Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Mosin nagant 91/59 from aimsurplus plus 100 rounds of non-corrosive ammo. I saw there was some Russian corrosive ammo for sale $69.95 per 440 round can.

My questions:

1. Anyone use it for range work? Of course I would clean the rifle immediatly after use.

2. Is $69.95 per 440 corrosive round can outragous? Any better deals out there?

3. What's the best solvent for use in cleaning the barrel after using corrosive ammo?

Thanks...

Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Some answers

Some of these rifles shoot old, corrosive, mil-surp ammo well. Some of these rifles don't shoot anything well.

Seventy dollars for 440 rounds does sound a bit high, but it will probably not sound high in a year. I prefer Albanian (some problems with chambering in some rifles), Polish (it has steel cases that stick in some rifle chambers), Hungarian (steel cases that stick in some rifles) and Bulgarian (some lots have a significant number of neck or body splits in brass cases). The on-line dealers only have Bulgarian now. See Southern Ohio Gun and AIM. SOG has some on stripper clips, which are nice to have.

I use a series of different cleaners, starting with HOT soapy water, then drying, after which comes Hoppes #9, and oiling. Cleaning with hot soapy water is accomplished by filling a metal container with water recently boiled, placing the muzzle in it, and pushing a patch on a rod down and then pulling it back up the barrel. Pull the patch up the barrel and let the hot water stand in the barrel, then repeat. Use the patch on the rod to do the chamber and the bolt face. Dry, use Hoppes, dry, then oil. To prevent surprises, do it again the next day.

CDD

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I haven't actually received the rifle yet, and hope the barrrel is in good condition. If so, I probably won't use corrosive ammo at all. The 100 rounds I did buy is Brown Bear 185grn FMJ at $6.95 per 20 round box.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There have been rumors floating around that some of the steel-cased "non-corrosive" ammo actually is corrosive, so clean well no matter what flavor of European ammo you prefer, just to err on the side of caution. Also, don't worry about shooting corrosive, provided you do your part to keep the rifle clean. I personally use a bucket of steaming-hot soapy water (swab the CRAP out of it), then dump a pot of near-boiling water down the chamber end to flush out the soap. A few good blasts of WD-40 to get rid of the water, and oil/grease it up to preserve, and I'm done for the day.

Given that it's just a straight-pipe bolt action rifle, it's not any harder than cleaning after shooting non-corrosive, just that you need to do it every time you shoot corrosive.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I found out first-hand that the Wolf Black Box 54R ammo is corrosive, even though the box says non-corrosive. The Wolf Gold is non-corrosive.

There have been rumors floating around that some of the steel-cased "non-corrosive" ammo actually is corrosive, so clean well no matter what flavor of European ammo you prefer, just to err on the side of caution. Also, don't worry about shooting corrosive, provided you do your part to keep the rifle clean. I personally use a bucket of steaming-hot soapy water (swab the CRAP out of it), then dump a pot of near-boiling water down the chamber end to flush out the soap. A few good blasts of WD-40 to get rid of the water, and oil/grease it up to preserve, and I'm done for the day.

Given that it's just a straight-pipe bolt action rifle, it's not any harder than cleaning after shooting non-corrosive, just that you need to do it every time you shoot corrosive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always carry a bottle of windex when shooting corrosive. After the barrel has cooled a bit I spray the receiver, wipe the bolt face and flush the barrel with it. Then run a few patches down the bore, hoppes and CLP while still at the range.
I will detail clean the next day or two at home before putting it up for storage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts