany did weigh in at 93 - 94-grains and traveled 1,033 fps.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Thanx!

Thanks 4 that data, Gents!

I guess that I might be able to soup those loads up just a touch when I get into reloading.

After all the time I spend trying to hunt down my casings which, being about half the size of a .45 are twice as hard to find, I'm beginning to wonder if reloading is going to be all that financially advantageous over just using the "Animal Ammo" (Wolf, Bear, Tiger etc..) and letting the empties lie to rust in peace.

Went out yesterday to see how my "whackandahalf" sight adjustment worked... well, I guess I whacked about a half too much, as it was as far to the left as it had been to the right prior to the adjustment.

After a few to-whacks and fro-whacks with the slide lying on a lead ingot for non-marring support, I got it to where a diagonally strung group of sorts sort of split the difference, and I called it a day.

Now I used to be a passing fair shot with a pistol - although my eyes are no way what they used to be, I didn't think that I'd slipped as much as the "pattern" shown on this 15 yard target might indicate.
Maybe I have... or this pistol is not doing what it has reportedly done for others in here for some reason in terms of accuracy.

One thing I did notice, however, is the wide disparity of how far the empty cases were slung. Not only did this make policing up my brass a lot more challenging, but it gives me pause to wonder if I'm getting consistent pressures with this ammo.

Some of the casings were found under a picnic table a good 15 feet or more from the bench were I was shooting, while another one just rolled out of the ejection port and lay there on top of my trigger finger.
Most of them were found somewhere in between.

S&B seems to have a pretty good reputation, but I've had "issues" with it in 7.62 X 25mm in my CZ-52s in the past, so sometimes I wonder.

The hardware store where I bought the ammo seems to have had it around for a while - I got it for the "old" price of around $11 for a box of 50 rounds, which by today's standards isn't that bad a deal.
He had some CCI Blazer aluminum cased ammo that had reputedly "just come in" going for around $15 a box.
I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

We have a box each of Silver Bear and Wolf coming from Ammo to Go, as that seems to be the best deal on it that I can find on line.
(Also commented / suggested with my order that they consider sponsorship of GB, as I think it was someone in here who turned me on to them).

I'm looking forward to trying that and see if it's any better - or worse - in terms of accuracy than this old S&B.
I should be arriving any day now.

From what I read here, it is more up to the Soviet Mil Specs than S&B, and that could make a difference, I suppose.

·
Registered
480 Posts
One of the benefits of reloading is that you can tame down the muzzle velocity, which in turn cuts down on the ejection distance. I have 21# recoil springs in my Maks which also cuts down on ejection distance a bit, although it does make it somewhat stiff to rack the slide.

When I was working down my plinking loads, I started with the recommended starting loads in the manuals and worked DOWN until I got failures to feed (actually, failure to lock open on the last round usually came first). As I approached the bottom of the power levels for reliable operation, the empties were practically falling on my shoes.

Now there is one disadvantage to having loads that light. Specifically, the charge isn't powerful enough to fully expand the cartridge case against the chamber wall, so there's a fair bit of smoky residue that comes back into the action and out between the slide and frame. You end up with black smudge lines on your trigger finger and (maybe) your thumb. It cleans up easily, but is more mess than with full power loads. I tend to compromise, and load up to a bit under 800 fps (reliability holds down to under 700 fps) which still gives some smoky blowback and somewhat longer ejection distances of 5-10 feet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my CZ-82 for about 2 months now, and I am very impressed with its accuracy. At 10 yards, two hand grip, standing I can keep them all in 2 inches easily. at 25 yards they are usually within 4 inches or less. I am not a very good shot, I shake and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I seem to be able to shoot well with it. Now rapid fire is a different story, at 5 yards I can keep most of them in a letter size sheet of paper. Still not too bad though. I have run probably 400 rounds through it without a hiccup on Barnaul and Blazer ammo, I really like it and plan on buying another for a truck gun very soon.

·
Copper Bullet member
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not done a thing to my sights. They shoot to point of aim. Very impressed with accuracy and dependability.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My resized 9x19 Luger to 9x18 Makarov loads:

Let me explain the elements of the following picture:

I bought a Lee case trimmer for the Makarov cases (>$4) and shortened 9x19 Luger (parabellum) cases to 9x18 Mak size. I also bought a Lee 3 piece Mak die set.

The picture shows normal 9mm Luger empty cases next to my finished Makarov ammo after resizing the cases and loading with 3.3 Gr. of Bullseye under 95 grain Berry's bullets from Graf & Sons and WSP primers.

I used a permanent marker to blacken the case heads to make sure they were not mistaken with 9mm Luger (as marked).

The pistol that I used yesterday was my Bulgarian Makarov to shoot the shown target, but I have also used a similar load (except using 5.3 grains of AA#5) in my CZ-82 last weekend. I think the bullseye performs better (or else the Bulgy Mak is more accurate).

This target was shot from 7 yards (about 21 Ft.) and point of aim equaled point of impact!

The untaped area is 16 shots.

Here's the best part: The cost (ignoring my time to resize and load them, and considering the 9mm cases as free since they are range pickups) = $0.10 per round, or $5 per box of 50!

Ron :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts