Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Just a guess on my part so here goes. You have what looks like a German maybe Swiss martini rifle that has been rebarreled to 22 hornet according to the markings in your pics. Any other markings on the top flat of the barrel?. Was most likely either a stalking rifle or schutzen rifle with the makers name inscribed on the top flat of the original barrel. Hope this somewhat helps you out. Frank

·
Sponsor
953 Posts
I'm not 100%, but the action reminds me of a Zeller. Can you tell if the barrel has been sleeved or has it been replaced? Looks like that whatever work was done was performed in April 1989.....builder could still be around to ask. Should make a great little shooter!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Its a version of Martini-Zeller with an enclosed hammer,some have an exposed spur for thumb cocking.De Haas quotes US pat #186894,to Gottleib Zeller.I read somewhere years ago that the Rifles were still being made in Switzerland.So its possible that a new action was used.The advantage over a standard Martini was better grip,and space for a double set trigger.Nowhere near as strong though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to Trapp55 over on mausercentral and g.b. about this rifle and Mr. Blake was a very good single shot gunsmith (since passed away). He stated this rifle was originaly a 5.6x35r veirling (read .22 wcf) with a bad bore. Mr. Blake rebarreled it to the marked .22 hornet with a 1/2 rd/oct barrel. It shoots very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.