Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, spotted what is possibly a non refub 54 tula today while traveling. im a mauser / enfield ww1 / ww2 collector, but know very little about collectible sks's. i was originallly more interested in the WW2 waffenampt marked Browning Hi Power i found, till i saw what non refurb sks's sell for these days. ill buy anything to add to the herd if the price is right, and i can grab this gun for 4 bills. everything that i can remember about the gun leads me to believe its a non refurb, but i dont remember 2 things that should be present.

where is the serial number stamped on the buttplate? i dont remember seeing it.

were any top covers not serial numbered on the rear?

in my search for info i cant find the answer to these 2 questions. i will be back in the shop early tomorrow to look the rifle over again, and possibly purchase it.

darn shame, i took a bunch of pix of the hi power, but none of the sks....

anyways heres a pix of my current collection, missing a couple of my latest acquisitions, for grins...

tia

lear

·
Silver Bullet member
36,720 Posts
Mine is stamped on the barrel, receiver, receiver cover, bottom of the mag and trigger guard.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,720 Posts
thx guys, i was 5 minutes to late. new owner has a mighty nice one!
Unfortunately, the milsurp, and especially SKS, market isn't what it was 20 or so years ago. Back then, every gun show had tables stacked high with Russ SKS's in good shape, going for a C note or less. You could paw through the offerings and find yourself a really choice one. Now - pickings are slim, and getting slimmer. You find something good, you better jump on it.

I fear that the golden days of milsurping are behind us. Between anti-gun politicians and dwindling stocks in Europe, milsurping is slowing becoming a thing of the past. Enjoy it while we have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts