Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Diamond Member
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copper has hit a 11 year high.. time to recycle brass

you won't get the best price recycling spent brass ( recycling term "Yellow Brass" because they worry about live primers and brass isn't pure copper
Copper is at $4.25 which means from my limited experience about $3.00 and $3.50 a pound

Shop around call a variety of LOCAL scrap yards , they will want to make you feel that they are doing you a favor and lowball you so don't be afraid to negotiate and play one against the other , but don't push to hard .. quantity is a good lever to get the best price , so don't be afraid to get your buddies together and divvy the money between yourself. Call around and make them make the first price offer, then work with the best offer to get the best price.

·
Diamond Member
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, if you scrounge range brass( I recover my own and anything else folks don't pick, but I ask before I clean up a nearby pile when other shooters are around

Anyway ammo prices being what they are, always look at selling once used /still has reloads in it to reloaders, and separate it , and scrap brass heading to the recycler.

I have seen lots of wolf .223 steel case that is boxer primed / reloadable.. but check steel cases carefully for rust and corrosion brass would never get. anyway in a pinch and dollar a round prices something to think about, carefully think about.

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
My dad has left me buckets of brass and copper pieces from when he worked at the gas company. Ya know those old folks who grew up in the depression save a lot of stuff. Buckets of switches, screws, bolts, washers and vacuum tubes. It's like a hardware store in his workshop.

·
Diamond Member
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can sort into it's specific alloy so only one specific alloy is in a pile it might be worth something, haven't ever met anyone that will buy mixed brass scrap
, same with aluminum, without a major price cut , Good luck

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you can sort into it's specific alloy so only one specific alloy is in a pile it might be worth something, haven't ever met anyone that will buy mixed brass scrap
, same with aluminum, without a major price cut , Good luck
Yeah, I took a bunch of Aluminum to the scrap guy by me once. He hands me my money and receipt and it was way less than what I thought it would be. I asked him why and he said "Because you had cast, extruded and such all mixed in". I told him he should have told me first . . . never went back to that guy.

I guess different alloys for different process'

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Estaban ----- I have a few buckets of old nails, screws, hinges, switches, a couple old branding irons I inherited from my folks and some old blacksmith tools my Swedish grandfather who was a wheel wright brought over from Sweden in the 1880's. He had the reputation that he could make the tightest wagon wheels in the state of Minn. He and my grandmother never learned to speak English and they lived in Minn. and Montana from the mid 1880's until they died in the late 1940's. They knew what saving metal pieces was all about. My father inherited the same traits.

·
Banned
2,161 Posts
Estaban ----- I have a few buckets of old nails, screws, hinges, switches, a couple old branding irons I inherited from my folks and some old blacksmith tools my Swedish grandfather who was a wheel wright brought over from Sweden in the 1880's. He had the reputation that he could make the tightest wagon wheels in the state of Minn. He and my grandmother never learned to speak English and they lived in Minn. and Montana from the mid 1880's until they died in the late 1940's. They knew what saving metal pieces was all about. My father inherited the same traits.
I was just over at the house digging around in a bucket to get parts for a gas line I'm running to the BBQ. Glad I found some. I said "Thanks dad". Moms still kicking around, she's 88.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My last gun show I sold 17,000+ pieces of brass. Everyone is looking for components. My local Wisconsin scrap yard is currently paying $1.74 lb. for brass. We usually do scrap some, but demand for components this last year is amazing. We sell it pretty reasonably and still come out better than scrap prices.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I've been collecting boxer primed brass for several years, almost 30 years. (At the post civilian shooting range in Germany where I was posted they asked me to come out and pick up the spent cases left on the ground. I have tens of 1000s in boxes from that facility. The US Army paid to bring it back to the States for me.) I've tumbled much of it to clean it up. Now that reloading supplies are becoming harder to find this stuff is getting to the point it is worth something. I think it could be good barter material within a year or so. The smokeless rifle and pistol powder I've been stashing away over the last 6 years (since I retired in 2014) is getting to the point it is worth something as well. Much of it could be used for barter too.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Part of my 401K is in copper. I did a quick check. I was feeling pretty foolish for a few years there. Back in the black!

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Just because stock prices might drop below what you previously paid for it a few years ago is no reason to give up on it. I've always thought that would be the time to buy more of it. The direction metal prices and the economy are headed these days scrap materials (considered junk) could become wealth builders. Have you ever read Kirk Douglas' book "The Rag Picker's Son" ?

·
Diamond Member
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Diamond Member
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, this might come as a shock, or start a crime wave.. comparatively when we talk copper we are talking the pound of copper

but salvage yards.. different treasure, catalytic converters
diesel catalytic converters ( I always get this backwards so don't quote me , you can look up the chemistry for yourself )
diesel fuel vehicles use platinum ( $1203.90 a Troy ounce as of posting)
But gasoline vehicles use palladium ( $2,933.50 per troy ounce as of posting .. just set an all time record price the other day)

in other words one troy ounce of palladium equals 644 3/4 pounds of copper

there are 31.1 grams in a troy ounce a typical car catalytic converter would have 4 to 6 grams each gram being currently worth $94.32 some SUVs and trucks can have up to 30 grams of palladium, IF they are gasoline fueled

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Vehicle salvage yard owners will most likely have to post armed guards at their gates and install electrified security fencing around their facilities.

·
Diamond Member
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
will have????? those were todays prices

·
Diamond Member
13,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a small note.. but gold and silver are doing a rocket launch today

gold up +$26
Silver starting in the high 25's this morning blew thru $26 and $27 for up as of posting $1.19 or 4.59%

copper is up 1.25% about 6 cents

usually this kind of action draws in buyers ( go figure) and sort of feeds on itself , not always, but often enough for a dedicated commodities investor like me to be watching the market all day in rapped attention. ( I know watching doesn't help it go up or down)

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
With prices on the rise as you have pointed out, this would not be a time to run out and buy stuff. As the old saying goes "what goes up must comes down". I'll stick to my own little low place back here in the mountains of Montana. I spent 52 years running around the rest of the world chasing after money, bright lights and commodities but that is all in my distant past for which I'm very happy. As for yourselves, go for it if that's what makes you guys happy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts