Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1908 Brazilian contract Mauser rifle reworked by Steyr for the Dominican Republic
in 7X57 caliber. When it was reworked by Steyr it was stamped on the receiver:
"ARMERIA F.A."
What would be the correct bayonet to go with this rifle?

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,941 Posts
Who knows if the Dominican Republic even used bayonets? I would put a Brazilian M1908 bayonet on it since that is the bayonet the rifle originally had.

Those rifles were reworked by the Dominican Federal Arsenal "ARMERIA F.A.". Steyr had nothing to do with it.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on my rifle. The ad on the auction site where I purchased this rifle, said the rifle had been reworked by Steyr & that info must have been wrong! I had wondered about a Brazilian M1908 bayonet also, since that what it started out as.

·
Registered
293 Posts
FWIW, a lot of approx. 6000 bayonets, both short and long, came in from the DR years ago. NO VIRGINS there!, along with pretty crappy scabbards and frogs, these probably made in-country. IIRC, all inspected were Brazilian origin. On the provenance of the rifles, there are two stories: that they were ALL reworked Brazilian. There is some background to this, as purchases were made by the DR from the Brazilian factory at ITAJUBA. On the other hand, the DR did have a fairly substantial industrial base(for a country that size) and made San Cristobal .30 carbines, copies of the Beretta 1949 smg in 9mm (300 bare receivers observed),ammo in at least 3 calibres-.30 carbine, 30-06 both ball and blank and .50 Browning. Gen. Diaz, who was sent by Trujillo to buy weapons in Sweden, DID confirm that they also made Mauser rifles. Did they make one or 1000? I suspect we'll never know.
HTH
Okrana

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My long barrel 7X57 Mauser rifle is like new and in excellent condition. I won mine on a auction site with the minimum opening bid of $425.00 plus shipping.
I was the only person to bid on it. If I remember right, it was listed funny and I would guess not many people saw it advertised on the auction site.
I think I just happened to stumble across the listing by accident. I would guess that they would go for much more money than what I paid for it.

·
15,941 Posts
You might check the caliber on that because the Dominicans reworked them to .30-06.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geladen: It won't chamber a 30-06 live round. It will chamber a 7X57 Mauser live round. Made in 1960 and serial number of 11XX. .308 bullet will not enter muzzle for bullet test, however, the 7mm bullet will start to enter the muzzle.

·
15,941 Posts
Then it seems not all the Brazilian M1908 rifles were recalibered to .30-06 by the Dominicans.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,941 Posts
Here is an original M.1908 bayonet shown which obviously had a second service career in the Dominican Republic:

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/Bayonets.html#Dominican Republic
No, not "obviously had a second service career in the Dominican Republic". While I will agree that M1908 bayonets may have been used with Dominican M1908 rifles (if any bayonets were used), this particular bayonet shows no evidence whatsoever of Dominican use. It is just an effort by the seller to make an overcleaned common bayonet appear to be something more rare and desirable. Even the reference given in the seller's description below says nothing about Dominican use (Jansen p.23/1).

Look at the photos first and then try to figure out what in the description may or may not be accurate. As an experienced seller, he never actually says this particular bayonet saw Dominican use. He says "This bayonet was also issued with the Dominican Republic M.1953 Mauser rifles and short rifles." which can be understood to mean "This type of bayonet was also issued with the Dominican Republic M.1953 Mauser rifles and short rifles."

Regards,
Bill

DESCRIPTION: German made Brazilian military issue M.1908 Mauser
bayonet.
Complete with a correct leather/steel scabbard. Marked on the blade
with maker's name, "Alex Coppel, Solingen". This bayonet was also issued with
the Dominican Republic M.1953 Mauser rifles and short rifles.
In the 1950-s
Dominican Republic government purchased couple of thousand of M.1908 Mauser
rifles with bayonets in Brazil. These weapons had a very short service life, as
the Dominican Republic government decided to replace them with the US surplus
Garands and M1 carbines in the early 1960-s. CONDITION: Excellent. Blade
is in fine condition.Wooden grips are in excellent condition. The
scabbard is in fine condition.(Janzen p.23/1)

·
Registered
427 Posts
On a side note I ran into a Dominican mauser yesterday at a pawn shop, $179. I had to pass. :( The cons; drilled and tapped, bolt was bent, had one of them beuhluer (how ever it's spelt) safety on it, the magazine follower wasn't working smoothly and the wood was poorly sanded and clear coated. The pros: the price, no import mark, decent bore and it had all the wood on it.

Would you have bought it? Or at what price? $150...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would have bought it for that price. You cannot find a complete action around here for less than $150.00 even one that
has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Having a decent barrel and all the wood & bands would just be extra gravy
on the deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.