Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas. I've been in a nostalgic mood for a while now, and no, it's NOT Covid. :rolleyes: I owned a few Charters back in the Eighties and had no problems. In early June I bought a Bulldog Tiger 44, which was sold as new, but I believe it may have been very slightly used. I cleaned it up, lubed it and took it to the range. The first ten rounds were great, easy SA trigger pull and deadly accurate. But, every cylinder after those first two, the DA trigger would "lock" after the first one or two rounds. I tried three different factory rounds with the same result. After almost 50 very expensive rounds, I stopped. I mailed the gun back to Charter Arms the last week of June. It's August and I'm still waiting.

During lonely July I got interested in their 44 Boomer, more for nostalgia and looks than anything while waiting, and happened to find a Nitride Boomer at a very fair price. Buddies told me, why buy a second gun from a company you've had to return one to? I should have listened. I got what appears to be a brand spanking new Boomer with no wear at all, but I can't load all five rounds in the cylinder, most won't seat enough to close the cylinder. Three chambers specifically, maybe a fourth won't seat any of my four on hand factory rounds. If I raise the star extractor a tad off the cylinder, all five rounds seat flush in the extractor. But, try lowering them in the chambers, the same 3-4 chambers won't load. And yes, I scrubbed all the chambers over and over with no result. So, I mailed that gun in to Charter last week.

That being said, I've had a lot of time to think on my Bulldogs and came up with a question or two. Will any Charter hammer fit a Bulldog? And, if I would decide at some stage to change my DAO Boomer to SA/DA, would just a hammer change accomplish that? I doubt I would change it, but just wondering.................Thank you!!!!!! Dave

·
Silver Bullet member
48,451 Posts
My charter arms would only print groups with jacket bullets 7:00..3 foot from center..Silver tips.
lead wad cutter true point of aim ?
grip screw would keep backing out cutting into hand?
love that guns look weight..
after wife and I missed a robbery By a few minutes..they driving into station we out..
I realized from the bathroom to the counter I was at a distance disadvantage..sold and missed.
Shelton on barrel Stainless..

·
Silver Bullet member
48,451 Posts
Did you Look for burs under extractor on one side?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Morning, DK. The extractor did lay flat, just the rounds didn't seat. I love Charters, always have. I just hope they get mine back to me repaired before Christmas. Five weeks is too long. I was just wondering when they do come back if I'm going to like the DAO with no front sight on the Boomer. Option would be to make it SA/DA and was wondering if just a hammer change would do it, that's all. Have a good day, sir! Dave

·
Silver Bullet member
48,451 Posts
Yes beyond your skill level..“you too have a blessed day amen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts