Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about the D stamp on the side of the chamber signfying: throated for D ammo...or heavy ball machine gun amunition...

I didn't realize I was "supposed" to shoot heavy ball in mine...I've been shooting light ball the whole time...

also some info on the number just aft of the front sight "ears"? supposedly there's a two digit number signifying the height in milimeters which the front sight post should be for zero...
i.e: 8.1 mm...

nice to pick up a couple of tidbits...actually I grew a bit worried that every article in the mag was interesting...

some dude named Lipin has a book out on the MN rifle...might have to pick that up...

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
Nice to be able to read about something other than 1911's and .50 cals...

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
You might be shocked to know there is a whole section full of pictures and in depth info located www.mosinnagant.net ----our parent site. ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The article JPS did on the M95 Mannlicher's was great. I didn't even read the Finn M39 article.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
Actually the D mark indicates the rifle was throated for the D166 Finnish round, which also means that it's large enough for the Soviet heavy ball "D" round. The Finnish D certainly indicates "D166" and not a Soviet designation. I don't know what it would have to do with machine gun ammo. It's perfectly fine to shoot light ball also and it might be more accurate in some rifles.

The number behind the front sight should also be on top of the sight blade. That's so an armorer could tell if a soldier had been making unauthorized field modifications.

Lapin's book is a good start, but don't take everything in it as gospel as there are some errors.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,400 Posts
The magazine artical was O,K, fairly generic. Lapins book 4th ed. and Bowsers book (avail. at Empire now). Along with the two great websites mentioned here. ( one of the sites a little off on there M39 rarity info., but a magnificant site none the less:rolleyes:). Study it all and you can learn alot. But you will see theres still alot of unanswered questions. ( just my two coppers).

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
The magazine artical was O,K, fairly generic. Lapins book 4th ed. and Bowsers book (avail. at Empire now). Along with the two great websites mentioned here. ( one of the sites a little off on there M39 rarity info., but a magnificant site none the less:rolleyes:). Study it all and you can learn alot. But you will see theres still alot of unanswered questions. ( just my two coppers).
Which one-

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,400 Posts
No disrespect meant to either, both magnificent. I owe you both a lot of gratitude for the information you offer. And your hard work making the information avalible to us. My attempt at humor doesn't come off to well sometimes. My nonserious jab was at Ted, thinking about 1940 sako M39 being an 8 when there were less than 22 made of which problaly less than half survived. Seems more like 10+. And the VKT/B and 1944 SKY not listed ( I don't think). But anyway no big deal I'm just a M39 nut (emphasis on nut):)

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have never seen as much accurate info as the MosinNagant.net and 7.62x54r sites. I'd like to thank both of them.

And this forum. I know a bit about firearms in all these years of shooting, study and collecting, but this place is the ultimate source. Why I like the www. The mags are a great place to get started and learn, however.

Merry Christmas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.