Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By chance I found myself watching National Geographic channel and saw an episode of "Life Below Zero" (which is on as I type this). One couple was hunting out on the tundra with a nice M39. All stock, no scope. Nice footage of them using it even though all shots missed the mark.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I believe a member of the forum is on that show and his wife is the one with the M39.

·
Copper Bullet Member
827 Posts
Chip & Agnes Hailstone are members here. Chip goes by Caribou & pops up on here quite a bit. Looks like the new season on Life Below Zero starts up later this week. I always look forward to watching the two of them and their family on that show. Agnes has got some very cool rifles.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Well, a nice thread.

It depends on which episode you see, and how well she shoots. In a couple, they put in extra miss's to show its not certain nor a given when you hunt, funny because the one where were in the rocks the show her shooting plenty, but she later turns to the camera and says "I got that one, fist shot" if you listen, but after her being show takeing three or so shots :D Then again, theres one where we were among allrady spooked caribou and they rn by, untouched, and it wasnt till we were on the way to the Cabin that we scored, so that episode was correct. Its not easy to get close to Caribou with a cameraman and a "safety guy" along, but we managed better up among the rocks than out in the wide open. Wolves were a tough catch too, but it gets better every time we do it, everyone in synch, proper dress and "Caribou'd up" in Caribou /Wolf/ect behavior.
So, since it cant be scripted, its 90% correct after editing several days of sucessfull hunting into an episode of 12 minutes.
Besides theres two kinds of shooting here; the first shot at most likely standing and calm caribou, then the rest are movieng Caribou. You can start rested, most likely a head shot, but you must transition to swinging through, as with shotgunning Geese, while leading and pulling the trigger, for chest shots. Litterally, after the first shot, everything moves.
Weve been cranking out some great episodes, the hunting has been good, and you can read my write up in the JPS Hunting forum here at GB's, she used her M-39 and PU to great effect, I wish I could say more, but I cant, youll see it in a few months :D

Thanx for the thumbs up.

·
Registered
25,489 Posts
The first episode of the new season aired this last Thursday on my local Nat Geo. I have it DVR'd; but seeing that my wife and I are at the hospital waiting for her to go into labor at the moment, I have not had a chance to watch it. I'm sure I will catch up on it during late night baby feedings over the next couple of weeks though.

·
Copper Bullet Member
827 Posts
The first episode of the new season aired this last Thursday on my local Nat Geo. I have it DVR'd; but seeing that my wife and I are at the hospital waiting for her to go into labor at the moment, I have not had a chance to watch it. I'm sure I will catch up on it during late night baby feedings over the next couple of weeks though.
I think last Thursdays episode was kind of a recap of Season 2 moments. I believe that Episode 1 of Season 3 airs this Thursday 4/17.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I myself think that Mrs. Hailstone is a fantastic shot, my wife and I were watching the show the other night where she made a spine shot on a caribou at a pretty far distance, then she made another shot on a running wolf at a pretty good distance also. I really enjoy watching her shoot the M-39. Tell her I said that my wife and I think she is great. Semper Fi

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,530 Posts
Caribou,

Congrats on a new season, will be watchin' Thursday. Still think the show should feature you and Agnes and the family, half of the show at least. And if the producers were smart, maybe a five minute segment with you and the wife sittin' by a campfire, tellin' a crazy, dangerous, or funny story of one of your past huntin' and fishin' adventures. "Five minutes by the fire." a part of every episode. Shows need to evolve to remain fresh and interestin'.

Lancebear

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great show, I just watched it this morning for the 1st time, Agnes was shooting muskrats and beavers in the Yukon off a boat. Very cool to see how others choose to live a life very different then most including myself, at times I envy people like the Hailstones.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
The Czek has all but dried up, Agnes has been burning propellents through her Vtk as Russian milsurp, fatcory88 70''80's made, and PPU soft points, but the PPU SP's load is a meat wrecker. Definite exit wounds with that stuff you can put two fists through, the bullets chunk out and dont hold weight . The Czek LPS tumbled on impact, and achieved great wound channeling effects in big Game, but its true virtues are consistency and accuracy, they were a big plus when it came to placing the bullet into the animal correctly, at many FPS..... She also has been burning up the sky blue box's of Russian target ammo via her PU'd 91/30.

Belive me , over the years Ive tried and tinkerd with a vast amount of differing ammo, and settling on whats available, cost effective and above all terminally effective, The Czeck was my favorite.

The misses was reall missing withthe lever action Winchester .22 on that First Muskrat, as the younger son had lost the front sight while useing Geese hunting the day before we took off and repaired it with an unusually fat beaded, low front sight. No wonder it was a disaster, but it really happend and I think the editors love a miss, it sorta shows a struggle or something to that effect, but you will see no misfires or malfunctions :D After the 12 rounds were burned, the next 3 days were spent with the Marlin Youth rifle , a single shot, but dead on.

I have Facebook'd with others from the show, but we have never met any. I think Glenn and Eric knew each other previously.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.