Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

A few years ago I picked up a CZ-52 at AIM. If I remember right these where all arsenal refinished. My question is with the SN everything I have seen shows they should have a 5 digit number. Mine is only marked A 58 rid both the frame and slide are marked A 58. So does anyone have an idea whats up?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey everyone,

A few years ago I picked up a CZ-52 at AIM. If I remember right these where all arsenal refinished. My question is with the SN everything I have seen shows they should have a 5 digit number. Mine is only marked A 58 rid both the frame and slide are marked A 58. So does anyone have an idea whats up?

Thanks

I am clueless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll take some more pictures showing the markings. That would be pretty cool if it was a pre-serial number gun! are there any other numbers or markings inside the gun?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Did we ever get an answer on this pistol? I would think that it should have a 1952 manufacture date if it was a pre-production run. Is the serial number just a coincidence? Also, it appears to be reworked but there is no rework date. This mix of characteristics doesn't add up to me.

·
Gold Bullet member
458 Posts
Wish Andy weighed in on this. Jan I believe is correct for the most part, this was a special run ("A 58" on the crown of the slide). The other markings lead me to believe that for whatever reason this "run" was done these pistol were accepted in to service and it has the appropriate armory rebuild mark, to me this is the "rid" Andy and a few books I have described its meaning by age (my own) has faded. Conjecture on my part maybe Jan can say since he might have access in the Czech Republic. Is it possible this run was in 1953 which would explain the crossed swords 53 shown on the pics?

I have a lot of 52's and a lot of reference material, but this example beats the cake.

Ed

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, "rid" is the manufacturer code and it has noting to do with rebuild. The three letter manufacturer code was a hold over from German practice. Each military factory was assigned a code. Generally, though not always, if it was reworked, it would be marked with VOZ or VOP and a date.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a bump, anyone know what's going on with the SN of this gun? Could it actually be one of the first 200 produced? If I can find the original barrel I'll post any markings on it. My cousin accidentally fired a few rounds of 9mm through it! I'm pretty sure I kept it but its since been thrown in a closet or boxed up somewhere.

·
Registered
445 Posts
9MM through 7.62 barrel

My cousin accidentally fired a few rounds of 9mm through it!
Hmmm....sounds kinda like the guy some time ago who rechambered his Jap .25 caliber Arisaka rifle to .30-06 but left the barrel .25 caliber, then complained of the recoil so he sent it to the NRA to check out for him. Mentioned in one of P.O. Ackley's reloading manuals...

Must have been exciting...in both cases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.