Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just picked up my second Carcano from Buds. The first one was a 91/24 from Terni with an easy to identify "18" showing it was made in 1918. However, my new 91TS from Buds doesn't seem to have any dates other than the cartouche on the buttstock. It also seems to have been overstamped on the left part of the barrel.

Any help dating this rifle would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a small CN marking on the right side of the barrel but that picture did not load for some reason.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Usually the date on a Brescia is on the opposite side of the serial number. That’s where your “CN” marking is?

Is there a marking over or under the serial number?

7F9745D6-D9A6-489F-96CC-E1E121DAE69D.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually the date on a Brescia is on the opposite side of the serial number. That’s where your “CN” marking is?

Is there a marking over or under the serial number?

View attachment 3763068
The BH1094 looks to be stamped on top of whatever the vaguely diamond shaped stamp is. I think I've got the right side picture to load. It's a small CN, There is also the random 8 on top of the barrel that I'm unsure of.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
2,390 Posts
The mark under the serial number, looks to be the same diamond shaped N VC/B cartouche noted by pascucci91/41 on a 91 TSM he had recently picked up. His was on the opposite side of the chamber. And not that I understand the ins and out of all these but on your chambers RH side beneath the CN appear a small, upside down "947".

Italy did frequently date things and drop the "1" at least into the 50s. I have some 953 dated ammo.

Perhaps they fit an older serviceable barrel or maybe its NOS. They probably had no concern for the original manufacture date just the last time it was at arsenal and where, so it may have been scrubbed off the barrel.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think the small “947” is the FAT 1947 refurb stamp. It’s really small on a few that I’ve gotten also

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I already forgot the source, but; I am glad I saved these tables when last posted.
(maybe the iL91.IT website, I will let others correct that if they would be so kind)

I make it 1918.

BH1094 more easily read from the stock, but also stamped on barrel.

There must be more to the story. That is all I have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already forgot the source, but; I am glad I saved these tables when last posted.
(maybe the iL91.IT website, I will let others correct that if they would be so kind)

I make it 1918.

BH1094 more easily read from the stock, but also stamped on barrel.

There must be more to the story. That is all I have.

View attachment 3763099
That is great! It seems just to be a one off that missed the date stamp in addition to the odd double stamp. I guess it's got some quirks. Thank you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mark under the serial number, looks to be the same diamond shaped N VC/B cartouche noted by pascucci91/41 on a 91 TSM he had recently picked up. His was on the opposite side of the chamber. And not that I understand the ins and out of all these but on your chambers RH side beneath the CN appear a small, upside down "947".

Italy did frequently date things and drop the "1" at least into the 50s. I have some 953 dated ammo.

Perhaps they fit an older serviceable barrel or maybe its NOS. They probably had no concern for the original manufacture date just the last time it was at arsenal and where, so it may have been scrubbed off the barrel.

Thank you!

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,404 Posts
If this is a Castelli rebuild, it dates to the mid-20s. SW

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If this is a Castelli rebuild, it dates to the mid-20s. SW
Me and the OP are new to this, perhaps to clarify:

Would you say originally built in 1918 with old style stock and bayonet lug, or not completed in 18?

Next rebuilt & restocked in the 1920's or built up from left over parts, thus no date?

Finally refurbished in 1947?

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,296 Posts
You can see they over stamped the 1928 over another date that was originally there.
This probably was a re-build at that time where they used the older parts on hand, they did this well into 1930.

Patrick

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,296 Posts
I posted my response in the wrong topic here, it was meant to be in another post, it somehow got posted here as well

Patrick

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks for the response, any info on what the N VC/B cartouche is for? That is what the stamp shows, as well as the small 947 on the other side for the arsenal refurb. I haven't seen it on any of the other Carcanos I've seen, not that I've seen many.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts