Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently working overseas, but should be returning to the US early 2023 (+/-) I have unfortunately come to the conclusion Colorado isn't what it used to be, and the state is not moving in a direction I'm happy with ....

Anyway, the Black Hills area of SD and N/NE TN are the top 2 candidates on my list. Since firearms are among my main interests, both SD and TN fit the bill. Both pretty much tics the rest of the important "boxes" on my list too.
I'm familiar with the Black Hills area and love it, but I haven't been to TN yet. TN it on my next years vacation list - to check out. Going to be looking for a place where the neighbors are far enough away that they won't get too annoyed by the noise when me and my better half are shooting (at least 22LR) on my property. It also needs to be fairly close to city or town where you can get your fill of being in a city (to get shopping and other stuff done, but also to be reminded that living away from the city is pretty good :D )

From what I'm being told the people in TN (at least away from the Nashville and Memphis area) are generally friendly and quite laid back - and in many respects the same way as in the Black Hills area of SD.
I'd appreciate input or thoughts from any of you guys that know TN. I have a few friends that live in NE TN, and they all love it there, but as me they are also "transplants" in the US and don't have quite in depth knowledge about TN.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Is work and schools important too? I would not want to grow old in the winters of SD. You probably have no idea on that account. Believe me, the body changes. That is one point for TN. But where?

As far as friendly, you got good and not so good everywhere. One bad family can translate to an ongoing crime wave of burglaries. I did have a casual aquaintace move to TN and at first they were a little stand offish. I am sure that varies. He was from a communist state with communist political ideas. You might be a better fit. Then there is often this anti-outsider mind set. I would not worry about it. My real point is your actual experience maybe just random luck of the draw.

You have friends in TN? As you get older good friends are harder to come by. Move close to one of them. That is a good start.

I notice one thing, people resent extreme homes, mansions or trailer park. If you build or even buy, try and fit in to the neighborhood.

·
Silver Bullet member
51,116 Posts
I'm currently working overseas, but should be returning to the US early 2023 (+/-) I have unfortunately come to the conclusion Colorado isn't what it used to be, and the state is not moving in a direction I'm happy with ....

Anyway, the Black Hills area of SD and N/NE TN are the top 2 candidates on my list. Since firearms are among my main interests, both SD and TN fit the bill. Both pretty much tics the rest of the important "boxes" on my list too.
I'm familiar with the Black Hills area and love it, but I haven't been to TN yet. TN it on my next years vacation list - to check out. Going to be looking for a place where the neighbors are far enough away that they won't get too annoyed by the noise when me and my better half are shooting (at least 22LR) on my property. It also needs to be fairly close to city or town where you can get your fill of being in a city (to get shopping and other stuff done, but also to be reminded that living away from the city is pretty good :D )

From what I'm being told the people in TN (at least away from the Nashville and Memphis area) are generally friendly and quite laid back - and in many respects the same way as in the Black Hills area of SD.
I'd appreciate input or thoughts from any of you guys that know TN. I have a few friends that live in NE TN, and they all love it there, but as me they are also "transplants" in the US and don't have quite in depth knowledge about TN.
come to borders of West Virgina.....
land still cheep property, tax's, utilities, general cost of living!
far enough away from, closer to bigger cities hour away.....
only disadvantages air major travel...maybe two hours drive hospitals related to specific problems ...?
i like the isolation from modern problems!
yet replace with sociality issues related to cultural difference looked at by city folk!
lived raise here....
i am the cultural difference your mama warned about in these dark hills, mts<><dan!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is work and schools important too? I would not want to grow old in the winters of SD. You probably have no idea on that account. Believe me, the body changes. That is one point for TN. But where?

School and work isn't important since I will be retired or to be retired when I move to either SD or TN. The winters don't bother me all that much, since I'm Finnish/Norwegian and grew up with rough winters (and CO can be quite rough at times too) - and being retired, well - I don't have to worry about a commute to and from work. But when that is said I would prefer the milder climate TN can offer.

As far as friendly, you got good and not so good everywhere. One bad family can translate to an ongoing crime wave of burglaries. I did have a casual aquaintace move to TN and at first they were a little stand offish. I am sure that varies. He was from a communist state with communist political ideas. You might be a better fit. Then there is often this anti-outsider mind set. I would not worry about it. My real point is your actual experience maybe just random luck of the draw.

Having been military and law enforcement 95 % of my work life I would like to distance myself as much as I can from the type of people I have dealt with, and crime stats are of course something I will look at and try to read something out of.
You make a very good point with regards to friends. I have a good network in CO, but CO is no longer "my" state. Still a wonderful state as such, but the politics and the "wild" influx of people moving in has made it ... well ...not my state ...:rolleyes:
I have a few friends in TN, Erwin, Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport area, and a former partner from my SO in Colorado who just moved to a smaller town south of Nashville. I'm currently mostly keeping an eye on properties east of the of the I-75, I-81 corridor.
Another factor is that travelling back to Europe is somewhat easier and shorter than from SD, or CO ... If I can save an hr or three flying time it would be a huge bonus

You have friends in TN? As you get older good friends are harder to come by. Move close to one of them. That is a good start.

I notice one thing, people resent extreme homes, mansions or trailer park. If you build or even buy, try and fit in to the neighborhood.

I always try to blend in with the surroundings, learn about the do's and don't and keep a fairly low profile ;)

Reactions: N8theSk8

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
only disadvantages air major travel...maybe two hours drive hospitals related to specific problems ...?
yet replace with sociality issues related to cultural difference looked at by city folk!
lived raise here....
i am the cultural difference your mama warned about in these dark hills, mts<><dan!
Taxes, especially the lack of state taxes on retirement income in both SD and TN are a big plus in my book. Property prices that are significantly lower than CO is also a major factor, and the less leftwing CA liberal attitudes I come across the better it will be 🙃
I don't crave isolation, but a bit more space around me, and not to be looked at as a freak just because I have an interest in guns and shooting. For me a nice day at the range is mental hygiene, because I enjoy it and have to be fully focused on what I'm doing ....
Once on vacation in TN I might take a look a bit further north too...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Live in Tn... grew up here.... rest of family in PA. Love Tn. High state sales tax.... NO Income tax. State has 3 regions, east with mountains and rivers, middle hills and lakes, west flat land and the Mississippi river. From Nashville you are a one full day drive to 3/4 of the population of this country. Nashville has an international airport which is nice if you wish to visit family over seas or just to travel in general and love the airport here. It is humid here.... so if you are not use to this and are not aware of this part of the country, the summers can be ... well.... tropical.

Where your talking about living is very pretty with very remote areas. I would look more in middle Tn but that is pure preference. People are very friendly and will give you the shirt off their backs but will turn an eye depending on how you treat them back. I would not personally talk about politics or religion until you get to know people.... there are stong thoughts here on those subjects. (If some one says bless your heart... you may want to question what you just said because that can mean different things depending on the circumstance.)

Unfortunately or not the secret of Tn is out and it seems people are fleeing certain parts of our country and alot of people are moving here and with that the price of land, houses has sky rocketed in the last year or so. Trust me as I am in the appraisal business. Never would have thought a condo in down town Nashville under 1000 sq ft would sell for almost 800k. Good deals still abound especially in the more rural counties.

Sounds like you are level headed and thoughtful in your approach and Im sure you will find a nice place to retire.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
I lived around the Memphis area for about 9 years. Memphis sucks in every way except for the food and gun shops/gun related stuff. Lots of gunshops though and a great range just east of it(MSSA). Best areas around there are Collierville or east of Memphis at least 10 miles out of city limits. North of Memphis isn't bad either around the Brighton area. North Mississippi(Southaven) is too close but it's still nice. If guns are your thing qnd you want easy access to an awesome range and the heart of Memphis to gain quickest routes to gunshops/pawnshops then living off of Canada exit off 40 is the way to go. Great country out there and 10 min from a great range, 20 min from big stores and 40 min from anything you'd ever need.

Hope this helps for Memphis info.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Live in Tn... grew up here.... rest of family in PA. Love Tn. High state sales tax.... NO Income tax. State has 3 regions, east with mountains and rivers, middle hills and lakes, west flat land and the Mississippi river. From Nashville you are a one full day drive to 3/4 of the population of this country. Nashville has an international airport which is nice if you wish to visit family over seas or just to travel in general and love the airport here. It is humid here.... so if you are not use to this and are not aware of this part of the country, the summers can be ... well.... tropical.

I'm aware of the humidity - or rather have been warned about it. A friend of mine jokingly said that if Satan had armpits it would likely be like TN during the summer - and I'm not convinced he was joking 😁 I think that is my "main concern" with TN (at least as far as what I know about TN) but I have been stationed in the middle east, in high humidity areas and I did walk away from it being alive and still with most of my sanity intact.

Where your talking about living is very pretty with very remote areas. I would look more in middle Tn but that is pure preference. People are very friendly and will give you the shirt off their backs but will turn an eye depending on how you treat them back. I would not personally talk about politics or religion until you get to know people.... there are stong thoughts here on those subjects. (If some one says bless your heart... you may want to question what you just said because that can mean different things depending on the circumstance.)

I hardly ever discuss religion or politics, unless it is with close friends - the topics have their own way of suddenly ending up in the wrong direction, so to speak. As far as the area - thanks for the pointer towards the middle of TN. I don't care too much for "pancake" country, I need to have hills and forests if not mountains. In CO those kind of areas come with a significant premium, unless you want to live where there is nothing, or less than nothing :sneaky:

Unfortunately or not the secret of Tn is out and it seems people are fleeing certain parts of our country and alot of people are moving here and with that the price of land, houses has sky rocketed in the last year or so. Trust me as I am in the appraisal business. Never would have thought a condo in down town Nashville under 1000 sq ft would sell for almost 800k. Good deals still abound especially in the more rural counties.

Yes, I've heard about the unfortunate fact that the secret about TN is out, and the fact that it creates pressure on the real estate market - same story in CO. Just since March the estimate on my house in CO (much due to the area I live in) has gone up with more than $40k - and we are talking about a normal family house, nothing fancy. If nothing else I'm not losing ground with regards to the real estate prices in the places I have been keeping an eye on, but time will tell and it's still a bit until I'm done with my contract here in Europe

Sounds like you are level headed and thoughtful in your approach and Im sure you will find a nice place to retire.

·
Registered
366 Posts
lived raise here....
Amen to this! As another West Virginian, I would also highly recommend checking out the Mountain State as a possible location. Great place to live despite the problems the state faces. Another good point about WV is that if you’re into guns, as of the first of this month, we no longer have sales tax on guns or ammo.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lived around the Memphis area for about 9 years. Memphis sucks in every way except for the food and gun shops/gun related stuff. Lots of gunshops though and a great range just east of it(MSSA). Best areas around there are Collierville or east of Memphis at least 10 miles out of city limits. North of Memphis isn't bad either around the Brighton area. North Mississippi(Southaven) is too close but it's still nice. If guns are your thing qnd you want easy access to an awesome range and the heart of Memphis to gain quickest routes to gunshops/pawnshops then living off of Canada exit off 40 is the way to go. Great country out there and 10 min from a great range, 20 min from big stores and 40 min from anything you'd ever need.

Hope this helps for Memphis info.
Based on what I know of Memphis (and the problems with the area) I have not looked much even in the area around, but it's good to know that one doesn't have to go way too far away before one is in more "friendly territory"
For me, space, forests, cats guns old cars, old trains, history ...and Bumblebees are things I'm interested in and fascinated with/by so it's nice to hear that Memphis at least offers good hunting grounds for guns, and a great range to shoot at is definitely a bonus.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the area !

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Well if you do decide to make it here there are alot of active gun board members that would get together for rifle matches or trips to private and local ranges and your invitation is open. West Tn groups have regular sniper matches and there are many private ranges that are increadible. Keep your head down and your powder dry and hope to see you in the future here in Tn.. Good luck

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amen to this! As another West Virginian, I would also highly recommend checking out the Mountain State as a possible location. Great place to live despite the problems the state faces.
I might just check it out. Thanks for the pointer !

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well if you do decide to make it here there are alot of active gun board members that would get together for rifle matches or trips to private and local ranges and your invitation is open. West Tn groups have regular sniper matches and there are many private ranges that are increadible. Keep your head down and your powder dry and hope to see you in the future here in Tn.. Good luck
Awesome - and thanks !

·
Registered
242 Posts
The North East corner of Alabama may be a place for you to consider , low taxes as a whole when viewed as a State , would put you close to major airports , close to the mountain,s , and gun friendly .

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would not want to grow old in the winters of SD. You probably have no idea on that account. Believe me, the body changes.
I am actually navigating these very issues and can report first hand this is excellent advice, having moved last fall into the small town/rural home I bought years ago and rented out until then. (Northwoods, not Tennessee.)
I've been making regular visits several times a year, and resided here on-and-off for periods in the 1980s and '90s.

I was attracted to the specific location because a good friend with young fam moved and built a life here when we were still young punks. That is my "anchor" contact. Over the years I was intentional about building a network here, which is still thin but now getting strengthened by being "on-site" full time. Enlarging it is always a challenge with no guarantees.

Turns out those were all good moves I was lucky (and a little smart) to make. Those community/social issues are also real, and I'm lucky/smart to not be arriving now as a complete stranger.

Good advice also about the physical restrictions imposed by age; having a social network in place matters there too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
"Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport area"

We live about 1 1/2 hours away from the above and travel there once in awhile because our rural area doesn't have everything we need. Have thought about moving to Eastern TN if VA continues down its current path, but we don't have family or really any friends there, so I don't know how God is going to lead us.

It's very red and has lots of guns!:)

Seems to be a friendly place, has better large hospitals, and beautiful country surrounding. Somewhere out from the cities and at least in the suburbs would probably be a nice place to live.

It's probably so anywhere, but you do have to watch out for drug-infested areas especially in some of these little, out-of-the way areas in WV, VA, and probably TN, so that's something to watch out for. You might think you've got yourself a nice, secluded area to live in but might find yourself with not-so-nice, problematic neighbors.

I would think the WV economy will not fair as well in coming years, but that may not be an issue for you.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Life long Black Hills resident here... love what it was, do not like what it's becoming. Home prices are skyrocketing from all the people moving in. Used to be able to find a decent place in town for 100-150k, now you'll be in a bidding war and will pay double that. Nice places out of town are half a mil and up. Property taxes are way up as well. The winters do suck and yes those of us who have been here definitely resent our new neighbors and their McMansions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Come to Kentucky, people and things are about the same, however government and law enforcement has higher education and gets paid more.

Also Kentucky has no sales tax on food, and everything else is 6%

TN sales tax is 11%

·
Registered
913 Posts
I’ve lived in TN for the past 25+ years (west TN specifically… ). Residency in Memphis… ehhhh. Then Paris since.. smaller town. Lots of room. Would never move away for lots of reasons and all good. Can get to anywhere relatively quickly including Nashville and Memphis. Can be isolated if interested.. the state sales tax rate is 9.5 %. Which is 1000x better that income tax yearly. I remember that in North Carolina. That was a double screw at tax time. Not sure I would want to live anywhere else. And to clarify, I don’t have a personality disorder that would keep me away from folks. I enjoy being around people but can easily escape when I want to. Bmont is correct about 3 parts of Tennessee to live in. You either want mountain or hills and lakes. I’d steer clear of Memphis. Rarely go anymore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in the Johnson city/ Bristol area, have my whole life. The area is good most people are very friendly. Beware of the wanna be ******* culture from the younger crowd. Drugs and crime are not a big issue unless you are living in downtown Johnson City or Kingsport. Not much to do here at all, and not much high paying careers or jobs. We pay a higher sales tax but no state income tax. Happy to answer any questions you may have about the area.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts