Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
GRI indicates it was made at the Indian Ishapore factory in 1945.
^This.

British-built No.1 rifles (when they were making No.1's, they had long ago moved on to the No.4 by 1945) would be marked GR, for Georgius Rex (George King). Rifles built in the colonies (in this case, just India) would be marked GRI, for Georgius Rex Imperator (George, King and Emperor).

Of course. long before that time, the Australians evidently didn't get the memo, and were doing their own thing and were marking their production with MA (factory code) and the factory name (Lithgow), sometimes the name was in a shield beneath a seven-pointed star (early production), sometimes the marking was plain (later production).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^This.

British-built No.1 rifles (when they were making No.1's, they had long ago moved on to the No.4 by 1945) would be marked GR, for Georgius Rex (George King). Rifles built in the colonies (in this case, just India) would be marked GRI, for Georgius Rex Imperator (George, King and Emperor).

Of course. long before that time, the Australians evidently didn't get the memo, and were doing their own thing and were marking their production with MA (factory code) and the factory name (Lithgow), sometimes the name was in a shield beneath a seven-pointed star (early production), sometimes the marking was plain (later production).
Thanks for the info. I thought it was indian made but I wasn't sure.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
Look for SA stamped on the butt for post independence use by the Indian Army. Quite a few also turn up with DTE marks on the butt, indicating time at the Indian Armaments Development Establishment.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
How do you come by 'Development" Establishment Steve? There are a couple of different theories out there...has any hard info turned up? I've always favored "Defence Technical Establishment (Weapons)" for the DTE(W) stamp, while Krinko corresponded with a former Indian Army officer who stated that the 'D' is a head inspector's (or some other wheel's) initial.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,496 Posts
How do you come by 'Development" Establishment Steve? There are a couple of different theories out there...has any hard info turned up? I've always favored "Defence Technical Establishment (Weapons)" for the DTE(W) stamp, while Krinko corresponded with a former Indian Army officer who stated that the 'D' is a head inspector's (or some other wheel's) initial.
You are quite correct and I should not have capitalized my version.

DTE(W) is listed on an Indian website as the forerunner of their current test and development organisation, the Armament Research and Development Establishment. I probably transposed the Development bit in my tired brain the other night. :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Excellent info! Do you have a link?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Well that settles that...Bookmarked! Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts