Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a strange marking that hasn't been identified on any of the sites I've checked. Perhaps someone here knows the story behind this:

Maybe Olaf was just going crazy with the stampings that afternoon, but I'm still curious about it. Hopefully it's some SUPERRARE Finnish marking that will quadruple the rifle's value!? Or perhaps not...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think that is the G listed on page 186 of Lapins book.
(G Finland found on M/91 recievers; meaning unknown) Yours is on the barrel shank but it looks like whats in the book.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, John, I don't suppose you could possibly scan that page of the book for me, could you? I'm curious to learn more, but I don't have access to Lapin's book.

Thanks for the answer, though!
Mike

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I will hook up my new scanner and give it a try. My old HP scanner was not compatible with Windows Vista.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Check in KH's book, it's far more comprehensive.
Poot

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Possible Romanian reissue

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This rifle, by all apearances, has never left the U.S. It's a 1918 Remington that has no import markings. It is my best guess that it was purchased by an old man when the Russians defaulted on the contract and kept as a closet queen. The barrel was well used, though. The lands are fairly rounded, and there is a bit of pitting (there when I bought it), and the blue was about 35%. It was missing a handguard, cleaning rod and sling, and it is all UNmatching. Apparently, the bolt-body has the "diamond-P" Polish stamping on the top of the flat of the bolt handle, which means that at LEAST the bolt was arsenaled at Poland at some point or another.

I just wish she could TALK, to tell me where she's been. I imagine it's quite the story...

I'm also quite curious about the "pi" symbol beneath the PTG eagles. Both the bbl shank eagle and the receiver eagle have a П stamped quite clearly below them, and I have NO idea what these mean.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
G = Gosha My personal property mark.

Please return it as soon as possible, as it is missed.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
I wish I could remember, with accuracy, for the life of me what that Pi marking stands for. But I do remember it stands for one of the Czars and is a Russian property mark. JPS or KH might chime in and let us know for certain. I had asked the question a long time ago myself, after seeing the same marking on another type of rifle.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll try to get the additional marks (Polish diamond-P and the П stampings) in a good couple of pics to post up later today. Maybe that'll help with identification.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New pics of the aforementioned "diamond-P" mark on the bolt near the handle, along with 3 other obscure stampings nearby:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts