Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've compared my Israeli handguard and it is a little too long, I guess the original German length one is correct? Also, what kind of barrel band(s) should go on there, standard German parts?

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Are you are sure its a Yugo made stock?.It would Not be laminate and would Not have a bolt takedown disk in the butt if it was..All the metal stock parts would be German..Handguard would be standard German size as well..

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
The Yugos also shortened some German stocks (about 1/2 inch) and altered the nose of the (German) handguard to allow the lower band to move rearward to match the alteration to the stock.
So if you have a German made stock and your handguard step does not match the ledge or seat where the lower band sits, you have a Yugo altered stock.
I have a few of the Yugo altered handguards if you need one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the replies. I found what is called a "Handguard, Short, 98K Yugoslavian" on Numrich and have ordered it, along with a german front barrel band. The stock has "1.TRZ" on the butt and it has no takedown disc so I'm pretty sure it's Yugo.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Would seem to be, but calling in advance might help?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Necroposting to the 10th degree right now. However I got some of those German reworked by Yugo. K98k stocks similarly mentioned in this thread, looking for upper handguards and the ones on Numrich no longer mention Yugoslavian.

Would it be item# 7280B?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufa...les-37349/98-39207/StocksHandguards-34393.htm

Not sure about that number. The number listed as the correct hand guard for the modified Yugo stocks they sell is #878170. If you look at the listing for their modified (shortened)Yugo stocks it gives that number to use with it.
As you might know, some Yugoslavian refurbs kept the original German barrel and will fit the standard German stock. The rifles that received the 1/2" shorter Yugoslavian made replacement barrel will use the modified stock and hand guard.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not sure about that number. The number listed as the correct hand guard for the modified Yugo stocks they sell is #878170. If you look at the listing for their modified (shortened)Yugo stocks it gives that number to use with it.
As you might know, some Yugoslavian refurbs kept the original German barrel and will fit the standard German stock. The rifles that received the 1/2" shorter Yugoslavian made replacement barrel will use the modified stock and hand guard.
Thanks Stan, these were sold to me as Yugo modified German stocks, therefore i'm assuming they are shorter by 1/2". I suppose the real test would be to try and fit my original german barrel in one and see where the handguard lines up, based on my understanding from your post regardless if I go with a German barrel or Yugo I will still need the shortened HG in order for the band to line up.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Yes, the modified stock requires the modified hand guard. The modified HG is actually the exact same overall length as the standard K98k HG. They just cut the recess for the lower band back 1/2" to align with the shortened stock. The barrel used will determine the correct stock/HG combo. As a note, the K98k action with an original length barrel or a shorter Yugo barrel will fit in either stock. The primary factor will be the distance from the bayonet lug to the muzzle. It will look "off" and a bayonet won't fit properly if the wrong length stock is used. Also, the front edge of the forward barrel step on the Yugo version will fall just behind the front edge of the upper band when a standard length stock is used. Not critical, but it leaves a slight gap at the front edge of the upper band and the barrel that just looks wrong...to me at least. Here is a photo of the Yugo modified HG (top) and a standard K98k HG(bottom) showing the difference.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I used to have a pic like that, but it was three laptops ago!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts