Gunboards Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
This pandemic, and the hoard of old and newer gun buyers has created an unpredented shortage for ammo, components and of course firearms. I like my moisins. Folks used to joke about them but after having them for some years they are not junk in any way or form. All I shoot is cast bullets. And when my eyes cooperate 2" groups @100yds. Barrels last a good long while and finding replacements can be a daunting task. I was a lead scrounger from way back. Would clean out the berms on sundays when the pistol range was closed so the high power boys could shoot. I learned real fast that a 5 gallon bucket full of lead is heavy. So more buckets and less lead in each one. So for the present ammo isn't a problem for me. But do have a case and a half of silvertip stashed for a rainy day. At the present time just casting for my moisins. Would like to try cast bullets in my 1895 Winchester in 30-40 Krag. And one of my 30-06's. Frank

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,793 Posts
Went to buy a case of 7.62x39 last month. I thought I was buying before the election panic. I used to get it all day at $220 shipped. I was lucky to get a case at $265 shipped.... now its up to $340!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I don’t know why, but in the depths of January I bought a case of .32 and a case of .380 form SG. If you could buy them today that’d be $100 more. Couple of weeks ago I bought some 9mm Ultra police for a reasonable price of $27/50. Reasonable because it’s a rare caliber that you don’t run into every day. Seller restocked and it’s now $35/50. Some inflation in two weeks.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,556 Posts
Went to buy a case of 7.62x39 last month. I thought I was buying before the election panic. I used to get it all day at $220 shipped. I was lucky to get a case at $265 shipped.... now its up to $340!
See, you were lucky.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Currently sitting on 26 Nagants, nearly all being of Finnish make or captures. Along with 26 spam cans from various countries. The most I paid for a can was $165 and that was within the last 6 months. I know where 2 are locally but for $200 each and I just cannot see buying them. I found a 20 round box of Silvertip for $8.99 and bought it at a pawn shop along with 590 rounds of Egyptian 762x39 blanks and 20 rounds of 762x51 tracers all for $50. I've been on the fence about selling some rifles and spam cans of the 54r stuff but I have such a hard time letting go, even if I need the money and the future is uncertain.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Currently sitting on 26 Nagants, nearly all being of Finnish make or captures. Along with 26 spam cans from various countries. The most I paid for a can was $165 and that was within the last 6 months. I know where 2 are locally but for $200 each and I just cannot see buying them. I found a 20 round box of Silvertip for $8.99 and bought it at a pawn shop along with 590 rounds of Egyptian 762x39 blanks and 20 rounds of 762x51 tracers all for $50. I've been on the fence about selling some rifles and spam cans of the 54r stuff but I have such a hard time letting go, even if I need the money and the future is uncertain.
When you need the money more than the guns and ammo, you'll know. Then the decision will hurt a little less. $200 is my max for 54r spam cans. Of course in this market you're lucky to find them anyway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When you need the money more than the guns and ammo, you'll know. Then the decision will hurt a little less. $200 is my max for 54r spam cans. Of course in this market you're lucky to find them anyway.
Well, here you go. I was in a local shop today. These same cans were priced a week ago at $200 each but this is ludicrous

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well, here you go. I was in a local shop today. These same cans were priced a week ago at $200 each but this is ludicrous
And that's where I'm out. At that price I'll wait for the Wolf, Tula, Silver, Brown bear or Barnaul to come back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Am shooting parabellum and 45 acp I bought 5 to 10 years ago. thats just pistol. no such thing as too much ammo. also reloads from last 2 years, pistol. lets not mention 30-06, 7.5x55 and 7.62z53r and 5.56 Pro Dio et Patria

·
copper Bullet Member
11,481 Posts
No, hoarding is as demand is far exceeding supply, made worse by ammo manufacturers having cut back due to the previous glut.
Hoarders and hoarders for profit have sucked up a bunch. But don't discount the big gang networks who lost their POT income due to legalization. They have the means to black market anything local and state government thinks they are controlling pr banning. Bet hicap mags are now cheap in CA. Ammo not so much. Might add it will be fun to talk to the big ammo guys at the 2021 Shot Show. Hope hosted dinners are better than last year.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Perhaps manufacturers are seeing the same supply chain issues that are affecting all industries.

When you shit down a lot of manufacturing, you created shortages in basic materials.

That said the demand for lead and brass should have fallen in other industries meaning no real lack of supply for ammunition. But powders are another story and I would beat they are the item where the bottleneck is, followed by primers. There is only so fast you can run the machines.

folks I know are shooting less, as every body seems to worry about replacement of stock.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
58,556 Posts
Its those states that should be apologizing. Stupid laws create demand, fuel fear and encourage profiteering. Result is total loss of control and encourage crime.
Capitalism at work.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,793 Posts
I don't think the ammo shortage is any magical government or capitalist plan. Its new gun owners buying ammo, and existing gun owners buying a lot of ammo. Hoarding it, for fear of the upcoming election. We are driving the scarcity. No different then the toilet paper shortage a few months ago.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts