21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The writing is in Sütterlin and says the following:

"Es lacht das Herz, heut gab es Geld
Nochmal so schön ist jetzt die Welt"

Freely:
"The heart is laughing, money came in today.
The world now is even more beautiful".

Some 50 years ago we still learned to read Sütterlin (Gothic also) during our lessons in the German language:unsure:.
I find that sometimes a less exact translation will keep the sense of the poem but flow better.
Also, as Welt and Geld rhyme, I would try to keep that couplet in an English translation. Could not easily keep the 4/4 meter though. Perhaps:

How my heart leaps,
today I have money. (4/6)
Now once again,
my world is all sunny. (4/6)

Reads like something from a Bierstein.
Frank (der Schwaebischer) Hall

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Peter Lorre was Austrian, he likes it bloody and gorey!

Translation?:

Your heart is beating, there was money early on - it's just as nice now for you to switch...
So was Schicklgrueber/Hitler. So was Skorzeny. So was Eichmann (born in Solingen, lived in Linz).

Of course, post 1934 Anschluss Austria became "Ostmark" instead of "Oesterreich." It probably should have become part of Germany after WWI according to the 14 points of Wilson, no?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,636 Posts
So was Schicklgrueber/Hitler. So was Skorzeny. So was Eichmann (born in Solingen, lived in Linz).

Of course, post 1934 Anschluss Austria became "Ostmark" instead of "Oesterreich." It probably should have become part of Germany after WWI according to the 14 points of Wilson, no?
Not necessarily. Would have been, under the racist villain Wilson's rules, a matter for the Austrian people to decide.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Not necessarily. Would have been, under the racist villain Wilson's rules, a matter for the Austrian people to decide.
Apparently, a majority of Austrians consulted in, oh, 1918, favored just such a move. There is a sliding scale of how badly Versailles and successive treaties dealt with the defeated Central Powers: The Germans get the most attention what with the war guilt clause, reparations, and the 1922-23 hyper-inflation. St.-Germain-en-Laye created the first Austrian Republic (1919-1934). Hungary got the dictated Treaty of Trianon, civil war, foreign intervention, etc. Bulgaria got Neuilly and 300k ethnic Bulgarians to resettle. Turkey got Sevres, dismemberment, followed by war with Greece, ethnic cleansing, massacre, rapine, and wholesale "population transfer" with Greece, and lots of other unpleasantness, and by 1923 the Treaty of Lausanne.

As you know, in 1934, most Austrians were shouting "Sieg heil!" so loud, they could be heard in Berlin, I'd bet. There were many honorable exceptions, of course.

Now they are a mostly inoffensive small, neutral German-speaking nation sometimes derided as Germany's bumpkin cousins.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts