Gunboards Forums banner

would you do this to an already butchered Century arms gun?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a custom ported and polished, Mas 49/56 .308, built up on the AR platform, It has an A2 forward grip and fold down sights,Modified gas tube system,Modified trigger and Trigger Guard, an HK type Hand grip/guard, with an AR-15 colt collapsible stock, EoTech Scope, I spent the better have of a a year building my dream French Mas 49/56 .308 Rifle. hope everyone whom doesn't mind modified rifles likes it, but the crits are welcome as well.....
BTW I didn't touch my original 7.5 it is still 100%

·
Registered
40 Posts
Working on mine right now.

Douglas barrel in .308 ,YHM gas block ,Troy Industries Rail forearm , conversion to FNFAl magazines .Can`t decide on Retractable stock or folding stock from ACE.Machining a replacement lower receiver to accept the adapter from ACE.My rifle , my money ,my desire.I know that this forums charter is OEM or nothing and Original rifles have a place ,but if it was already boogered up what does it hurt to turn it into a functional,USEFUL weapon again.Nothing ventured , nothing gained. Just my .0002 cents worth !;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Douglas barrel in .308 ,YHM gas block ,Troy Industries Rail forearm , conversion to FNFAl magazines .Can`t decide on Retractable stock or folding stock from ACE.Machining a replacement lower receiver to accept the adapter from ACE.My rifle , my money ,my desire.I know that this forums charter is OEM or nothing and Original rifles have a place ,but if it was already boogered up what does it hurt to turn it into a functional,USEFUL weapon again.Nothing ventured , nothing gained. Just my .0002 cents worth !;)
I agree with you completely. The rifle that you converted stopped being original the moment that Century took a saw to it to cut back the barrel and handguards. You just made it look less like the original, and in return got a much more useful rifle. I'm interested in the conversion because one day I will shoot out the barrel on my 7.5 MAS 49/56 and then will have to choose between making it a wall hanger and putting on a new barrel. Does anyone chamber for 7.5 French? If not then I am looking at a caliber change, and might considered going further like you did.

Anyway I am very interested in learning more about how you did the mag conversion, what parts if any had to be custom fabricated, etc. Would you please share some of the details for those of use who have no idea how to begin on such a project? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mas-16 Coversion Details

Well, as you all know, I started out with a hacked up century arms .308 converted rifle, that would fail to feed, fail to eject, and when it did shot, it shot poorly, which puzzled me, after some long internet searches and a lot of reading, I decided to take something that was already messed up, and turn it into a usable, duty ready weapon, with a look reminiscent of the original M-16.
So my search continued, to gun shows, gun part websites, and I started to collect all of the parts to complete the conversion.

I located an original Mas 49/56 Barrel "unissued" at a gun show and had it sent out to have it "professionally" re chambered to .308, all of the factory sights, launcher and gas system were removed, once the barrel was finished I had it and the rest of the rifle (all metal parts) parkerized.
I located a NOS Ruger mini-14 adjustable Gas block, and had it modified (milled out) by a local gunsmith to fit my barrel, I also had him port and polish the chamber, highly polish the slide and bolt, and then reparkerize both of them, test firing at the range produced an unstoppable fine working clock type action on this .308, but the groups I was getting were fair to say the least, so I decided on cutting down the barrel and having it re crowned, and re threaded for the muzzle brake, which of course was also reparkerized as well.
After all of this was completed, I was able to archive 1-1/2 -1-3/4 inch groups @ 100+ yards...which was quite shocking to say the least, since this rifle was never a serious performer until now!
On to the rest of the fun, I never really liked the look of the MAS-49, but I liked the look of the rifle with the wood removed and the receiver itself, so I envisioned a M-16 Type of weapon.
the front A-2 hand guard was the easiest of the modifications, I found a NOS A-2 Colt hand guard and modified the lock down part of it to fit onto my gas tube near the front of my receiver area, once the gas tube was reinstalled the hand guard fit right on to the barrel, with no issues, (note you get real familiar with a dremmel) to get this to fit right.... I had to cut out a portion of the spring and round out the inner and out ring so that the diameter of the gas rod could freely pass through the lock ring for the A-2 front hand guard.

On to the rear colt collapsible stock and the HK-hand grip and trigger guard.

I picked up a NOS HK Hand grip, I cannot recall which model it was for, either the 91 or the 93 , this is the lower with the hammer, selector and lots of springs in it, it is basically a solid steel tray with a hand grip attached to the bottom once I got it all stripped down and milled down, there were a lot of little areas on the inside and out of the steel frame that had to be ground down flat for the installation.

I cut down the wooden stock so it would still fit under the receiver of the Mas with about 3 inches left sticking out past the rear of the receiver, then I plained down both sides so the wood would fit into the steel frame of the HK hand guard, I then cut my original hand guard off of my trigger group, and hand fitted the wood stock into the HK lower , and then reinstalled the original HK pins, once this was all test fitted together, I was left with a steel channel sticking out of the back of the rifle, this area is , what was needed to create the collapsible stock portion of the project, so back to the gun shows I went..... and looked at hundreds of configurations and idea's, I almost decided on ACE LTD stocks, they have all of the parts to put a folder or colapsible stock on any rifle..

But I located a fully forged aluminum AR-15 Blank receiver (unmilled) just a big chunk of aluminum, I cut it off just shy of where the rear of the mag well would have been located, and milled that area down to fit into the steel channel of the hk hand guard, I had a friend drill, ream and tap the rear for the colapsible colt stock. I then hand fitted it, drilled and tapped it to fit the steel channel, then had the whole thing glassed (as in glass bedding) once it was completed it was stripped down and taken over to the off road truck center where I had them spray the permenant bed liner on the parts, I picked it up, took it home, sanded a couple of areas , making it fit back together,topped it off with a scope mount and EOTECH 552 and what you see in the picture is the final completion of my MAS-16! TOTAL COST INCLUDING THE EOTECH AND MY TIME ABOUT $1100 AND 6 MONTHS.... !

·
Registered
40 Posts
The magazine conversion is actually still being worked on.We had to relieve a little on all sides within the magazine well , added a step at the front for the tab at the front of the magazine.The installation of the magazine catch isn`t completed yet, the bolt-hold open is just about where you need to machine for the catch and spring.As for the replacement stock , as you know the trigger group fits within the rear stock , so a block of aluminum has to be machined to mate to the upper .But, there is a French Gunsmith (RDS Tactical) who have an adapter that fits properly for about 230 Euros. Check them out on the web they have done some amazing things with those rifles.Also Kelt on this forum and Surplusrifles forum has a wealth of info that will help you. Russ

·
Gold Bullet member
4,425 Posts
It's not a MAS-49/56 anymore, but it is damned impressive. I will never, ever complain about a mod project if somebody takes the time and effort to do it right, or spends the money to get it done right for them.

The one thing that confuses me a little is why you didn't use a McCann industries lower, which accepts AR furniture, and made your own instead. The one I had fit crappy, admittedly, but it seems a simpler solution than fabricating one from scratch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
McCann Industries lower

The one thing that confuses me a little is why you didn't use a McCann industries lower, which accepts AR furniture, and made your own instead. The one I had fit crappy, admittedly, but it seems a simpler solution than fabricating one from scratch.
As far as I know from contact with McCann those are not available any longer. Russ

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm very glad to see there are still people willing to try something new! Tinkering is a great way to do things that just "can't be done!" Great job and keep up with the posting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's not a MAS-49/56 anymore, but it is damned impressive. I will never, ever complain about a mod project if somebody takes the time and effort to do it right, or spends the money to get it done right for them.

I have a McCann trigger houseing and it fits perfect i just need to figure out how to put a AR free floating handgaurd on . Any ideas would be great lol.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Do you know where a person could get ahold of one of those McCann trigger housings? I'd like to do one like your doing! I find no problem with the 7.5 French round and handload it. (Even though I have a ton of surplus 7.5)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Well, since now my other century conversion gave out over the weekend, when I switched to different ammunition, ripped a case head off, case stuck in chamber, and my other mas 49/56 still having a problem, I think sometimes if it wouldn't be better to do something wild to them, maybe some sort of custom rebarrel job in a completely new caliber.
Century Arms, I can't see how they got these out the door! Did they call them bolt action rifles or u-fixems?

Yes I would do that to my unfortunates, apart from needing to do that regulated gas modification to them, somehow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you know where a person could get ahold of one of those McCann trigger housings? I'd like to do one like your doing! I find no problem with the 7.5 French round and handload it. (Even though I have a ton of surplus 7.5)
I do not know where you could find one .McCann does not make them anymore and i was lucky to get one from him, he only had 3 left when i got mine that was about 3 years ago and it was like pullin teeth to get him to sell me that one so he might still have the other 2. He does do gunsmith work but only if you are a NRA member .

·
Silver Bullet member
124 Posts
My Century-convert jammed up too on its first range trip this year... also had a shaving of the rim stuck in the extractor.

I have a couple of things I'm going to try from the American Gunsmith article... sure hope it helps because I had a LOT of fun shooting mine before it showed its Century colors.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.