Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a recent thread about Mosin prices lately but this is in regards to the ammunition for those rifles. With the dwindling supply of 54r lately and the standard PPU and S&B being .80-.90 cents per round and milsurp going for .50 cents per round or higher. My question is what would you be willing to pay for ammo now in this market? Is surplus a viable option considering how much prices have risen? And for those of you who have stacked it deep in the good old days, I ask that you answer as if those crates in the basement weren't there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll bite. My cap on surplus 54R is $0.35/rd. I've gotten really lucky lately and found a semilocal source who sells Bulgarian brass surplus for $0.20/rd. I also buy every sub-$150.00 spam can that crosses my path. For other calibers, $0.50/rd is what I'll pay for Boxer surplus 30.06, and $0.40/rd for brass 7.92. I consider myself lucky if I can find 8x56R for less than $1.00/rd.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bite. My cap on surplus 54R is $0.35/rd. I've gotten really lucky lately and found a semilocal source who sells Bulgarian brass surplus for $0.20/rd. I also buy every sub-$150.00 spam can that crosses my path. For other calibers, $0.50/rd is what I'll pay for Boxer surplus 30.06, and $0.40/rd for brass 7.92. I consider myself lucky if I can find 8x56R for less than $1.00/rd.
Damn I haven't seen anything near .20 a round. You could do well just to buy it all and sell it here for .35 cents per round. And everyone would be happy. I would be buying happily even at your max prices. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I believe you will have to wait out the current madness to buy every round available.... or load your own.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe you will have to wait out the current madness to buy every round available.... or load your own.
The current madness is why I asked. I just wonder if the madness will end. I have been watching the spam cans climb in price and finally feel justified for the crates I bought at $300. The Barnaul and PPU and S&B are getting hard to find. I realize that it's the same for so many calibers although I can still find .41 Mag easy enough. I just wish I was one of the guys that bought it cheap. I guess 15 years from now I may be. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
133 Posts
7.62x54r isn't popular cartridge as is .308 or 30-06 for example. Demand will normalize for it. If this is your first time rodeo, then don't worry, shit will settle down - unless Biden wins, then you won't see any ammo for at least a year or so, because people will switch into the panic buying overdrive mode...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7.62x54r isn't popular cartridge as is .308 or 30-06 for example. Demand will normalize for it. If this is your first time rodeo, then don't worry, shit will settle down - unless Biden wins, then you won't see any ammo for at least a year or so, because people will switch into the panic buying overdrive mode...
From what I've seen, the panic buying started around April 1st. It seems each panic buying occasion gets a little worse and the recovery takes a little longer.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,759 Posts
Walmart va. Normal prices, rual king normal too..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ask yourself what is the number of rounds per gun you regard as the minimum "proper" number to always have in stock? An amount that you restock immediately as "inventory" is consumed? It varies by gun and caliber; most AR owners probably want more .223 rounds than NAA mini-revolver owners .22 magnum rounds.

Now ask yourself, what would be worse than expensive ammo?

Yeah.

It may too late though, at least for the time being. And I know nothing - maybe all will be daisies and sunshine ahead.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ask yourself what is the number of rounds per gun you regard as the minimum "proper" number to always have in stock? An amount that you restock immediately as "inventory" is consumed? It varies by gun and caliber; most AR owners probably want more .223 rounds than NAA mini-revolver owners .22 magnum rounds.

Now ask yourself, what would be worse than expensive ammo?

Yeah.

It may too late though, at least for the time being. And I know nothing - maybe all will be daisies and sunshine ahead.
I am fairly confident in my supply I was just wondering where other's feelings fell on pricing. I do wholeheartedly agree with you that the only thing worse than expensive ammo is no ammo. Good insight. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The current madness is why I asked. I just wonder if the madness will end. I have been watching the spam cans climb in price and finally feel justified for the crates I bought at $300. The Barnaul and PPU and S&B are getting hard to find. I realize that it's the same for so many calibers although I can still find .41 Mag easy enough. I just wish I was one of the guys that bought it cheap. I guess 15 years from now I may be. Thank you for the reply.

We've been thru similar times but not as overwhelming.... when the stocks build up they'll drop prices to move them.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You guys are lucky!, here in the UK Chinese 54r milsurp is around $55-60 US for 100 rounds and PPU and S&B factory ammo is around $120 US for a 100.

Pretty much all the Russian surplus has dried up and it is now more attractive to the reload, I only buy factory rounds for the cases now as I can get at least 5 reloading cycles from a PPU case and maybe more, all my cases that are on their 5th firing are all still looking good and perfectly useable as my 54r loads are at the lighter end of the charge weight scale.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are lucky!, here in the UK Chinese 54r milsurp is around $55-60 US for 100 rounds and PPU and S&B factory ammo is around $120 US for a 100.

Pretty much all the Russian surplus has dried up and it is now more attractive to the reload, I only buy factory rounds for the cases now as I can get at least 5 reloading cycles from a PPU case and maybe more, all my cases that are on their 5th firing are all still looking good and perfectly useable as my 54r loads are at the lighter end of the charge weight scale.
I'm afraid that's where we're headed here and will be our "new normal". It's nearly impossible to to find any amount of ammo right now and components are also in short supply. Combine the shortages with the upcoming election and a possible 2nd wave of covid19 and I'm thinking this could last a year or longer.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm afraid that's where we're headed here and will be our "new normal". It's nearly impossible to to find any amount of ammo right now and components are also in short supply. Combine the shortages with the upcoming election and a possible 2nd wave of covid19 and I'm thinking this could last a year or longer.
It sounds like we're lucky in one respect as components are easy enough to get hold of so reloading isn't an Issue.

One thing I have done is work up good loads that perform almost identically ballistics-wise using three different powders (Vihtavuori N140, Alliant Reloader-15 and Ramshot Big Game) plus a very good reduced cast bullet load using Vihtavuori N120 so all my eggs aren't in one basket when it comes to powder availability.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,759 Posts
Gave my reloading stocked up stuff away..to friend..
Made room for more ammo stored Than I could ever use up...
reloader went unused 7# years during wife’s sickness...I got older..not going back to reloading..
I passed it on thank God to a deserving needing ammo older friend.

·
Registered
16,969 Posts
6 months ago, I tried to sell a few spam cans of 762x54R at $120 each...what I had in them and not a bite. Last month they flew out of my hands at $175 each and once gone , I had guys badgering me to sell more at $200 per spam can. I only reduced my inventory a few cans as I was way way over stocked in spam can 54R but as deep as my stash is now, the future of this caliber is hand loading or not shooting much. Commercial made ammo is really expensive and supply off and on at the best of times and in these times.......commercial 54R ammo is near extinct.

I have seen primers go in past week from $60 per 1000 ct to $80 per 1000 ct brick. A month ago the normal price was $30 per brick.

Major outlets for powder are bone dry.

While I agree we have to endure this panic of ammo / reloading supply droughts , the fact remains if you did not stock ahead and prepare for it, then you're in a world of hurt till months after this election. If that election goes sour, then supply / prices of ammo / reloading components will be a show stopper for shooters for a decade or more.

I learned my lesson when the prospects of Hope & Change Regime was moving to reality. I bought deep and did not suffer during the 8 yrs of that anti gun market / droughts of bullets, primers, powder, ammo . I continued to buy and stock deep since then but....there is never enough when you see what the Left agenda is for gun owners.

What can you do: buy when you can, show up to vote and if we retain an Adult in the White House, then when market regains sanity......buy and stock ahead. Politically, we will be in sprints of 4 yrs of shooting till the next election happens.

Cast bullets: Have always cast so when bullets dried up in 08 to 11.... I was shooting all the time while others couldn't. Now granted that was pistol to 50 yds and short range rifle to 300 yds but my Mosins , Enfields, Mausers, Garands, MAS 36 and Type 99's were all being shot all I wanted using the Harris load which worst case was 7 inch groups at 300 yds and at $.11 per shot. Back then, 9mm was costing me 3 cents a shot and 45 acp at 5 cents a shot. Not too shabby and well worth my efforts casting bullets....one 8 hr casting session yielded a 6 month supply of pistol bullets. Good investment for 8 hrs.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
7,816 Posts
The good news is 54r is still produced for the military. So if the world calms down, more will be imported. Sadly it'll never be $100 a tin again. Why? Because the importers/Original owners know you'll pay $150 with a smile on your price. I say the world because with crap still going on in Ukraine and elsewhere, all the ammo that might have been imported has been going to conflicts.

I've never liked reloading, too many required components, if you're out of any one of them then you're not reloading. Rule of thumb on ammo, when it's cheap, stack it deep.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
7,816 Posts
Adult in white house...you soooo funny.
You can have a smiling well mannered politician with one hand on your shoulder and the other in your pocket who looks/sounds presidential but does nothing for the nation.
Or you can have a giant man baby who is rude on twitter and has no filter, but loves the country, knows how to financially get us rolling and is as scary as Richard Nixon when it comes to other nations thinking they can screw with us.

Can't have both, that man does not exist. Trump may be a child, but at least we've regained our image as a strong nation rather than a stupid frail one just ripe for being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
milprileb I never saw your tins for sale because I would have bought them . I think I am overpaying now but I continue to do so because I am worried that this is the "cheap" time to stack it deep. I didn't benefit from being interested in milsurp when the times were cheap. Both you and Alden make valid points with sound (at least to me) reasoning. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts