Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this 1930 Tula (all matching) at a pawn shop for $80 out the door. Didn't pay close enough attention when I was examining it in the store, but it has a crack in the stock. Starting from the base of the tang and going back about an inch, and then reversing course and going forward to a small dent (which may be the source of the crack).

Is this at all reparable, or should I just buy a new stock to put the action in? It's a shame because it's a nice looking stock. I don't know if shooting it would cause a major failure or not.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,610 Posts
I've got a M39 that I got off Gunbroker cheap because of a larger crack in the same place, I repaired it with Gorilla glue with no problem.

Recently got a M27 with serious problems that most would have flung, took about three differant glueings and settings but it is solid now.

Do it slow and be patient. If you can open crack a little wedge a wood toothpick in to keep it open and use a pipe cleaner to work the glue in.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Yes, Gorilla Glue foams and expands.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
Clamping is crucial.

Could be very difficult to open that crack.
All the stocks I have repaired I've used either CA super glue or better yet, Titebond II. It's thin enough to flow into cracks and cures very strong. The best part is, you can use too much and it will flow out to the where it can be wiped if off with a damp cloth. The original finish will be completely unaffected this way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Titebond II is good stuff and will hold where stresses are applied. I have a Mosin stock cracked in the same manner that I glue repaired, and it has held for years and alot of rounds. A business card soaked in glue works well to slip into cracks, then clamp well as stated above.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
All good info here, the common factor, properly applied and clamped under pressure. I've repaired wrist repairs made from guns being wrapped around trees, not tree, trees, I do one to three a year on the average, SDH

·
Registered
47 Posts
The other thing that you can do if you can't get the crack open is to get some weedwacker string and a bit thats the same dia. Drill a few holes into the crack. next trim the string to fit just inside the hole so that none of it is sticking out. Coat the string with epoxy and press it into the hole. Wait for it to cure and dress the hole with filler made from the dust from drilling the holes and a bit of glue. That way it will be harder to see the repair. Finish with your choise of oil or poly or what ever you like.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I have used a 13 loop hangman's noose to clamp a rifle stock more than once. It gets tighter every time you pull on the rope and leaves no dings in the wood. Wipe off the excess glue with a wet rag. Leave it to set for 24-48 hours.

A wooden dowell might help reinforce a cracked stock depending upon where it is. I have a K98k stock with one going side to side just behind the rear trigger guard screw...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts