Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah well, caught up in the recent board flush here are a the replies/answers....

JollyGreenSlug, Yes you are correct it SHOULD be an 08 (I just plain had a brain fart)
The rounds ARE rimmed, it is a vickers belt
It is a Lithgow Vickers hiding under all that "Armour plate" of non KruppStahl

Ed Vom Link to Reight ein - das aluminium extensions to the front trunion to hold the vickers to the sled/front mounting threaded rod ;-)
zwei - das reflection of zei sunn - trick of light.
drie - genuine original M10x1.5 mounting wing nuts, very seldom seen accoutrement for the 08 sled mount, I have a "Few" available for a small kings ransom :)

And the pat on the back goes to Jolly Green Slug, well done, you know more than you let on

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Hatter.

I've always had a thing for the Vickers gun, and I was like a kid in a lolly shop when I visited Lithgow and got to sit behind one.

I also noticed on the Crossing the Line pic that the nosecap (for want of a better term) was the big Vickers-type with the holes, rather than the smaller Maxim one.

For me the Vickers gun is the ultimate .303! I'd love to fire one someday.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
271 Posts
You will!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've always had a thing for the Vickers gun, and I was like a kid in a lolly shop when I visited Lithgow and got to sit behind one.

For me the Vickers gun is the ultimate .303! I'd love to fire one someday.
At the Tank Museum in Bovington Camp, UK, they have a Vickers simulator, that was fun!

It's basically a Vickers mounted in front of a screen with some sort of "light gun" in the end and a mechanism inside to (slightly feebly) simulate recoil.

Closest I'll ever get, I imagine, but all good :D

PS they also have a PIAT, Bren and Lee-Enfield No 4, also sampled each of those...

·
Registered
369 Posts
At the Tank Museum in Bovington Camp, UK, they have a Vickers simulator, that was fun!

It's basically a Vickers mounted in front of a screen with some sort of "light gun" in the end and a mechanism inside to (slightly feebly) simulate recoil.

PS they also have a PIAT, Bren and Lee-Enfield No 4, also sampled each of those...
They have the same thing at the Royal Armouries, Leeds, with the Vickers, No4 and SMLE. No PIAT though.

·
Banned
904 Posts
vickers 'training' lock

Somewhere amongst all my junk I have one of those sectionalised 'training or instructional' locks for the Vickers..

Bought it at a gun show many years ago....dont think the seller really knew what it was...but I did...paid the princely sum of 15 bucks....

For many years I used it as a paper weight on my desk at work....(ha ha government office too.....) and no [email protected]@@#@ard there ever knew what it was either....ya gotta laugh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts