Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has S through Wn 16 with engraving that looks like right view of a dragon head
Right side of receiver has engraving that looks like a rampant lion
Right side of barrel has what appears to be a Death head without the bones used by Germany
Bolt has electropenciled sn with R indicating Hungary
Other small parts have K indicating Austria

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
Posting some photos of these markings may help us narrow down their origin.

I've never heard of an M95 with a Totenkopf stamp. M95s used by Germany in WW2 were typically marked with the Nazi eagle, and may have Steyr Waffenampts. See http://www.hungariae.com/Mann95Ge.htm for more info on M95s in German use.

The "rampant lion" is indicative of either Czechoslovakian or Bulgarian M95s. M95s used by the Czechs following WW1 will usually have a Military District number accompanying them, in the style of "S (lion) #". Some, but not all, Bulgarian M95s will have a large rampant lion shield on the receiver, while others may just have smaller Bulgarian lion stamps on various parts of the rifle. See http://www.hungariae.com/Lions.htm for a comparison.

Could the "dragon head" marking be the Austro-Hungarian eagle? This was generally included with the acceptance stamp in the style of "Wn (eagle) (date)".

In your case, the original rifle was manufactured in 1916 for the Austro-Hungarian Empire, used in WW1, then most likely turned over to either Czechoslovakia or Bulgarian at some point following the war. By the 1940s, most countries had sold, traded, or given their M95s to Bulgaria. All of the recent M95 carbine imports have been from Bulgaria, though they originated from other countries.

·
Administrator
12,266 Posts
The link is OK, but there is nothing Germanic in that M.95. This is a Bulgarian rework, a cut-down rifle, called M.95/34.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The link is OK, but there is nothing Germanic in that M.95. This is a Bulgarian rework, a cut-down rifle, called M.95/34.
Thank you,
just thought it might have been,
from hearing about dragoon rifles,
the # 2 on nagants& 2 being above 1123 on side
,the engraving looking like a death head&rampant lion holding arrow
all being Germanic.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,974 Posts
Thank you,
just thought it might have been,
from hearing about dragoon rifles,
the # 2 on nagants& 2 being above 1123 on side
,the engraving looking like a death head&rampant lion holding arrow
all being Germanic.
nothing in those photos is german.

how does a marking on a nagant have anything to do with a m95 or germany? Nagants are russian

·
Administrator
12,266 Posts
nothing in those photos is german.

how does a marking on a nagant have anything to do with a m95 or germany? Nagants are russian
What are you talking about, what Nagant, where?

·
Administrator
12,266 Posts
Well, I couldn't see any Nagants on the photos, that's why I am asking... thought there is a German-marked Nagant somewhere...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are geman marked nagants from capturing just as russian capture k98,the germans used a 2 in triangle on some nagants and russians put a x on k98, both countries placed firearms in a bag with preservative&cosmoline then stored, but nothing nagant in pictures.
Those pictures in link are of a Steyr M95 short rifle.
I seen that emblem in yellow on a German shirt and the rampant lion in middle of eagle looks a bit like engraving on rifle as well as the other engraving that looks like a deathhead without the bones.
I was just asking an opinion as to the two engravings, and that is since last touched in november of 1923 and the peening/pinging, do the engravings appear to you as I have mentioned&since nagants are engraved the I mentioned&what engravings appear to me as, I figured could have been a German M95

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
There are geman marked nagants from capturing just as russian capture k98,the germans used a 2 in triangle on some nagants
Not quite. The "triangle 2" marking doesn't denote a WW2-era "German capture" rifle, as you're trying to imply.

The "triangle 1/2/3" markings were used on some Mosin Nagants given to Communist East Germany by their Soviet overlords during the early part of the Cold War in the late 1940s and early 1950s. This was after the end of WW2.

See http://www.mosinnagant.net/global mosin nagants/ddr-m44-carbine.asp for more info.

I would be very surprised if there were any M95s with 1950s East German arsenal markings. Besides, the "2" on the side of your rifle looks nothing like the "triangle #" markings found on DDR Mosin Nagants:

Compare:

vs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wasn't implying that they look the same, I was just thinking that since 2 was on German nagants could they have used them on the m95.
Is there anyway you can copy and paste the engraving that appears like a skull,the engraving that appears like a rampant lion,and the emblem in yellow that came from shirt; as you did the 2 over 1123L.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
I wasn't implying that they look the same, I was just thinking that since 2 was on German nagants could they have used them on the m95.
I think you're missing the point... The 1950s-1980s Communist East German Deutsche Demokratische Republik is not the same as the 1930s-1940s Nazi German Third Reich. They did not use the same arsenal markings.

Your rifle is not German, either the Nazi or East variety.

As for the pictures, go to your Photobucket album and click on the picture you want to post. There will be a grey box on the right side labeled "Links". Select and Copy the "IMG Code" (which starts with "
") then paste it into your post on this forum. When you submit the post, the picture will appear in your message.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
Thanks
Also read on

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Steyr_Mannlicher_M1895

that in WWII some M95 were issued to German police units.
That is true, and is backed up by photographic evidence from the WW2 period. But as pointed out earlier in the thread, if the M95s used by the Germans during WW2 had any German-specific markings (which is debatable), they would have used the normal Nazi eagles and Waffenampts (eagles with numbers below them) as seen on other Nazi German rifles.

Not Totenkopfs, or lions, or dragon heads, or 2s, or numbers in triangles, or unicorns, or tap-dancing polar bears with umbrellas.

Be content with the fact that your rifle is an interesting piece of history as it is, having served both the WW1-era Austro-Hungarian Empire and the post-WW1 Bulgarian Army. There's no need to invent a fantasy backstory for your rifle by grasping at partial similarities and imaginary connections.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if the M95s used by the Germans during WW2 had any German-specific markings (which is debatable), they would have used the normal Nazi eagles and Waffenampts (eagles with numbers below them) as seen on other Nazi German rifles.
I have a M9M with, imho, an authentic German eagle stamp. There should be a post about it somewhere in the threads here. So there are specific German markings on M95s. But, as you say, it is what you would expect on a WWII German used weapon, no post war numbers, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.