Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been doing some research to learn about this M1898 Krag I inherited from my great-grandfather & figured I would post it here. My grandfather told me he purchased it in 1929 for $2 and it included 100rds of cupronickel roundnose surplus. It was his only rifle other than a .22lr. This is the only Krag I own, although I'd like to get a Danish or Norwegian variant. My knowledge base is more involved in German & Yugoslavian Mauser's, Soviet, Finnish, & Chinese Mosin Nagant's, and Kalashnikov's rather than Krag-Jorgensen's so I'd be grateful to hear from someone who is knowledgeable about American Krag's.

I know genuine Krag carbine's are quite rare with only 5001 made, and an enormous amount of Krag rifles have been sporterized over the last ~120 years, so most "Krag carbines" are just cut down rifles. However this one has a few interesting features which have made me curious about it. (Sorry the images aren't the best quality.)

The serial # is 130,810. The rear site has two C markings, the front site blade has one C marking. It does not have the saddle ring.

Thank you to everyone for your time.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know genuine Krag carbine's are quite rare with only 5001 made . . .
The 5000 figure is only for the Model 1898 carbine. Many more authentic carbines of other models (1896, 1899) were made.

In my very inexpert opinion, the one in your pictures looks like a genuine '98 carbine, upgraded in service with the a late-style stock (no sling ring provision) and Model 1901 carbine sights. There is too much glare in the photos to evaluate finish originality.

For some expert comments, try posting at U.S. Military Krags - Krag Collectors Association Forum

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 5000 figure is only for the Model 1898 carbine. Many more authentic carbines of other models (1896, 1899) were made.

In my very inexpert opinion, the one in your pictures looks like a genuine '98 carbine, upgraded in service with the a late-style stock (no sling ring provision) and Model 1901 carbine sights. There is too much glare in the photos to evaluate finish originality.

For some expert comments, try posting at U.S. Military Krags - Krag Collectors Association Forum
Hi all, I've been doing some research to learn about this M1898 Krag I inherited from my great-grandfather & figured I would post it here. My grandfather told me he purchased it in 1929 for $2 and it included 100rds of cupronickel roundnose surplus. It was his only rifle other than a .22lr. This is the only Krag I own, although I'd like to get a Danish or Norwegian variant. My knowledge base is more involved in German & Yugoslavian Mauser's, Soviet, Finnish, & Chinese Mosin Nagant's, and Kalashnikov's rather than Krag-Jorgensen's so I'd be grateful to hear from someone who is knowledgeable about American Krag's.

I know genuine Krag carbine's are quite rare with only 5001 made, and an enormous amount of Krag rifles have been sporterized over the last ~120 years, so most "Krag carbines" are just cut down rifles. However this one has a few interesting features which have made me curious about it. (Sorry the images aren't the best quality.)

The serial # is 130,810. The rear site has two C markings, the front site blade has one C marking. It does not have the saddle ring.

Thank you to everyone for your time.
Agree with Parashooter, appears to be"updated" M1898 carbine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the reply & link. When the rain stops I'm going to take higher quality pictures outside in the sunlight so it can be seen in better detail.

I came to a similar conclusion from the research I've done, that it is an M1898 carbine which was updated, probably by Springfield, while it was still in service into an M1899 stock & M1901 carbine rear sight graduated to 23. One source I was looking at is this thread where user "Whig" posted pictures of his updated M1898 carbine described as: "upgraded M1898 carbine with the M1899 carbine stock and M1901 carbine rear sight SN: 120864." 1898 Krag Carbine/

Also I meant to note that the rear sight has a 3rd "c" marking beside the notch, and I put a wooden rod down the barrel & it measures exactly 22" from bolt face to crown.

I know it isn't anything super rare or valuable that I'm trying to get money out of on GunJoker, being it's an heirloom that my grandfather owned as his deer rifle for 77 years. Nevertheless I'm still curious about it since all this time I thought it was just a sporterized Krag. I know 9 times out of 10 when someone asks if their Krag carbine is genuine it's usually not, but the features on this one made me curious. This is the first time I've shown it to anyone.

·
Administrator
9,470 Posts
The one thing that certifies a Krag Carbine ( and its PI Constabulary cousin) is the Front Sight. On originals, it is Integral with the Barrel. On cut down Sporters, Fake PI, and NRA/ Cadet rifles, the front sight is on a ring sleeve.

I have an NRA carbine stocked up like a PI Constabulary. It has a NRA medallion inletted into Buttstock. Shoots well.
Doc AV
Down under.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts