3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CSRG 1915,,, it lives!! Author Topic
BigMike
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
986 Posts
Posted - 05/16/2004 : 7:49:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got home from my buddys where the first test shoot of my new CSRG 1915 Chauchat went off without a problem. I fired about 40 rounds I loaded up yesterday with 200gr bullets in front of 46gr Accurate 3100. I had only one failure to feed so I consider the test a success.. It dumped the brass directly out the right side all into a pile maybe 4 feet away so I thought that was good too.

My buddy Bill calls it the Chu chu as he says it sounds like and old steam train locomotive chugging away. I think I really like this thing.

Now i guess I'll have to finish forming up the rest of the brass I have and load it all up. I had some ups and downs getting all the stuff to load for this thing but I think it'll all be down hill from here.

WaPrüf2

USA
935 Posts
Posted - 05/18/2004 : 10:02:40 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Used to know a Marine who used one in WWI, he called it a "Sho Sho" and he liked it.

Edited by - WaPrüf2 on 05/18/2004 11:03:15 AM

BigMike

USA
986 Posts
Posted - 05/18/2004 : 8:10:12 PM

Download Attachment:
95.04 KB

Download Attachment:
22 KB

Vic
Owner-Operator

USA
10175 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2004 : 08:57:20 AM

The gun is sort of big and bulky in my hands. But with your pythons wrapped around it it look kind of puny.
Glad you got it running away Mike.

David Lehmann
Gunboards Member

France
44 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2004 : 09:58:41 AM

Hello,

Very nice to see this old LMG in action again :) Thanks !

Regards,

David

ccmsd
Gunboards Premium Member

144 Posts
Posted - 05/19/2004 : 11:04:18 AM

Hi,

many many thanks for taking care of our Frogland history and keeping our weapons alive.

Sadly in the so-called 'patrie des droits de l'homme' (human rights homeland), being keen on weapons is almost considered as a crime or a bad guy deviance!
Damned technocrats are overuling our constitutionnal rights.

Cheers
:<
ccmsd

Edmond

France
635 Posts
Posted - 05/22/2004 : 08:06:24 AM

why did I come back to Frogland years ago

thank you to let us know about your Chauchat.

BigMike

USA
986 Posts
Posted - 11/11/2004 : 03:03:37 AM

A you guys can see, it's taken me about 5 months and three or four tries to finally work up a load that runs my CSRG.

Bear with me guys, this is the first time I've tried this. The file is 3.7 megs so it takes some time to download, a long, long time if you only have dialup like me. You'll also need Quicktime to watch a MOV file, or so I'm told. It's the only file that my el cheapo camera uses but I'm trying to find some program that can transfer it to a regular ole mpg file plus I'd like to edit out the first 5 seconds or so but aparantly also don't have the software for that either.

Anyway, for you who may be curious to see a Chauchat mag dump it's here:
http://www.fastwires.net/bigmike/csrg-1915/

kelt
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

France
2315 Posts
Posted - 11/11/2004 : 07:19:06 AM

BigMike,

Thanks very much for sharing that video.

It is fitting to watch it on November 11th, anniversary of WWI ceasefire.

What is your opinion on the Chauchat?

kelt

Grabenkater

USA
948 Posts
Posted - 11/11/2004 : 10:44:38 AM

All you need is a horizon blue coat now!

BigMike

USA
986 Posts
Posted - 11/11/2004 : 1:50:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kelt

BigMike,

What is your opinion on the Chauchat?

kelt

What can I say,, I like this thing. The bipod sucks, ergonomics suck, it's a pain to make and reload the 8mm Lebel ammo in comparason to shooting something like 9mm or 54r that's cheap and readily avialable but it's sure a historic, interesting and fun to shoot gun. It certainly won't be easy to find spare parts so it will not be one of my regular shooters but I do now have over 300 rounds rolled up and all the stuff to make/reload some more so I'm sure I'll still take it out once in a while.

Would I take this thing into battle? Hell no, at least it certainly wouldn't be a first choice but like my Reising and Spitfire it is sure fun to shoot and great to have in the collection.

The original rounds I made used 200gr Sierra but those were just too expensive to buy in 50 round boxes so I bought some Remington 185gr core lok in 500 quanity from Midway. I was a little worried that they would be too light to cycle the gun and that they were not seating far enough down in the case mouth but I upped the 3100 powder to 48/49gr for the 185 gr bullet and they seem to feed and run OK. I also found OAL is very important as if too short the rounds will bind in the magazine. I ran through about 150 rounds with one failure to extract and consider this ammo test shoot a success so loaded up all the brass I had to the above specs.

DocAV
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

Australia
3278 Posts
Posted - 11/11/2004 : 4:48:58 PM

Great to see an old warhorse back up and running.
Did you get "le giffle" when shooting Prone??? (Face slap from the butt if not held tightly into the shoulder)

As to your Bullet problem, try using Pulled German/Turkish/other 198grain FMJBT; they match the profile and weight of the original 198grain French "Balle-D" used in WW I. You should be able to get these fairly cheaply, either by breaking down Milsurp ammo, or buying them from some one that does so.

As to the pain of making and reloading 8mm Lebel ammo, that happens only once...then the empties are just like any other case.I personally reload original French 8mm cases (Berdan primers) but the "double jacket" primer system makes proper primer seating a pain to ensure regular ignition (the anvil is much smaller( shorter) than for "Normal" berdan primers with a single thickness primer cup.)
And that's for Rifles only....No CSRG in sight yet.

Good shooting,
Regards,
Doc AV

·
Diamond Member
489 Posts
Northeastern France, June, 22nd, 1918.
Soldier of the 32nd Infantry Division

The 32nd Division was organized under War Dept. orders of 18 July 1917 of National Guard Units from both Wisconsin and Michigan. Units began leaving state camps in Wisconsin and Michigan bound for Camp MacArthur, near Waco, Texas, in early August 1917. The last units arrived at Camp MacArthur by late September 1917.

The Division served on the front line during World War I from 18 May 1918 until the end of the War on 11 November 1918. It was the first American Division to pierce the famed Hindenburg Line, fought in 4 major offensives and earned the name “Les Terribles” from the French.

The 32nd Division was the only American division to be bestowed with a nom-de-guerre by an Allied nation during the war.

The colors of all four Infantry Regiments, three Artillery Regiments and three Machine Gun Battalions were decorated with the French Croix de Guerre With Palm. These were the only National Guard units bestowed with the highest order of the Croix de Guerre during WWI.

The Division served with the Army of Occupation in Germany until 18 April 1919 and began its return to the U.S. on 1 May 1919.

Returning home the Division was demobilized in May 1919 and returned to National Guard status about a year later.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Hey Kelt,
In case you missed my "thank you" on the MG forum, I will post here again, I appriciate the link to the Youtube video of Big Mike and his Chauchat, I had not bee able to download the original video due to my remote location.
Gus

·
Registered
961 Posts
FK

Thank you for posting the website in France dealing with the Chauchat. I have been trying to scrap enough information together to put my Sidarme Chauchat back to working condition. I have been trying to understand how the barrel and shroud work together. Your website has answered my questions.

Thank you very much
Tribrothers

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Hey Tribrothers,
The fit of the barrel and shroud is very important as the working of the action is not recoil alone, it is also gas powered, and the fit of the barrel nut is important to assure that there is not too much gas leak during the recoil of the action. One of the things to do in the event of an incomplete rearward movement of the action is to replace the barrel nut. Where a replacement nut is not easily found, you could probably increase the load if you are reloading your own ammo. The next step would be to have a machine shop make a new barrel nut. One of the reasons that these weapons are difficult to get to function is that they all are fairly worn and few people who have fired the Chauchat in recent times fully understand the importance of the gas piston.
Best wishes
Gus

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hi Gustaf
I have found with most 90 year old machine guns that there is a lot of information about little tricks, the problem is finding them. My Maxim 08/15 is this way. You deal with ammuntion that is loaded differently in modified belts with a gunner that was never trained. Once you get them up and running, I first hand have been cheered by strangers as she chugs along and starts steaming. To me, that is half the fun.

I want to thank you very much for your help on the Chauchat. I have found that the gun community in general is mostly comprised of very genuine, intelligent, and helpful folks with an occasional exception.

Anybody that knows any info, tricks or trouble shooting methods feel free to PM me, or I can start a new thread.

Thanks again,
Tribrothers

·
Registered
574 Posts
Chauchat

Tribrothers!!!!!!

You got me all excited, I thought you'd gotten _your_ chauchat to work, now I open this, and it's another one from 2004!!!

Actually, it was interesting reading. These old things are interesting guns, with a rich history. I'll keep looking out for stuff for you, I'll especially let you know if I see any parts for it, or more accessories. Then you get out there and shoot it! :-D

Glen/Dwmmg08

·
Diamond Member
489 Posts
Prince Carol II of Romania training with Chauchat. Interesting picture found on Wikipedia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts