Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Great video! Nice to see someone give the effort to at least try for originality of the rifle.
Little food for thought for you. Did any of those rifles ever get originally repaired using the methods he used in the video? I really think you are going to have to say no. So how is that video related in anyway to the originality of that rifle? Have you ever seen a Finnish rifle repaired with a rod and using modern adhesives? Are their original repairs using animal glues, wood screws, and putty most times still holding in their original form? If I try to repair a rifle to shoot it these days I prefer to use original methods to try to and really keep it more original than anything he has turned out for sure. He is a modern craftsman of great talent no doubt using modern methods and equipment that does no doubt work but there is nothing original about his work or methods nor does it contribute to the originality of the rifles he fixes.

Just some food for thought about your statement. Had you thought about it from that view point? Respectfully submitted and hopefully taken the right way! Bill

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Little food for thought for you. Did any of those rifles ever get originally repaired using the methods he used in the video? I really think you are going to have to say no. So how is that video related in anyway to the originality of that rifle? Have you ever seen a Finnish rifle repaired with a rod and using modern adhesives? Are their original repairs using animal glues, wood screws, and putty most times still holding in their original form? If I try to repair a rifle to shoot it these days I prefer to use original methods to try to and really keep it more original than anything he has turned out for sure. He is a modern craftsman of great talent no doubt using modern methods and equipment that does no doubt work but there is nothing original about his work or methods nor does it contribute to the originality of the rifles he fixes.

Just some food for thought about your statement. Had you thought about it from that view point? Respectfully submitted and hopefully taken the right way! Bill

Thing was Bill, that was a GEW 91 stock, which do not grow on trees. As far gone as that stock was, I'm afraid there is no way a military would even salvage that. The repairs that were attempted on it before were not military in nature I don't believe, so originality has went out the window at that point. He also states in the video several times he is fixing this to salvage it, and make the gun suitable to use. When you are dealing with some things as rare as hens teeth, and you want it good enough to still shoot, sometimes it's that or just junk it or find a stock maker, and you and I both know how much fun that is.....

This would be a stock if you and I had we'd junk and find a new one, but like I said Gew 91 stocks aren't easy to find. He states in his vid several times its not "original" fix, but it will make the rifle functional.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
This would be a stock if you and I had we'd junk and find a new one, but like I said Gew 91 stocks aren't easy to find. He states in his vid several times its not "original" fix, but it will make the rifle functional.
I was commenting on Chuter's statement about originality and nothing else in the video. Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,243 Posts
The rifle in question was beyond repair by traditional methods. And anyway, a modern repair is a modern repair and not "original", whether done with modern adhesives or traditional methods. A repair done by traditional methods is essentially a "reproduction" just as surely as a new shellac job on a chipping stock is. And a repair competently done by traditional methods has a large potential to be mistaken for a vintage repair done by an arsenal somewhere down the road by future owners.

A real gray area, and it all comes down to a compromise either way but IMO, if one chooses to repair a vintage rifle to get it back to shooting condition, it's the lesser evil to just go ahead and use modern adhesives to ensure that the repair is sound (and more importantly, safe for the shooter).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well regardless of how one feels about the repair that was conducted I still enjoyed the video. I like that C&Rsenal is creating these new Anvil episodes, I find both them and their weapon history videos entertaining and informative.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A repair is a repair, weather it was done by an arsenal or a current owner. Any collector should be able to detect an arsenal repair or a modern repair. Just don't try to pass a modern repair off as an original repair.

The video was great and his passion was appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.