Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an excellent thread on this topic posted several years ago and I thought I add another option. I sent my 50 rimfire carbine to the new Providence Tool Company for the conversion. They build modern Peabodys using original specs. They will fit in a replacement centerfire block. The replacement block has to be heat treated, and final machined to set the headspace and timing. In addition they removed the barrel to check the dimensions of the chamber and machined a coller to trim the 50/70 brass on a lathe. Since Providence is only a short drive away I was able to take some photos of the work in progress. The attached photos show some of the parts and brass. The short brass is the new one cut down next to a 50/70 case.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone interested in a similar conversion call Frank who will be glad to give you a quote. His phone number is on the Providence Tool Website.
I bought one of the first Peabodys he built several years ago and currently have another one on order. He does excellent work and I highly recommend his services. Photos below are some of his rifles. For the record I have no financial interest in his company and get no compensation from him. He does let me hang out in his shop once in a while and had helped me learn how to load black powder.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
From Mr. Peabody. Before I start a conversion, I mag particle the receiver. Any cracks show up, it goes on the mantle. I tested 3 original breechblocks for headspace,.012 was average. That was permissible for rimfire,but a no, no,for center fire..003 min.headspace. Too many frugal doityourselfers,got hurt.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Conversion update

Spent a few hours with Frank today watching him fit the block. There is a bit of hand fitting to get everything just right. At the end of the day we successfully loaded, fired (primers only) , and ejected a half dozen cases. Photos attached show the block being ground to set the headspace and the lugs for the handle machined . Result is a very tight action and everything snaps as it should when the lever is dropped and raised.
The original hammer is being replaced so it does not hit the new block. Photo shows the difference between the two. Also shown is the striker, new and old.
All that's left is to heat treat, polish, and blue the block and striker. Brass is ready, molds on the way. Should be at the range in a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to polish the parts,then heat treat them.That should do it.I did not touch or alter the rifle at all.My castings are very accurate,with very, very minimal fitting. I had to use my copy of my Connecticut hammer, since it is a tad narrower. If anyone is interested, in getting a conversion done. You will have to call me for a price quote.There was only 500 of those rifles made. Joes is a rare pristine model.There will be a write up on my rifles at the end of the month, in the Guns Of The Old West magazine fall issue.This carbine is going to the writer for a write up on the conversion. Mr. Peabody After doing modifications,adding a new hammer, now changing the hammer spring, making a new expander, ordering the dies, changing the trigger pull weight, Joe needed a trimmer with a cutter oversize for 50 cal. plus. We are almost 3 X the original quote. Right now the estimated value of the gun on low market value is about 8 gs.If there are rim fire cartridges available the gun can shoot either or. Very easy changeability! Check the Guns Of The Old West magazine, Fall issue. There is a fine article on my rifles. Good shooting , Mr. Peabody

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tested the carbine today,just primer shots.Joe took video shots of the test for U Tube.All works well,ready to get the loads for the real test.Not that big of a job when you have the right parts.I will have to find one for myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trigger pull was 12 lbs.,hammer pressure was too heavy.That was needed to penetrate the rim fire.I polished one of my springs,reduced hammer pressure by 50%.Reduced trigger pull to 3 lbs..Joe should be ready next week to test.I also replaced the sear.My parts fit perfect.Now I can finish building new rifles. A new web site will be edited in a month.You will see all of these accomplishments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its funny,but the people on ASSRA,made some astonishing remarks of my Peabody's.Claiming how inaccurate my lock plate and parts are bad. None of them owned one of my guns.Any way, When I worked on Joes hammer spring weight and trigger pull, I removed the original spring and sear,and put mine in.Other than polishing the spring, to lighten the hammer blow, and trigger pull,Those parts fit like a glove. To really feel good,I disassembled the whole unit. I used all of my new parts,they were a perfect fit and functioned perfect.When I reorganized my tooling program, I used a pristine 45-70 Connecticut rifle.Had all of the parts lazar scanned,and put on cad files.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To finish the story,all parts are castings,coming out to within .002 to the originals. Other than added material to the receiver face, and breech block face,thats it.As advertised in the 19th century, I will have the [Thoroughbred Of The Black Powder Cartridge Rifles.] Oh, another answer to the ASSRA guys, my stocks are totally machined on a 4th axis cnc.My lock plates,trigger plates, or the originals,fit size on size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very,interesting,an article was released in the Guns Of The Old West magazine on the new model Peabody's.Check it out.The past of the Peabody helped bring in the new precise rifles of future black powder cartridge Peabody rifles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
An article was released in the Guns Of The Old West magazine, fall issue.The history of the Peabody and its quality and precision,paved way to the to the new and precise Peabody black powder cartridge rifles.The new 21 st century thoroughbred of single shot rifles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.