Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Go with loading 8mm. I have been using it for years and have taken muley's and antelope all the way out to 400 yards. If you go this route I recommend both the Hornady 150 grn SP and the Sierra 175 Pro hunter, both over 50 grains of Varget. I also recomend neck sizing your brass. This load also gives me consistent 1" groups from bench rest at 100 yards in each of my K98's.

·
Registered
263 Posts
very nice break down on the cost of converting to 30-06 maximus. thank you for the info

·
Administrator
9,320 Posts
Sell the 7,9x57 and buy a Columbian FN M1950 or M1952 Fa.Ma.Ge. Rifle, already in .30/06 ...if you really have problems with "NIH" ( Not invented here, ie, the 7,9mm) or you just don't want to handload....

Otherwise, one can reload 7,9x57 to equivalent or better than .30/06 ballistics ( the Europeans have for over a century) for sporting use.

Otherwise, don't ruin a perfectly good (milsurp) rifle and remove another piece from the slowly dwindling number of "originals" on the Planet...

Regards,
merry Christmas,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I sometimes build sporter rifles from mauser actions for a hobby. I dont use good rifles but buy butchered rifles or recievers or actions from gun shows to use. I have built a 30.06 on a k98 reciever and a 25.06 0n a turkish action. I didnt have problems with the length of the bullets too long in the reciever as some people have. You need the right action and also depending on the bullets you use may have to remove a little metal from front area of trigger guard,[very little] I didnt have to do any bolt face changes or extractor work. Also had no feeding problems so had to do no rail work at all. This was my experience and have heard of others having small problems like I explained. You have to just do see as you move along. Hope this helps a little. Im a new member by the way

·
Registered
1 Posts
After WW2 military surplus ammo (30-06) was cheap and so were 98 Mausers. Many people , including my grandfather , found it to be a very reasonable conversion compared to the price of a new M70 Winchester. So many people converted them to 06 or other popular cartridges, in fact they were so cheap back in the 50’s and 60’s people used them to build custom rifle as they were a strong action.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I purchased 4 30/06 Mausers; I purchased all 4 for $25.00 each with the understanding all four of them were suspect. I used one barrel to test all four receivers. There was not .001: difference in the length of the chamber between all 4 receivers. I used one bolt, one barrel with the 4 receivers. I built a 270 Winchester with a Brno 24, the 270 Winchester case is .041" longer than the 30/06 case.

F. Guffey

·
Registered
759 Posts
The 30-06 wil not fit in some Mausers magazine. The Turkish Mauser for sure is a no go. The K98K will take a 30-06, but hopefully your gun is not collectible and already sporterized if your planning this. Another alternative is 8MM-06. Have a gunsmith ream the chamber for 30-06 but retain the 8MM bore. Then you just have to neck size 30-06 brass to 8mm and your good to go.
If doing that might as well resize the .30-06 brass to 8mm and avoid mag issues altogether.

OP:

Loading 8mm is fun.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If the OP is still looking, there is a Mauser Gew 98 receiver (Spandau 1917) with Remington RA-2-44 30-06 Springfield Barrel in Seattle for $100.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts