Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Bayonetcollector
Subject: Cosmoline Saturated Leather
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 1:13pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never done anything like that myself, but I imagine the mineral spirits might dry out the leather as it does to your skin if you wash with it. I'd experiment with inexpencive leather first... Caution is a good master when dealing with collectable objects. I'd not try that unless there was a severe problem to be dealt with. Unless it affects the look of the scabbard I'd try to dig out the excess with a thin steel rod or something and leave it as it is.

-------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replies:
Posted By: Joe Turner
I agree with Bayonetcollector. If the more tedious route is to clean the grease out with a long wire that has been flatened on the end to make a sort of spatulat effect. Dress the edges with a file to remove any sharp burrs. Bend this spatula tip so that about 3/8ths of an inch is about a right angles, maybe a little less. The idea being that when worked down inside the scabbard you can pull out larger quantities of grease by the scraping or scooping action of the little spatula end. After you have most of the grease cleaned out you can wipe down the interior with a thin cleaning rod and slotted tip and several patches to do the wipe down finish. Takes awhile but worth the effort. Any petroleum products on old leather will further damage the fibers by excess drying as it evaporates. By the way whle you are doing all this scooping and wiping make sure the scabbard is secured to a thin flat board to keep the leather from flexing during cleaning. The leather may seem like it is hard but it is probably brittle and too juch strain on it may cause it to crack or break completely.Just simply tape the throat and tip to the board. Good luck! Joe

-------------

Posted By: marysdad
One approach that I have used is to heat my oven up to 170 degrees (as low as it will go), shut it off, and place the scabbard vertically, open-end down, with a piece of aluminum foil underneath. Close the door and let it sit for an hour. A goodly amount of the cosmo will melt and run out from the inside. However, the oil-soaked leather will still be oil-soaked. I concur with the other posters when it comes to using mineral spirits and the like. Once you put anything on leather, there's no getting it out. You would be compounding your problem, not solving it.

-------------
809 Posts on Old Forum
98k Bayonet Collector's Network Member
NRA Life Member
www.worldbayonets.com - www.worldbayonets.com

Posted By: Geoffrey Raiser
Thanks for the help. I'll stay away from solvents and just remove as much cosmo as I can. Thanks again! Geoffrey

1 - 1 of 1 Posts