Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,636 Posts
Cain't. If i can find my copy of Langenscheidt, maybe. Looks like some kind of work outfit, and am not sure he is eine Soldat. Actually, that looks like maybe a Luftwaffe eagle and swastika badge on his cap.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,774 Posts
I believe the cap eagle is the German 'Wehrmacht Heer' insignia. Luftwaffe is on the right.
Outerwear White Jersey Textile Sleeve

If the picture is enlarged he seems to be pouring small pieces of something into his hand and with that smile I hope they are not teeth.

Paint Art paint Gesture Style Painting

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
It is written in Suetterlinschrift or Sutterlin script. Very difficult, because the shape of the letters was quite different. It's use was utterly standard in the 19th century and well into the 20th. The fascist regime was against its use and promoted other scripts, but its use persisted.

If you can blow up the text I can give it a try. I see "... lauft das Herz, fruh gab es Geld nochmal so ... ist jetzt. .." maybe lyrics to a ditty or song or something like that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sütterlin

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
The writing is in Sütterlin and says the following:

"Es lacht das Herz, heut gab es Geld
Nochmal so schön ist jetzt die Welt"

Freely:
"The heart is laughing, money came in today.
The world now is even more beautiful".

Some 50 years ago we still learned to read Sütterlin (Gothic also) during our lessons in the German language:unsure:.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I can get by in German. Russian works better due to their basic approach to foreign languages... "After three Vodkas, we understand each other perfectly!" Much research and numerous training exercises... Damn! It's true!

As for Fraktur, viewing a specimen above... Here in California appearing akin to our common Seismic activity charts! Now cross indexed with climate change, the scientific term: "Shake & Bake"!
:) :) :)

Best!
John

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,636 Posts
I believe the cap eagle is the German 'Wehrmacht Heer' insignia. Luftwaffe is on the right. View attachment 4008592

If the picture is enlarged he seems to be pouring small pieces of something into his hand and with that smile I hope they are not teeth.

View attachment 4008591
May be right. Wings of the eagle look more curvy on my screen than Wehrmacht, though. Artifact of my screen i expect.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
The writing is in Sütterlin and says the following:

"Es lacht das Herz, heut gab es Geld
Nochmal so schön ist jetzt die Welt"

Freely:
"The heart is laughing, money came in today.
The world now is even more beautiful".

Some 50 years ago we still learned to read Sütterlin (Gothic also) during our lessons in the German language:unsure:.
Ausgezeichnet! Danke schoen! 🍺

1 - 20 of 25 Posts