Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This carbine I picked up used for 450.00,has box and one mag.It looks like a pretty correct copy of a ww2 M1 carbine,even has peep rear sight .Marked AUTO ORDANANCE on top of receiver, has a dull parked finish.Looks like a hardwood stock and forearm.Anyone shot one of these?Thought it would be great for saving wear on my original carbines,its been shot but not too much.Opinions welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi Sir,

A pal of mine bought one new from them when they first came out. 500 rounds later head-space was off, bolt lugs seemed to be very soft.
About that time Kaar (Spelling?) bought out Auto-Ordance & would not honor the warranty. He sold it for parts & bought a CMP M-1 Carbine!
You might want to check & see if it's a later M1 that the company will honor.

Plainfield, Universe also make copy's. Inland is also making a copy in the past year too.
Don't know how good the Inland is, never had a real interest in one.

I hope your carbine is a better example!

Good Luck,
point6

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
point622000,this one has the KAHR ARMS warranty papers and owners manual so must be a newer one, its covered for defects,thats good to know.I didn't know they were bringing 600.00 plus,dont think I can get hurt on this one,thanks martin for that info! Now I need to shoot it and see how it runs!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The AO and the "New" Inland are considered to be the bottom of the commercial barrel. Too many have spent more time being shipped back for repair then they are worth. The New Inland uses a lot of the cast parts made by AO including the soft bolts mentioned already. If you bought it at a good price I just would hope you didn't buy someone else's problems. Good luck to you and hope you got one of the rare good ones.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi Fellows,

We saw the pictures of the A O we can see it's a casting. As the others mentioned they seem to have "issues" IF it's only a bolt problem, can it be replaced with a Genuine G I replacement bolt? My pal also had issues with the recoil springs taking a set (soft)
He replaced them very early on. FWIW The CMP has some M1 carbines for sale from time to time. another shooter I know, just picked one up about a month ago. Don't recall the price.

Again, I wish you good luck with it,

broom

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If the bolt is soft then you will see some form of peening well before you ever hit 1000 rounds. More like before 400 rounds. Also be sure you check the receiver where the bolt locks up as once in awhile the receivers have shown signs of peening too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.