Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Links to metal detecting sites were taken down as they went ape over this, also threads on War Relics forum taken down due to death threats as one of these grave diggers is a mod over there. Getting very ugly and spreading by the hour. This petition by academics and archiologists (sic) has jumped a thousand signatures sine last night. https://www.change.org/petitions/th...-spike-tv-stop-airing-their-digger-programs-3

·
Premium Member
105,718 Posts
I'm embarrassed this Jack-wagon is a former Marine.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I don't want to be unrespectful but it seems that in the US every fallen is considered as a hero. Of course every fallen comrade is important but we have, has far as I encountered veterans of WWI and WWII, often a different approach in Europe. We respect all fallen but have, to my knowledge, not the same approach to what is found on recent and centuries old battlefields. Of course it is important that the identification can be done for the family, it's emotionaly important for them ... comrades know were their buddies fell but it always seemed to me that they remembered more about how a person was as how his "envelope" looked like. Just my 2 cents.

·
Silver Bullet member
37,963 Posts
I'm embarrassed this Jack-wagon is a former Marine.
He shows up often on "Pawn Stars" as the current go-to firearms/weapons expert for the Harrisons. I wonder if any of the History Channel/Pawn Stars forums have erupted yet.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,273 Posts
He's a legend in his own mind. I saw him rolling around the SOS back in Feb. on a scooter, as BoB said , I should have knocked him over . Arrogant little twit that one is.... Bleh...

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I need to check the show out before I comment, anyone know what time it is being aired? The title "NAZI WAR DEAD" is a obvious ploy to get viewers to tune in.

Just remember there are people doing this all over Eastern/Western Europe, just check out youtube.

Yes Human remains should be treated with respect no mater what Army they fought with.

HDH.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,090 Posts
Unfortunately the German government could give two sheet's less about their war dead found in the occupied countries. Which I find to be unfortunate, but it probably has to do with pressure from Holocaust survivors over that whole ordeal.
I'd check with Bigbang on this subject before dismissing the German military as being callous regarding their war dead. From what I've seen, they've done a very admirable job repatriating the remains of the fallen, regardless of national affiliation.
Pat

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I need to check the show out before I comment, anyone know what time it is being aired? The title "NAZI WAR DEAD" is a obvious ploy to get viewers to tune in.

Just remember there are people doing this all over Eastern/Western Europe, just check out youtube.

Yes Human remains should be treated with respect no mater what Army they fought with.

HDH.
found this it shows the date it is to air . it looks like it will only be seen in Europe. http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/03/national-geographic-orders-nazi-war-diggers-factual-series/

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,666 Posts
Unfortunately the German government could give two sheet's less about their war dead found in the occupied countries. Which I find to be unfortunate, but it probably has to do with pressure from Holocaust survivors over that whole ordeal.

I find repulsive Your assumption that Jewish survivors of the holocaust are to blame for how Germany may or may not handle its war dead.

Please spare us your prejudice

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I find repulsive Your assumption that Jewish survivors of the holocaust are to blame for how Germany may or may not handle its war dead.

Agreed, but lets try and avoid politics at least where this is concerned. There are more problems this morning and this is snowballing at great pace. I do not think this is going to air anywhere at this rate.

http://deathsplaining.wordpress.com/2014/03/28/dear-national-geographic-channel-uk/

http://www.anonymousswisscollector....diggers-looting-war-graves-as-reality-tv.html

Comments page and other deleted by Nat Geo

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/03/national-geographic-orders-nazi-war-diggers-factual-series/

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I'd check with Bigbang on this subject before dismissing the German military as being callous regarding their war dead. From what I've seen, they've done a very admirable job repatriating the remains of the fallen, regardless of national affiliation.
Pat
I read an article 6 years ago about some WWII German soldiers remains being discovered in the former Yugoslavian region. It went on to say that they were not going to be repatriated to Germany nor did the gov officials make any issue over it and that they would stay where they were found.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts

It has to do with Germanys war guilt, and even today they walk on eggs regarding it, being reminded of it, and they distance themselves from it.

As to your closing comment regarding me being prejudice, This coming from somebody (you ) who likes to collectively lump, stereotype all German military personnel together has having being involved in the Holocaust. So take a good look in mirror Hersh.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.