Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planing to get one soon. I currently have a Ruger security six in a six inch.

Here's my situation: I'm in the clergy and wear a robe a good deal of the time. Think of it as something like a button down bathrobe that reaches to the floor. On the one hand, this robe makes a shoulder holster and a big revolver easy to carry. I can get at the gun by leaving a button undone. I've tried it with the Ruger revolver and the gun can be accessed. On the other hand, there is still a good deal of clothing to fight through and a hammer to potentially snag.

This robe does have large pockets (You can stuff two beers in one:rolleyes:) and you can access pants pockets through it. I was wondering about a pocket carry, either a polish p64 or a small, hammerless snub .38sp. Not sure of I'd stow it in the robe pocket. IWB is not out of the question, the one thing I'd want to be sure of is that people don't detect the presence of the gun. Some of the sheep get nervous around guns.

Budget's an issue, and that makes the p64 attractive. A 38sp. helps in keeping it fed since I already shoot that ammo, but I'd probably be looking at a new Taurus 85 at best, maybe even something in the Armscor category. I don't mind a DIY hammer bob or barrel shortening on a revolver with no collector value.

If there is a 4" barrel .357 out there that would work for me, that would be great, but I don't now if there's one that would work well.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
I would be concerned with getting the gun out of the robe without hanging up on something. If you can wear it I would suggest IWB or shoulder holster. I say if you can wear it because my build makes an IWB really uncomfortable, but I'm 5'9" 185lbs w/ 33 inch wast with no butt to speak of. Very stocky build. Very hard to keep pants up, looking at trying suspenders to keep pants up. IWB is just not comfortable to me. I carry LCP in a pocket holster. Prints like a wallet and I can act like I am going for my wallet if need be.

Just mt 2 cents, please let us know what you finally decide upon.

grey

·
Administrator
17,980 Posts
Rev, it seems to me that something smaller, and lacking sharp edges or an external hammer would suit you best as far as getting it out from under your robe without hooking onto the loose material. I would suggest that you consider a used, mid-sized, semi-auto in 9mm. I hesitate to recommend a brand because then you might miss out on something that just happened to be a bargain in your store's showcase if you were focused on finding something specific. There are plenty of bargains out there, and most modern pistols built since the 1980's will do the job. I would expect to pay around $300 for something in decent shape, although, certain premium brands are generally going for more. If at all possible, try before you buy, and pick out whatever is most comfortable to your hand.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
Rev, it seems to me that something smaller, and lacking sharp edges or an external hammer would suit you best as far as getting it out from under your robe without hooking onto the loose material. I would suggest that you consider a used, mid-sized, semi-auto in 9mm. I hesitate to recommend a brand because then you might miss out on something that just happened to be a bargain in your store's showcase if you were focused on finding something specific. There are plenty of bargains out there, and most modern pistols built since the 1980's will do the job. I would expect to pay around $300 for something in decent shape, although, certain premium brands are generally going for more. If at all possible, try before you buy, and pick out whatever is most comfortable to your hand.
You might consider the the Ruger LC-9, I have a Kel-Tec P-11 and a buddy that has a Ruger LC-9. That Ruger is nice and I found it real easy to shoot, but it probably has 1,000 round more through it then my P-11. I have only put about 100 -150 rounds through my brand new out of the box P-11. The second time I took it out it was a much better gun. I can't wait to get 500 - 600 rounds through it and get it broken in.

I love my little Ruger LCP, it shoots real nice, I am just as accurate with it as I am my Helwan at about 10 yards. My little LCP fits very nicely in my back pocket in it's holster. I bought it used and it is really a nice gun.

Just 2 more cents worth, see if you can try some out first. Ever make it out to the AZ Desert let me know, we will go shooting...

grey

·
Silver Bullet Member
127 Posts
I don't know what situation(s) you are anticipating. In one Set of Scenarios it would suffice to carry a gun similar to (or identical to) a S&W model 10 with a 2 or 3 inch barrel in your robe pocket. Mr. Bronson demonstrated long ago that you don't have to draw the gun from your pocket if you're in a hurry. If it transpires that you aren't in a hurry, snagging the hammer is not much likely.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I would say at least part of the answer depends upon your situation. Do you live and work in an urban environment? Crime is moderate to heavy? Or do you live in a relatively small town or even country setting with very small criminal element? If the second a small revolver like the LCR might be your best bet. You could carry it in a pocket holster with spare ammunition in speed strips in another pocket. The same could be fine if you do not get out into the larger urban environment constantly. If you are in a heavier crime area you could conceivably carry two such revolvers very easily if you have access to pants pockets for the second.

Something against the shoulder holster might be your laws. In Michigan it is illegal to carry in churches, schools, and hospitals. If similar laws exist in your locale the shoulder holster might be less comfortable to either take off or wear empty when you spend time in those environments, and most clergy I know spend a considerable amount of their time in those three places. One important thing to remember about CCW is comfort, yeah I have heard the old saying CC should be comforting not comfortable, but I find that many people tend to end up leaving uncomfortable rigs at home more often than they should "I'm just picking up the pizza so why bother putting all that rig on" as opposed to perhaps having the comfortable rig on when they make the choice to go pick up the pizza thus not having to decide to put on a rig. So therefore relatively comfortable carry, or as comfortable as you can get it helps insure that you will carry at all time. This increases the odds that you will at least have a handgun when one is needed, as opposed to a huge blaster sitting on the dresser.

If your area is bad crime you might want to go up in capacity and size, which argues for the shoulder holster or a hip holster carried on the belt you could access. In such a case either a 9MM or 40 SW might be good. Something like the Ruger SR9C or SR40C with the small magazine in place for carry and the large capacity mag for reloads gives you 27 rounds of ammunition for immediate uses in a small compact package. You can find used Rugers easily.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Another option might be crossdraw with a button unbuttoned.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rev, it seems to me that something smaller, and lacking sharp edges or an external hammer would suit you best as far as getting it out from under your robe without hooking onto the loose material.
This is what has me thinking maybe of a hammerless snub revolver. Not so sure about the p64 in this respect as it may have sharp edges.

I agree with trying a shoulder holster if the robe with a button undone would permit it.
It would work fine, so long as I wear the robe. If I want to go in civilian clothes, it becomes a problem then. More on the set up a few lines down.

Do you live and work in an urban environment? Crime is moderate to heavy? Or do you live in a relatively small town or even country setting with very small criminal element?...Something against the shoulder holster might be your laws. In Michigan it is illegal to carry in churches, schools, and hospitals. If similar laws exist in your locale...
We're in a small town, but I get sent out a lot and never really know where it will be. It could be in a rough urban neighborhood. As for those laws, we have them, too. You're right in that it might be a problem if going into a church. A small gun that can be easily locked away in a trunk might be good.

Not too familier with your set-up, but what is you cut one of the pockets so you could reach through to a belt holster?
Yes. Wearing it, I can reach through a slit to a pant's pocket, for instance to get car keys. Typically, I wear black denim jeans underneath it. The robe itself also has those two pockets I mentioned earlier.

As I was typing this, it occurred to me that while wearing that robe I could quite literally carry eight guns at once: Two revolvers in shoulder holsters, two in the pants , two in the large pockets on the robe itself, and two in a couple of small pockets on the breast (they'd have to be really tiny derringer types, though).

Thinking about all of your comments leads me to this: The ultimate gun is probably something that allows me to carry, draw without snagging if I'm wearing the robe, and be easy to take out and lock up if I happen to go a place that doesn't allow weapons.

Snagging is probably the big issue. The 9mm advice is rock solid. Can anyone see the p64 or the 38 snubbie being good or bad for my situation?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
P64 is a nice cheap surplus pistol, same basic capacity and caliber as a 6 shot .38 special, except the .38 can handle heavier bullets and the 64 can have one extra round in the chamber initially. Both can have relatively heavy trigger pulls, but it is possible to lighten up the P64, somewhat, and you can lighten up the revolver by a good gunsmith. The Ruger LCR tends to have a great trigger from the box. An advantage of the .38 is that you can buy a .357 magnum for basically the same and shoot light .38s out of it, but still have that heavier capability and dual ammo use. You can get the polymer protector Taurus in both .38 or .357 is you want Taurus, the 357 has a shrouded hammer. My wife has the .38 version and loves it. And since you currently shoot .38 you now would have two weapons, something I prefer for each caliber I own. Personally I would not feel undergunned with a .38 in most situations, especially if you get two eventually and carry a New York reload.

I thought afterwards that crossdraw might be a good carry option for you, an unbuttoned button lower on the garment might be less noticiable and possibly less likely to make the pistol visible. You could carry a larger revolver or pistol in this method, and it is more comfortable than a shoulder holster. In this method a nice used Ruger 9MM woukd be reasonable priced, I see them often for less than 300 (not much more than a surplus P64), and easily carried. Heck I just saw a used SR9c on Gunbroker for just over 300.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,439 Posts
A lot of good options. As you already shoot a 38 I would suggest you stick to that in a nice snub nose with either an enclosed or shrouded hammer. Getting practice with it is the most important thing and if you already have ammo for it you are more likely to practice with it.

The shoulder or cross draw appendix carry would be easiest and most comfortable.

Rather than leaving a button unbuttoned you might try the old trick of sewing the button to the front of the robe so it looks like it is buttoned. Then use a magnetic snap to keep the robe closed. You can even do that for 2 or 3 buttons. When you need it in a hurry you just shove your hand through and the magnetic snaps open up like Mosses parting the Red Sea. It keeps you looking sharp while allowing fast easy access to your gun when you need it.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
My most common carry method while recovering from hip surgery and my hip holster hurting the site is a .38 special in my pocket, or as in the case today heading to PT, carried in a fanny pack.

·
Administrator
7,414 Posts
Great replies! I'm enjoying the reading. A P-64 would not be my first choice though even though I have one. Even with new springs they aren't much fun at the range.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Congregations seem to want to hug their pastors a lot. Wouldn't do to have them feel a shoulder rig.(or anything else) Something more concealed might be more to your needs. P-64 or something similar in your back blue jean pocket? I do hear they have really stout trigger pulls. JMO

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congregations seem to want to hug their pastors a lot.
It's true! It's true! We score high on the huggability scale. :thumbsup:

. Wouldn't do to have them feel a shoulder rig.(or anything else) Something more concealed might be more to your needs. P-64 or something similar in your back blue jean pocket? I do hear they have really stout trigger pulls. JMO
Since not everybody wants to hug me and some want to strangle me, this is where the p64 might do well in a pocket or wallet holster.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,413 Posts
I'd suggest a J-frame Smith, with a hammer shroud or "hammer-less) - the old Bodyguard for example - in a belt holster in small of back or behind the hip position. Could even go with round-butt K-frame and bobbed hammer or get a shroud. Use one of the post-factory grips like Pachmayr. Either a 38 Spl, .357 or maybe a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal.

When i was in SEA in the long ago and mostly wearing the old jungle fatigue uniform, I generally carried as a BUG (and often when on post, only) a GI 38 Spl, 4" S&W in my right hip pocket in a pocket holster. Didn't print, not hard to get to, worked well. i sometimes do the same with a small frame revolver with a guyabara shirt these days.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,162 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts