Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a complete midwest industries ar15 upper from Brownells. The upper was on sale on brownells website and I noticed it didn’t have any specs on the barrel. Looking at the midwest industries site the next tier complete upper is a little over $100 more then the complete upper I purchased. The full rifle which has the upper I purchased is $95 cheaper at 1,205 then the next tier complete rifle which is $1300. The standalone midwest industries branded melonite barrel in the upper I purchased is $160, the standalone barrel in the next tier upper is $270. It appears the lower tier upper is cutting the costs on the barrel which is arguably the most important part. I called Midwest industries to ask him what the specs were and the guy I talk to you said he wasn’t allowed to tell me who made the barrel. He told me the specs were 1/8 twist, Chrome lined, melonite treated and he didn’t have what the barrel was made out of on the screen but he could find out. He put me on hold for 30 seconds and came back and said the barrel was 4150 steel. The barrel in the next tier is made by Criterion with similar specs if what the Midwest Industries employee told me is true(what I mean by that is melonite with chrome seems unlikely?). This is my first AR15 build and I’m going in blind and I really don’t wanna buy crap. The first complete upper I tried to purchase was an Aero Percision 223 Wylde upper that Optics Planet had in stock. After I had ordered the upper Optis Planet canceled my order because(I’m assuming they didn’t really give me a clear and concise answer to why they cancel the order, they gave me was a form letter from the risk management department stating “local laws“)I live in California even though it’s not illegal to ship that upper to California even with the flash hider...I checked and Aero Precision ships the exact same upper to California.

If somebody would be so kind as to compare the two uppers in the links in the underlying with your recommendations? The reason why I wanted the aero Percision upper is because the general consensus is online that Aero Percision makes quality products at a reasonable price point. So if anybody has any information or guidance I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,788 Posts
quick look and one is a 16" lightweight, the other a 18" somewhat heavy barrel?

either will serve you well

BTW, I am not a fan of the 'tier'

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thank you for responding I appreciate it. Second, no, with the Aero Percision I was going with the 16 inch option. Yes I think it does have a heavy barrel, with 416R SS which should give better accuracy. Are you talking about the price point tier? Or the caliber tier? Or the I’m too new to understand what do you mean tier? Lol.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,788 Posts
AR fan boi's have a tier of who makes the best (top tier) and who to avoid (bottom tier)

the rankings of various companies go up and down a step or 20 every day ,
based apparently on internet knowledge,

so to some folks a (insert name here ) is the absolute bestset evah!!!, whereas (insert another name here) is basically below beginner level, IE unreliable trash (I exaggerate a bit, kinda)

that is the BS I am not a fan of,

416R SS will give you good accuracy, and guessing both are button rifled, ( I would bet MOA out of both)

it will still wear, but all barrels do, so no worries,

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
You can drive yourself mad in the AR world with this sort of thing. I think that either rifle would serve you well. Typically you only see twist and finish on barrel spec's, you really have to up your budget if you want to get in clear names and things like that. At those price points and manuf you're getting whatever decent quality mass produced barrel they use. It's rife with "opinions" and as our friend said you get in to this "tier" system and if they judge it < Tier 1, it's basically your funeral, as they will say.

I'd buy Aero over the MI. I'd select Anodized over Cerakote, too in the Aero listing you shared.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can drive yourself mad in the AR world with this sort of thing. I think that either rifle would serve you well. Typically you only see twist and finish on barrel spec's, you really have to up your budget if you want to get in clear names and things like that. At those price points and manuf you're getting whatever decent quality mass produced barrel they use. It's rife with "opinions" and as our friend said you get in to this "tier" system and if they judge it < Tier 1, it's basically your funeral, as they will say.

I'd buy Aero over the MI. I'd select Anodized over Cerakote, too in the Aero listing you shared.
The Aero Percision one is the one I want (and I did order it with the anodizing not the cerakote) the trouble is Optics Planet (who apparently has it in stock...maybe?)won’t ship it to me because of the flash hider, I’m assuming. When I added all the components to my cart to actually build it without the flash hider it was over $100 more for the same parts... which kind of made me mad so I don’t think I’ll be purchasing from Optics planet again. As for the Midwest industries I just really don’t like mystery components to anything I’m buying and them not telling me who makes the barrel is dubious. Anyway thanks for your advice I appreciate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AR fan boi's have a tier of who makes the best (top tier) and who to avoid (bottom tier)

the rankings of various companies go up and down a step or 20 every day ,
based apparently on internet knowledge,

so to some folks a (insert name here ) is the absolute bestset evah!!!, whereas (insert another name here) is basically below beginner level, IE unreliable trash (I exaggerate a bit, kinda)

that is the BS I am not a fan of,

416R SS will give you good accuracy, and guessing both are button rifled, ( I would bet MOA out of both)

it will still wear, but all barrels do, so no worries,
Oh I see what you mean I thought you meant you weren’t a fan of the tier gun I was building. I didn’t know you meant you wernt a fan of labeling things as “tier” which is understandable. I was just trying to use a descriptive word for the more expensive option. Honestly, I’ve always wanted an AR15, seems like everybody I know has one. My friend who is a SWAT doc has one, my brother who lives in Oregon has one, my other brother Who is an ex-army ranger has four. My uncle and nephews each have one And when I asked them about their buying advice they all started telling me to buy parts that when added up are in the high $2000 to low $3000 range...I live in Los Angeles I’m not gonna get to shoot it that often, Just a few times a year. But it’ll be a fun thing to take out and have some fun with. Anyway thanks for your two cents.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,788 Posts
being in Cali has it's own set of hoops you have to jump thru, but they are not insurmountable,

just be patient, and do some research ,

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Trust your build in Aero Precision and your outcome will be as good as you can get, barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage ( owned by Aero) and other parts made in house. They also make parts for the Aero Space industry located near Boeing in Washington.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
AERO is a quality manufacturer, and highly recommended.

I have no beef with Midwest Industries for certain items like muzzle brakes, railed fore ends. They are not on my radar for barrels, upper or lower receivers.

The AERO M4E1 lower receiver is state of the art. A dream to build
a lower with the LPK of your choice. I have LaRue and Rock River
triggers in all my AERO lowers and highly satisfied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.