Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me ID this pistol? I believe it is a CZ 27 pre-WWII made pistol in .32 ACP.
The top of the slide is marked Ceska Zbrojovka A. S. V Praze and the serial number 1346 which matches the serial number on the frame. There are 4 angled grasping grooves on each side of the slide. On the right side of the frame is CS. Straz Praha. There is a Lion proof mark on the trigger guard. The frame has a lanyard ring attached. Serial number on frame 1346 matches number on top of slide. Can anyone ID what the CS. Straz Praha means? When was this pistol made? I might be able to post photo's at a later time if needed. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
pictures are worth a thousand words. Such as is the slide rounded or flat? The slide legend you describe is what is seen on the CZ24 not the CZ27. Usually there is number with the lion proof you mention which would be the year of acceptance. seeing what it actually looks like could help iD the year or even the make as it could be an early commercial CZ27 and they still used the slide legend of the CZ24 during the early change over. so difficult to narrow down without pics.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Andy,
Thanks for the translation. After looking the pistol over it was made in 1928. Thanks again!
CS Straz Praha means Guard unit of Prague. it should be early production so late 20ies.b.r.Andy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sam,
Thanks for the response. Found the number 28 above the lion proof so it looks like the pistol was made in 1928.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
great. Then its a CZ 24 and they were chambered in .380 not the .32 that the CZ 27 were chambered in so it does make a difference.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Angled grooves are czechoslovak origin on Vz.24 and Vz.27, so correct the normal vertically were added by germans in war, the difference between Vz.24 and Vz.27 is caliber, as 7,65mm and flat slice is on Vz.27,wout locking system by turning the barell by shoot. b.r.Andy

·
Registered
18 Posts
They made apox. 650,000 CZ-27's in .32acp. after the war CZ often grounded off the top of the slides to get rid of the markings. But left German markings on the barrel and frame. Wolff Springs sells spring kits to replace the OEM springs for like 15 bucks. They are all steel and are a nice piece of history that shoot well. I take mine a bring back 1946 now n then to my range :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help guys, still looking for the translation of CS. Straz Praha. Can anyone help me out with that. Based on the information from forum members my pistol is a very early CZ 27 four digit serial number 1346 made in 1928 chambered in 7,65 Browing or in the U.S. .32 ACP.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,326 Posts
Angled grooves are czechoslovak origin on Vz.24 and Vz.27, so correct the normal vertically were added by germans in war, the difference between Vz.24 and Vz.27 is caliber, as 7,65mm and flat slice is on Vz.27,wout locking system by turning the barell by shoot. b.r.Andy
So I guess the German people had to stand up straight, while the Czech and Slovak people followed their own angled course.
;)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The designation is hard to explain in english prior there was a Sbor uniformovane Straze Bezpecnosti. which means a uniformed Guards Security units and on pistols was used only the shortage Guard which means Straz, google translate:Choir uniformed guard security. The members as policemans were called later. In that case a unit of capitol city Prague.b.r.Andy

·
Registered
994 Posts
An early Pre-WWII CZ 27 like the one you described is actually a very rare pistol here in the states. Almost all pre-WWII CZ 27's were police issue pistols of some sort.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like one I have. S/N is just under 10K. Marked 'J Lion 36'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts