Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has some pitting along the wood line and there was not much under the handguard which surprised me. Mauser Banner still visible in the stock. The usual names scratched in the stock. Stock does not match, bolt and trigger guard were renumbered to match. Barrel has the wreath proofs and is numbered to the rifle. The 10 setting on the rear sight was cross hatched for some reason, A 1960's import that I was able to get from a collector friend when he was thinning out his collection
Wood Trigger Air gun Tool Hardwood
Air gun Trigger Office supplies Wood Shotgun
Alcoholic beverage Cylinder Drink Glass bottle Font
Door Wood Fixture Door handle Gas
Brown Wood Table Wood stain Flooring
Bicycle part Bicycle fork Nickel Rim Household hardware
Musical instrument Wood Tool Artifact Art
Wood Natural material Metal Pipe Steel
Musical instrument Wood Metal Auto part Automotive exterior
Musical instrument Computer keyboard Office supplies Office equipment Input device

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Nice one. These are kinda unicornish these days. I’m sure there are some ‘very fine’ to excellent examples out there but I’ve never had my greedy mitts on one of those prom queens to even…….well, you know.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice find! Fal Grunt pointed out the fact that the Serbian M1910 also had the hash marks at the 1000 meter setting. I don't recall any explanations either for the significance of marking that setting on the rear sight.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,866 Posts
The Costa Rican contract, approximately 5000 pieces, were built in a large part from Serbian parts. I've never been able to find an explanation why the 10 was cross hatched, but all the Serbian rifles have this.
Maybe that was a reminder that the 10 marking was for 1000 meters, not 100.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice rifle and the crest is better than most I have seen!

Should be in 7x57. Jon Speed's Mauser Archives has two production numbers 5,000 (page 427) and 5,200 (page 432). Not sure which is the correct number. Both indicate production in 1911.

See Geladen's original post on the cross-hatched question: He posited that this indicates the longest range at which the rifle can be sighted for direct fire is 900 meters (9 marked on the sight), 10 and longer settings being only for volley fire

(Mausers, Only Mausers).

·
15,866 Posts
This one is a 7mm Costa Rican M1910 long rifle cut to short rifle length by Costa Rica. Note they chose to use a brass nail to secure the front band and there is no band spring remaining. It was reblued in the process and most of the crest is worn off. I got it from gunauction.com in March 2014 for $225 plus $30 shipping. Numbers are very mixed. The bayonet (with repro frog) is marked C on the spine; I don't remember where I found it.

Brown Wood Flooring Floor Plank

Brown Wood Office ruler Flooring Floor

Gas Auto part Electric blue Metal Font

Material property Wood Electric blue Font Rectangle

Wood Kitchen utensil Cutlery Water Tableware

Guitar accessory Wood String instrument accessory Bumper Tool

Wood Musical instrument Publication Wood stain Rectangle

Wood Sleeve Grey Automotive exterior Bumper

Wood Gas Electric blue Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Automotive exterior Cylinder Writing implement Nickel

·
15,866 Posts
Nice rifle and the crest is better than most I have seen!

Should be in 7x57. Jon Speed's Mauser Archives has two production numbers 5,000 (page 427) and 5,200 (page 432). Not sure which is the correct number. Both indicate production in 1911.

See Geladen's original post on the cross-hatched question: He posited that this indicates the longest range at which the rifle can be sighted for direct fire is 900 meters (9 marked on the sight), 10 and longer settings being only for volley fire

(Mausers, Only Mausers).
Thanks for posting the link. I didn't see your post until after I made my post #10.
Bill

·
15,866 Posts

·
15,866 Posts
I just looked at my bayonet. It has a s/n with an L prefix -- so, despite the C marking on the spine, it is not Costa Rican.

·
15,866 Posts
This has some pitting along the wood line and there was not much under the handguard which surprised me. Mauser Banner still visible in the stock. The usual names scratched in the stock. Stock does not match, bolt and trigger guard were renumbered to match. Barrel has the wreath proofs and is numbered to the rifle. The 10 setting on the rear sight was cross hatched for some reason, A 1960's import that I was able to get from a collector friend when he was thinning out his collection
View attachment 4004565 View attachment 4004566 View attachment 4004567 View attachment 4004568 View attachment 4004569 View attachment 4004570 View attachment 4004571 View attachment 4004572 View attachment 4004573 View attachment 4004574
Great find! I would rather have yours than my cut down version.
Bill

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
View attachment 4004565 View attachment 4004566 View attachment 4004567 View attachment 4004568 View attachment 4004569 View attachment 4004570 View attachment 4004571 View attachment 4004572 View attachment 4004573 View attachment 4004574
Wow, what a great find! She's so much better than my own CR 1910 sample - and i regard mine (with mostly scrubbed receiver crest, but still Long Rifle) as a highlight in my Mauser collection...

Congratulations, chris

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Imagine this, COSTA RICA, had a superior rifle to the German Empire 1888 Comission rifle and the USA with its Krag !! Not like this was a fluke or accident, it was true all across central and south America. And where did the money come from, Banana sales? Probably half the world was lucky to have an army with outdated black powder guns.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts