Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
By the time the Costa Rican M1910 was made there were lots of other countries around the word taking advantage of the Mauser Gew 98 action, including Germany and the U.S. But none of them had 5 (count them!) volcanoes on their rifle crest - how cool is that!
I mixed up the 1910 model with another rare Mauser the 1901 with a rare crest posted elsewhere. There are several interesting guns being discussed the same time right now. Yup, by 1910, most of the major powers were on the same page as far as guns and ammo was concerned.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It is in 7mm, I had one of the short rifle conversions and it was quite worn and I ended up selling it. No import marks- pre-68 for sure.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Wow! That has to be near complete removal of the top locking lug!!!

I have a short(er) Costa Rican that I have never been able to figure out what stock it needed. It looks like it would be a pretty close match to yours in length, but it is still 7x57.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,397 Posts
Wow! That has to be near complete removal of the top locking lug!!!

I have a short(er) Costa Rican that I have never been able to figure out what stock it needed. It looks like it would be a pretty close match to yours in length, but it is still 7x57.
Never had any intention to shoot the short one. In fact I don’t shoot the vast majority of my collection. Have enough modern day firearms to satisfy my shooting needs.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,397 Posts
Had a all matching beautiful WW2 German 98k that I went ahead and shot. Broke the firing pin. Sold it but only got half what it was originally worth. Gave the buyer the original firing pin with the sale. Lost money. That’s why I refrain from shooting the scarce ones.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
^^^^^Yep, this^^^^^ I know, I know. Now my guns are sad too but I don’t care. Too many to properly clean up after, or before for that matter due to being in a state of “long term storage greasyness.” Representative low grade examples, reblues and mismatched guns get regular work though.
As mauserdad can testify, the gut punch you get when something goes sideways and a pristine collector grade firearm has a fail for whatever reason and it’s on my watch as temporary custodian, who was blasting away all fat and happy……..well then……..???
Not throwing dirt on anyones way of doing what they want to do with their own stuff, I just really don’t have that good enough luck that others seem to be blessed with much less excess disposable income to spare these days. And parts ain’t cheap or even available in most cases either. My stuff my choice.
BTW, some of those “fine condition “ unicorns seem to have showed up on this thread. Bravo, I say!!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,338 Posts
Had a all matching beautiful WW2 German 98k that I went ahead and shot. Broke the firing pin. Sold it but only got half what it was originally worth. Gave the buyer the original firing pin with the sale. Lost money. That’s why I refrain from shooting the scarce ones.
I think I would have looked for another buyer...

M

·
Silver Bullet member
2,397 Posts
I think I would have looked for another buyer...

M
It was a friend and fellow collector who really wanted it. When I said I lost money , I did get my purchase price and tad more. On the auction block it would have brought a lot more. I am old school and value my friendship with other collectors and a few of them are on this website.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts