Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am just wondering which other countries allow their citizens the poses of functional full auto guns. As far I know that the USA, the Czech Republic, New Zealand and of course Switzerland allows it.

I have a special interest in this matter because I am always on search for countries and dealers from which I can export full autos to Switzerland.

·
Copper Bullet member
5,393 Posts
Hi,
Belgium too. As a collector (you then need an "agreement") you may possess full auto MG's, but you're not allowed to fire them nor to possess the relative ammo's.
Luc
Its cool that Belgiums can own them but you can not fire them? Were's the fun in that. I own an MP-40 and a Thompson and I love to shoot them. If I could not fire them then I would not want them but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think New Zealand MG owners are in the same boat, as in they can own MG's, and shoot them with blanks, but can't shoot them live. Don't know why that would be a big deal in New Zealand, it seems like there's plenty of room to shoot there, if not at a target, just at the surf??? Can you shoot MG's in Belgium with blanks? Can you shoot MG's in Belgium if you are a gun range member? It seems to me that there were some laws in Belgium about shooting even 98k's, not just MG's, or perhaps owning ammo with a gun.

So you can own MG's in the Czech Republic? That's great! What sort of stuff is common over there? Soviet, I'm sure, WWII German, any older? Schwarzlose?

I think gun owners in Finland and Sweden can own MG's. I know they used to have competitions with BAR's in Sweden, can they still?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Belgium too. As a collector (you then need an "agreement") you may possess full auto MG's, but you're not allowed to fire them nor to possess the relative ammo's.
last I've heard from my friend in Belgium who collects full auto guns, you only allowed to fire your items for 'check or functionality'. Maybe laws have changed over last 2 years, I don't know.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
last I've heard from my friend in Belgium who collects full auto guns, you only allowed to fire your items for 'check or functionality'. Maybe laws have changed over last 2 years, I don't know.
You need indeed a "collector's permit" in Belgium. 150 Euro at the time of the application (not refundable in case of refusal) and again 150 Euro at the time of approval.
In principle this permit is not limited in time. One can only ask for a collectors permit if he already possesses five firearms with each its own individual permit. And because one has to give a theme or period in time (etc.) at the time of the application it's advisable to have already his five first firearms in the category of what one has the intention to ask for.
Every five years there is a control "register vs possession", I think this must cost some money too but am not sure about the amount.
It is wise to ask for a "collector ammo permit" at the same time (you want to test your guns now and then don't you?). Price of this is 75 + 75 Euro, same principle as hereabove.
That's it in a nutshell.
Full auto guns can be purchased by simple permit IF the full auto function is irreversibly disabled AND proofed by the proofhouse of Liège, they will give a certificate of approval. You should keep this certificate and not lose it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Switzerland it is similar. But you can get a permit for shooting full auto for a specific day and place. Normally someone applies for the permit and then we come together. At the moment I have 4-5 possibilities in my region per year to shoot my full auto stuff extensive. For me it is very important that I can shoot my stuff because my guns are made for shooting.
I envy you guys in the US that you can just go out and let the lead fly if you feel lucky. But I am also happy that I can buy a BAR for 1800.- USD instead of 20000.- USD.

I have imported a RPD, a Vz.59, a Thompson M1928A1 and a Vz. 61 Scorpion from the Czech Republic. All in absolute new condition for a unbelievable low price.
You can look here what other they have:
zelenysport.cz
bvs.cz

·
Registered
843 Posts
Full Auto Europe

I remember seeing full auto modern and historical guns on the racks of a gun shop in downtown Vienna back in the early 1990s. Don't know the specifics of the law regarding them, though. Finland is very relaxed regarding full auto. Iceland as well, as I recall. In Sweden I remember seeing a full auto Carl Gustav SMG hanging from the back of an old office chair in a relative's basement. When I asked about it I was told that it was an issue weapon. The man of the house was a member of the Home Guard, which practices guerrilla warfare tactics on the local level. The idea was to ensure that an invading force would meet instant resistance and be forced to pay a high price in blood for occupying Sweden. That's why their national animal is the porcupine -- official or not. The Swedish government also subsidized high power rifle ammo for marksmanship training at that time -- again the early 90s. Not sure what the laws are over there at present. That Carl Gustav was regarded with about as much concern as a weed eater by that family, by the way. Just one more tool of daily life. None of the countries mentioned above has much in the way of crime by our standards, by the way. It's a myth that Western Europe has been disarmed and is safe because of disarmament. And last I knew violent crime in the UK had soared after their gun confiscation orgy, and with a notable increase in use of full auto weapons as well. I haven't kept up very well with these questions over the past five years or so, but perhaps there's something in this you'll find useful as starting points. Cheers!

·
Gold Bullet member
2,614 Posts
In Argentina the law is similar to the Belgian one, if you are considered a collector by RENAR (your ATF) they will allow you to own as many as you like but will not be able to shoot them-

·
Registered
104 Posts
New Zealand you can own them.but not shoot them or store them in operable condition.Also you must hold the relevent Permit."C" catagory indorsement
The Army used to invite collectors to "demonstrate" their FA's at Army ranges.
They Army does no longer issue such invitations.
On the up side,FA's are a fraction of the price of the US.

Have a look here .www.imas.co.nz

·
Registered
884 Posts
MG ownership in Canada

January 1, 1978 was the cut off date. Only those that possessed an MG on that date could retain them (grandfathered). Shooting was allowed up until about 7 or 8 years ago and then the provincial firearms officers stopped that. You can own them but not fire them. On Jan1/78 there were 1278 MG owners in Canada and I understand there is less than 600 now. A person who now owns an MG can sell it to another grandfathered collector with little or no problems. We are a dying breed.

"He who has the most toys when he dies wins.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Boy, with that plan in Canada some one who was 20 years old in 1978 will end up with all of them in another 20 years.

I understand from my German in-laws that the law recently changed (after a school shooting and in some ways was relaxed!!!) and they can now own MGs but they need so many permits that it's all but impossible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts