Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Diamond Member
13,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
You are very right, it isn't the time to be buying, but if you stack silver/gold/ platinum/ or even copper it is probably time to think about starting to cash in.. that's why I mention DCA tactics .. if you look at my posts about 18 month /15 months/ year ago when silver was at ~ $12 and Platinum as less than half the price of Gold.. and premiums ( the sale price over spot) were ,on the Holiday sales about 25-50( sure sign of a cold market) cents, currently they are between $8-$10 an ounce( sure sign of a hot market) ( on junk) bars rounds a couple bucks less

Right now as opposed to the normal discount under spot to sell silver .. I see Market makers buy at as much as $2 over spot.. ( on junk)
you just can't beat junk and more folks are realizing it. Junk is the one form of silver they can't make more of, is the most likely for some folks to melt down to bars( don't do that) meaning less of it, and the most useful form of silver to use in SHTF bartering. Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth? (coinflation.com) strictly melt value ,, no allowance for numismatic value.. I've posted plenty on how to go about finding $10 dimes in a sack of $2 dimes, it's a very enriching hobby.

·
Diamond Member
13,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
after thought.. when you say what goes up must come down.. that's not strictly true , prices do go up and down but the range they move in changes

we took the silver out of US coins back in 1964 because silver rose above $1.29 an ounce At a $1.30 an troy ounce ( silver is always in troy weights except sometimes scammers use avoirdupois ounces which are lighter than troy ounces ( troy weights are grains, ect. like we use in reloading) anyway at $1.30 an
ounce troy you have an ounce of silver if you have $1.30 face in dimes, quarters or halves ( pre 1965 coins ) I strongly doubt we will see that price again .. following the Hunt bros. trying to corner the silver market in the 80's silver crashed from a high of $50 back down to ~$5 and stay in that area for years Strongly doubt we will see $5 an ounce again went up to the $12 range about 2000 and that has been the bottom ( I've seen $11 but only for short blips since ) it was in the 12's 2019-2020 Thanksgiving Christmas New Years and hit $30+ in 2011 Great Recession time period .

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
You are absolutely right about "junk silver" and my wife and I realized that back in the 1970's. We started buying junk silver (dimes, quarters, half dollars and silver dollars) almost 45 years ago and folks laughed at us for not buying silver bars at 99.9% pure silver. We have been buying junk silver ever since that has a face value to it. Every time we would come back to the States while we were working overseas we would buy about $500 worth of junk silver, no matter what the price was at the time. I'm sure not sorry we did that. No we'll never see $5 silver again unless at some point a zero or two gets knocked off our paper currency.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts