Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was offered some the other day, brass cased factory 13 dated 1966. Guy wanted $100 for 200 rounds, I told him it was too much. It was in brown cardbord boxes with blank labels & sealed in 200 round clear packs. I think someone put it in the packs as they didn't look original. He had about 1500 rounds of it. How rare is this stuff & whats it worth?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thats the stuff, dated 1966. How rare is it? Whats it really worth? It appears to be from SA, I thought it was Cuban.... Did they use this stuff in captured ZANLA & ZIPRA weapons?

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Collectible ammunition? Wow, give me a break, I mean, I have some "collectible" yugoslavian ammo, and some "collectible" chinese ammo, along with some "collectible" wolf steel cased ammo, and all of it will get digested. I guess the point I am trying to make is that ammunition collecting isn't practically done, so there is practically no market for it. I got some 1941 dated m2 ball 30-06 I started shooting up, I was lucky to find out the 440 round can of 20 round boxed ammo was "sure fire", every shot for the first box. The older ammuntion gets, especially eastern bloc(I'd walk away from anything cuban for sure like I would guatemalen if there was any) the more prone it is for misfire or no fire with extreme age.
I suppose if one were ethnic cuban, or especially an ethnic cuban american communist, they'd shell out mucho deniero for some cuban bang bang ammo to "collect", but that would be a south Florida sale thingy for sure.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,467 Posts
I love how all this internet folklore gets started. "Cuban surplus 7.62x39" - yeah right. I shot some of that SA ammo in clear packs years ago, good ammo, but nothing special.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Thats the stuff, dated 1966. How rare is it? Whats it really worth? It appears to be from SA, I thought it was Cuban.... Did they use this stuff in captured ZANLA & ZIPRA weapons?
All the 7.62x39mm ammo I saw over there was chicom, but that doesn't mean there weren't also other brands. Never saw any captured AKs re-issued either, woulda presented a training problem for some recruits.

Captured Portuguese G-3s & commie RPGs were given to certain troops however.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MR. Bullets, Did you serve in the SA Army or with Rhodesian Forces? Thats a pretty interesting time period in military history & is often overlooked or forgotten about in the big picture. Also heard that ZIPRA fighters could be pretty tough as opposed to the ZANLA idiots among others.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I guess the point I am trying to make is that ammunition collecting isn't practically done, so there is practically no market for it.
I disagree, I cant even tell you how many people I run into on these forums that collect ammunition. Different calibers, obsolete calibers, or different manufacturers of one caliber. 7.62x39 is one of the popular ones because everybody and their mother made it which makes it fun to collect.

If what you are saying were true then:

SS190 ammunition for the Five-Seven would be $25 a box, not $25 a round;
7N1 and 7N6 would have been the same price as wolf back in the day before major importations came in. And even now 7N1 is going back up in price;
.30 cal M1 Ball would be cheaper priced than the new stuff made today because its 'old stuff' (please try to find some, M1 ball not M2)

If these wernt for collector purposes and were just purely for shooting then they would not recieve the premium they demand today. Same goes with the cuban-whatever it actually is stuff. That might just round out somebodys collection. If you are all about shooting whatever gets into your hands then to each his own.

Stinkyrat

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I didn't say ammunition collecting isn't done at all, I said it isn't practically done(the word practically is like virtually, meaning "nearly but not completely absolute"), hardly done at all, at least from what I mostly read online and folks locally, and oh, I am sure alot of folks like to stick back a little ammo leftovers of some good stuff, even collect, even make those cartridge collection boards(I want to buy one made up for my wall myself).
And those 1941 30-06 boxes say .30 cal M2, and not M1, maybe that is the previousl loadings for springfield 03's you were thinking. Great stuff, I shot a bunch of the same stuff years ago that had rat chewed boxes and corrosion on cases that the former owner sold off from his storage house that rats damages some of his stores of items, while he was still alive, stuff was still marked on the boxes "M2", with red strip on twenty round boxes, 1941 date.
Now, I have only two boxes each of Japanese 6.5 and 7.7, along with a box of that stuff on machine gun strips, totally collector ammo, not enough to make a dent in a range session, and it don't look good. Guess I am a collector?,..likely it's go to a collector locally someday.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Be advised: south African ammo has the year inverted at 6 o'clock whereas Cuban year is in line with the factory code. So that cuban ammo from 1966 is actually south African from 1999. Cuba wasn't making ammo in 1966.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
MR. Bullets, Did you serve in the SA Army or with Rhodesian Forces? Thats a pretty interesting time period in military history & is often overlooked or forgotten about in the big picture. Also heard that ZIPRA fighters could be pretty tough as opposed to the ZANLA idiots among others.
Worked with BSAP, wasn't educated enough to tell Zipra from Zanla at the time. Primary means of identification was "anybody with an AK is a bad guy". Spent majority of time in eastern highlands (Burma Valley) & some around Centenary. The "K factor" saved quite a few lives in the Security Forces, no doubt. As always however, overwhelming numbers eventually will tell.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Worked with BSAP, wasn't educated enough to tell Zipra from Zanla at the time. Primary means of identification was "anybody with an AK is a bad guy". Spent majority of time in eastern highlands (Burma Valley) & some around Centenary. The "K factor" saved quite a few lives in the Security Forces, no doubt. As always however, overwhelming numbers eventually will tell.
Could you tell me what the differences were between the ZANLA and the ZIPRA?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One was the armed wing of ZAPU & the other was the armed wing of ZANU. Google "Rhodesian Bush War", its very interesting reading. Basically black nationalist militants from surrounding countries were ifiltrating Rhodesia(now Zimbabwe) & trying to overthrow the white leadership.

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,574 Posts
just for your info many guys do collect ammunition and me being one for sure :) the cuban ammo would be copper wash steel case with a 13 for factory code its very hard to find and my example (1 only is a fired case) that came from a scrap steel ship in Italy that had picked up these cases as scrap in Cuba . a collector unloaded the ship and found a few samples. the SAouth Africans also use 13 but with brass cases only

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They had whatever they could get. They pawned off alot of SKS rifles on those guys, AKM was still the current issue for USSR & PRC so they got those sparingly with the Type 56 Chinese being the most common I believe. Also lots of RPD & 1950s/early 1960s Soviet stuff. It all pretty much ended around the early 1980s as far as Rhodesia was concerned, it became Zimbabwe & after the blacks didn't have any more whites to fight together they turned on each other in typical African warlord fashion.

·
Registered
583 Posts
They had whatever they could get. They pawned off alot of SKS rifles on those guys, AKM was still the current issue for USSR & PRC so they got those sparingly with the Type 56 Chinese being the most common I believe. Also lots of RPD & 1950s/early 1960s Soviet stuff. It all pretty much ended around the early 1980s as far as Rhodesia was concerned, it became Zimbabwe & after the blacks didn't have any more whites to fight together they turned on each other in typical African warlord fashion.
Any Czech stuff?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably quite a few SHE 52 rifles & some LMGs. They were sorta dumping their old equipment on these guys so it was a win-win deal for them. Foster a basically Communist uprising while cleaning out the warehouses & the Africans were only too happy to get whatever weaponry they could. Also it wasn't uncommon to see rural white Rhodesian women & later South African Women walking casually with their children or doing work around the house packing an Uzi or some other submaching gun.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Any Czech stuff?
Don't remember seeing any, but then I wasn't everywhere, or paying much attention to east bloc weaponry back then. Did notice a captured Schwarzlose HMG being stored in police station at Wedza, which I thought was pretty weird. Imagine humping that monstrousity through the bush in 110 degree heat. Maybe it was just an old WWI/WWII trophy, dunno. But they had a bunch of chicom grenades, 60 mm mortar, etc. there too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts